Bedroom sleeper for 3

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Neciebugs

Hi,

I am taking my two sons from San Diego to Seattle this summer and have paid for the sleeper. I had to call in because it was for three of us. The third person (my youngest) does not get free meals. Will he still be able to dine with us or have food in the room? Not sure how this works with reservations in the dining room... we are all first timers on amtrak. Any thoughts?

~Denise

If they booked the 3 of you in the room then all 3 of you should get meals.

Despite what a phone reservation agent may have told you, all three of you are entitled to meals in the dining car. There is always a slight chance that you'll hit some crew member who doesn't know this, but most are aware of the rules and the rules state that all occupants of the room are entitled to meals in the dining car.

Even if you hit a crew that gives you a hard time, he can still join you in the dining car. You'll just have to pay for his meal.

But again, most crews know that 3 meals are included with the Bedroom.

Alan beat me to the punch, but yes. If all 3 of you are booked in the same sleeper on the reservation then all 3 should have the meals included as part of that. The meal allowance is up to the Maximum Capacity of the Sleeper. If you were exceeding the maximum capacity, then Amtrak should not allow you to book it. Since you are booked, you should be set.

3 people in a bedroom is a bit more uncommon than 2 so all of the crew members may not know this. If you dine in the dining car just let them know that you would like a reservation for 3. Regardless if the crew includes the 3rd meal or not, you can book a reservation for all 3 people.

Thanks! The reservation clerk said I would have to purchase his meals, and I will be happy to do so if required... I wanted to make sure he could dine with us... so it will work! I am getting more and more excited about our trip... :) I have never been on a train other than theme park trains, San Diego Trolley and the Coaster. My oldest who will be 19 when we travel was obsessed with trains as a small boy. We are going on an Alaskan cruise out of Seattle, and I can honestly say, he is more excited about the train ride then he is about his first cruise!

~Denise

Denise,

Phone agents have been saying that for years, despite efforts to get them to stop, or so I understand.

But in the employee's handbook, which every worker on the train is issued a copy of, it quite clearly states how many meals per room are included. IIRC, it states 4 meals for the Bedroom, but it might be 3. I'm certain that it is at least 3. So again, you should have no problem. But again, worst case scenario would be that you'll have to pay for one meal. But eating together should not be a problem no matter what.

Everyone booked in the sleeper is entitled to meals. So if you've got your name on the manifest, you're set. If you get questioned, just show your reservation with the names.

I did have a trip where two people were in a roomette, and the third person was in coach. They didn't have any issue with us booking a reservation for 3. The person in coach had to pay, of course.

Do note that the lower bunk is about the size of a twin bed. With a child who doesn't mind sleeping with you, this should be fine. If you put two adults in the room, the two in the lower bunk need to be really cozy.

Everyone booked in the sleeper is entitled to meals. So if you've got your name on the manifest, you're set. If you get questioned, just show your reservation with the names.
I did have a trip where two people were in a roomette, and the third person was in coach. They didn't have any issue with us booking a reservation for 3. The person in coach had to pay, of course.

Do note that the lower bunk is about the size of a twin bed. With a child who doesn't mind sleeping with you, this should be fine. If you put two adults in the room, the two in the lower bunk need to be really cozy.
Alan,

Thanks for your input. I have the deluxe bedroom. The reservation rep said it was almost as large as a full bed. I'm not too worried... My 13 year old is tiny. He only weighs about 75 lbs and is not quite 5 feet... I am 5'1". Worst case scenario... I can always pack my hiking camp pad just in case... and he can sleep on that. My oldest will have the top bunk. I'll probably be in the chair most when in the cabin. I think I will ask to have the top bunk down for the duration, so all 3 of us have our own space.

The more I read, the more excited I get!

~Denise

Last edited by a moderator:
Misinformed phone agents really get my goat.

A twin mattress is 39" wide.

The lower bunk in a Superliner bedroom is 40" wide.

A full size mattress is 54" wide.

You'll be fine with the 3 of you (I'd consider making the boys share the lower and take the upper for yourself), and all 3 of you are absolutely entitled to meals (please don't pay for one of them!), but I really wish that phone agents were better at their jobs.

Misinformed phone agents really get my goat.
A twin mattress is 39" wide.

The lower bunk in a Superliner bedroom is 40" wide.

A full size mattress is 54" wide.

You'll be fine with the 3 of you (I'd consider making the boys share the lower and take the upper for yourself), and all 3 of you are absolutely entitled to meals (please don't pay for one of them!), but I really wish that phone agents were better at their jobs.
HAHA! Ryan, that is great, it is "TECHNICALLY" larger than a twin by an inch! ;-) I am not sure I could get the boys to sleep together... I am not so worried about sleeping with my youngest... He sleeps like a rock. I slept with him for a couple of years during my separation (ex-husband had his bed until he moved out.)

BTW, thanks for the advice!

On the meals - from Amtrak's Service Standards Manual:

Sleeper_Meals.png

Here are the number of people allowed to be ticketed into your room:

Blue_Book_Bedroom.png

You can even have 3 adults in a bedroom, and all 3 get meals (and desserts too).

BTW - Dessert is included and very nice too...

I also have heard that you can even travel with 4 in a bedroom - if it is daytime travel (no beds turned down). One person in the chair and three on the sofa.

Example - the Northbound Silver Star from Miami to New York City arrives in Raleigh, NC at around 8:45 AM. It departs Raleigh around 9 AM and arrives in NYC at around 7 PM. The train has two Vewliner sleeping cars with bedrooms and roomettes, and they often have one or two bedrooms available by Raleigh, or at least by Richmond - which can be booked again at a discount.

So 4 people could book the one room - making it a very affordable First Class trip for four to NYC.

Not sure if that is still true, and I have never tried this.

BTW - your trip to Seattle will be on the "Coast Starlight" from LA to Seattle. It is one of Amtrak's best trains and about my favorite route for scenic views and accommodations. I think that you will spend very little time in the bedroom. Be sure to head down to the Sightseer lounge early out of LA to get a good seat, or check out the Pacific Parlor car which is very nice. They even show movies in the lower level of the Pacific Parlor car. The kids will love it.

Great views of the Pacific Ocean too.

I also have heard that you can even travel with 4 in a bedroom - if it is daytime travel (no beds turned down). One person in the chair and three on the sofa.
Blue_Book_Non_Berth.png

That is correct (you can see the "P" in the 4-F (4 full fares adults) in the center column for bedrooms).

It is also not limited to daylight hours - as long as you don't put the bed down, it doesn't matter what time of day or for how long.

I would definitely recommend the Pacific Parlor car. No real reason to head all the way to the Sightseer, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back