Spring break trip for 2013

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jb64

OBS Chief
For my daughter's spring break, she wanted to go out west again sowe took a regional from Was to Nyp, the Lakeshoe Ltd to Chicago, the California Zephyr to Sacramento, the coast Starlight to Seattle, the Empire Builder to Essex, then Empire Builder to Chicago and the Cap Ltd back to DC.

Instead of a trip report, I thought I would share my photo-essay.

A couple of side notes:

1. On time performance was pretty darn good. We arrived about 40 mins late into Chicago on the Lsl, the CS was about an hour late picking us up in SAC, and we were an hour late into Chi on the EB.

2. I was really underwhelmed by the Club Acela at Nyp. The ones at BOS, PHL, and WAS are much better.

3. OBS were pretty good on the entire trip except for dining car crew we had on EB from Essex to CHI.

4. Trains much busier and crowded this year compared to last year.

5. The layover in SAC is brutal. Don't particularly like that station, either. I will try to avoid that layover in the future.

6. Equipment was in pretty good shape.

7. Lots of first-time riders encountered.

When I made the CZ to CS connection, I requested Emeryville rather than Sacramento because of the walking that has to be done at SAC. EMY is a better station, plus it makes for an end to end run of the CZ. The layover is not as long either.

Oops, I will try to fix that. Thanks for letting me know,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back