Pennsylvanian - Coach vs Business Class

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jersey42

Service Attendant
How much of a difference is there between coach and business class on the Pennsylvanian? Are the coaches Amfleet I or II?

The rest of the train (except one car) is Amfleet-II, Business class is an Amfleet-I full business class car (no half cafe car with the leather seats) so coach actually has more legroom (accept for the one Amfleet-I) than Business Class!

Did a Philadelphia to Paoli and back from Exton (a Keystone the short distance from Paoli to Exton for the extra points) points run on the Pennsylvanian last week with a friend and were allowed to sit anywhere for both directions. We choose seats in an Amfleet-II and I fully reclined and had a great 20 minute cat nap on the ride back into Philly.

When I rode the Pennsylvanian it still had the half cafe/half business class car with the 2-1 leather seating. That made business class more worthwhile, imo. I wish the full business class cars had the 2-1 leather seats.

I believe the seat pitch should be about the same for the business class Amfleet I and the Amfleet II coaches. (Amfleet I business class car seats 60, Amfleet II coach seats 59 as I recall.) One advantage of the Amfleet II coaches, however, is the larger window size.

When I rode the Pennsylvanian it still had the half cafe/half business class car with the 2-1 leather seating. That made business class more worthwhile, imo. I wish the full business class cars had the 2-1 leather seats.
I believe the seat pitch should be about the same for the business class Amfleet I and the Amfleet II coaches. (Amfleet I business class car seats 60, Amfleet II coach seats 59 as I recall.) One advantage of the Amfleet II coaches, however, is the larger window size.
When did you take your trip? When I rode the Pennsy back in 2012, we sat in a regular Amfleet I coach marked "Business Class." I miss the 2-1 seating, but since my trains were full in BC, perhaps Amtrak felt it needed to add extra capacity on this route.

I don't think I drank enough free coffee to justify the added expense :p

Anyone know how many of the 2x1 Faux Leather BC/Cafe cars exist and what lines they are on? I hear they get rotated around, but I don't think that's really the case. I'm sure the higher demand trains probably get the Amfleet I's with Amfleet II seat pitch and the low demand routes get the lower capacity seating...

Anyone know how many of the 2x1 Faux Leather BC/Cafe cars exist and what lines they are on? I hear they get rotated around, but I don't think that's really the case. I'm sure the higher demand trains probably get the Amfleet I's with Amfleet II seat pitch and the low demand routes get the lower capacity seating...
I don't have a Roster or know the Exact Number of these Cars but the Routes I've Booked in the Past Couple of Years in Biz Class that had them include:

#66-#67 on the NEC

Wolverines

Missouri River Runner/Lincoln Services

The Maple Leaf

Surfliners (Single Level Consist)

I don't have a Roster or know the Exact Number of these Cars but the Routes I've Booked in the Past Couple of Years in Biz Class that had them include:
#66-#67 on the NEC

Wolverines

The Maple Leaf

Does the Vermonter still have such?

#66-#67 on the NEC

Wolverines

The Maple Leaf

Does the Vermonter still have such?
:blush: Opps, The Vermonter and The Downeaster also!! :hi:

Last edited by a moderator:
They used to be on the Palmetto, but I guess demand increased, so they swapped it out for the Amfleet. :(

It looks like, according to OTOL, that there are 11 of these cars in service. Apparently they are called Club-Dinette conversions. On the exterior, they are labled Cafe on one end and BusinessClass on the other.

Possibly the Ethan Allen Express - at least it had 'em when I took the train to Vermont in 2008.

They used to be on the Palmetto, but I guess demand increased, so they swapped it out for the Amfleet. :(
It looks like, according to OTOL, that there are 11 of these cars in service. Apparently they are called Club-Dinette conversions. On the exterior, they are labled Cafe on one end and BusinessClass on the other.
If there were 11 there wouldn't be enough on the system. The correct number is 44.

If there were 11 there wouldn't be enough on the system. The correct number is 44.
You're both wrong individually! :eek: However, together you are both correct. :)

There are 44 Amfleet Club-Dinettes (which is indeed the name for the half cafe, half BC with the faux-leather seats) and there are 11 Horizon Club-Dinettes for a total of 55 in the fleet.

The cars regularly see use on the Vermonter, Maple Leaf, Ethan Allen, many of the routes out of Chicago, and one Pacific Surfliner consist. Once the new bi-level cars come in for the Chicago hub, that will free up a lot of the Club-Dinettes for use elsewhere.

There are also 44 "regular" Amfleet BC cars with the 2 & 2 system that largely see use on the NEC runs.

Very interesting information on the various cars throughout the Amtrak system.

It sounds like the consensus on my original question is not to pay extra for business class on the Pennsylvanian. I just need to be sure to get a seat in one of the Amfleet II coaches. These seats are comparable, and might have slightly more leg room. They just do not have the leg rest.

There are 44 Amfleet Club-Dinettes (which is indeed the name for the half cafe, half BC with the faux-leather seats) and there are 11 Horizon Club-Dinettes for a total of 55 in the fleet.
Do the 11 Horizon cars also have the 2-1 faux-leather la-z-boy seating?
I've heard reports that a few of the cars have a cloth cover, instead of the faux-leather, but I've not seen any. Not that I've been in all that many of the cars.

However, it is still the same base seat with the extra room and all the other goodies. And it is still 2 & 1 seating, so the comfort is otherwise the same.

Very interesting information on the various cars throughout the Amtrak system.
It sounds like the consensus on my original question is not to pay extra for business class on the Pennsylvanian. I just need to be sure to get a seat in one of the Amfleet II coaches. These seats are comparable, and might have slightly more leg room. They just do not have the leg rest.
I was on the Pennsylvanian recently and they do have a leg rest in those better coaches.

I got a free 'upgrade' yesterday with just a coach ticket. There was one in use as a cafe car on train 148 that also had a regular Amfleet i full car for buissiness class. I only took the train from MET to NWK to start a MET-NWK-NYP (yesterday) NYP-NRO (today) NRO-NHV-SPG (tomorrow with another ticket to SYR by actual destination on the Lake Shore)

I found the seat not as comfortable as at least a Superliner seat and too far away from the window. The legrest basically unusable (not enough legroom) and the footrest too high up.

I ended up taking coach from NYP to PGH and I returned in business class. I made to sure to sit in one of the Amfleet II cars on the coach trip.

As several people pointed out, there was no difference in the seating between the two. It seemed identical to me. The free beverages and small pillow were not worth the upgrade. The only real difference between the two were the passengers. In coach there were a couple of people singing loud religious chants for about two hours. A few people sitting close by moved, but no one seemed to be terribly bothered. Business class was much quieter.

What :eek: I've never seen anyone sing loud religious chants or anything on AMTRAK for that matter..

You could've always moved to the quiet car right? There is a quiet car on the Pennsy isn't there? Actually now that I think about it I'm not sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back