Washington DC Hotel Info needed

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Next month making a swing with grandson from SAS to Phil then to DC returning via NOL. Looking for suggestions in DC area for hotel that would enable us to connect Union station and Metro with hotel. Also does Union station have a lounge for first class passengers to hold luggage for half day?

Yes, Washington Union Station has a Club Acela with an unattended bag storage room for first class passengers.

As for hotels, the Washington region has a lot of hotels. Depending on how much you want to spend and how far you are willing to travel, there's a variety of options.

If you're looking for something a bit cheaper, I'd suggest looking in Downtown Silver Spring (Metro Red Line, 6 stops north of Union Station) or out the other branch of the Red Line (Van Ness, Bethesda, Rockville). You can probably find other cheap hotels in northern Arlington (between Rosslyn and Ballston on the Orange Line) or around Crystal City or Alexandria (Blue and Yellow Lines).

I'd suggest using Hotels.com to get a sense of prices. They even have a map you can use, which has Metro stations on it.

I stayed here last April with family members. It is pricey, but my brother (who was paying) found a good deal on Priceline (I think). It is near the National Zoo. I loved it because we stayed in the older section and I love old architecture.

The Red Line Metro stop's elevator is at the corner near the older section of the hotel.

It's also near a "downtown" area where we had dinner the one night we were there.

Washington Marriott Wardman Park

2660 Woodley Road NW · Washington, District Of Columbia 20008 USA

If you don't mind spending some bucks, may I suggest one of the several Kimpton hotels in the DuPont Circle area. ( Red Line ). They are upscale and somewhat quirky. Www.kimptonhotels.com

I would suggest the Hotel Harrington, an older hotel with a great location. One stop on the metro from Union Station and a block from the Metro Center subway. Two blocks to the mall and the museums.

We usually stay at the Fairfax Embassy Row (formerly the Westin Embassy Row) at DuPont Circle.

It is a lovely charming older hotel in a very nice area. It is on the Red Line Metro direct from the

Amtrak Station.

Fairfield inn @ Chinatown. What a beautiful place. Clean and affordable. I go here on all my WAS trips.

I have taken my grandson to Washington DC a couple of times; each time by way of Amtrak (we even took the Acela for the first time, our last time to DC).

We stay at the Embassy Suites at the Washington Convention Center. With a separate bedroom, I can put him to bed at something close to his regular bedtime, close the door, but still watch TV in the living area. The hotel has an open bar in the late afternoon for all guests, and beyond the expected usual, has fancy non-alcoholic drinks just for the kids.

We take a taxi from Union Station to/from the hotel. It isn't all that far, and therefore, doesn't cost all that much.

I'll be in DC at the end of the week and I am staying at The Mayflower Hotel. It's about a mile away from the Union station. I've stayed here several times before, it's a really nice hotel.

Both the Marriott Wardman Park and the Mayflower are lovely hotels. The Omni Shoreham is another older yet elegant hotel right next to the Marriott that I recommend. I've gotten nighty rates as low as $79/night at these hotels via Priceline.

I hear there's a nice place at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave where you can sleep in the Lincoln Bedroom, if you contribute enough $$$ to the occupant's Campaign Chest.

Just got back from this trip. Had a great ride on the Capital Ltd. Very smooth.

Found the Philadelphia Penn station to be a real gem. Would recommend it as a need to see. It was much more organized, and easier to get around in than either Chicago or DC.

Also had a good ride on the Crescent.

New Orleans station is bright and new. They now have a street car at the station that goes to Canal so it an easy ride to some hotels in that area

Time to stop trashing the Sunset Ltd. The ride is incredible smooth from NOL to San Antonio. We were early into Lake Charles (25min), Beaumont (40 minutes), Houston (one hour) and San Antonio (30 minutes). Not sure if freight traffic is down or just great scheduling. Passed by at least 8 freight trains along the way and was held up only once at one siding.

Was surprised as to how few fellow passenger were unaware of the Amtrak awards card which afforded me this travel opportunity.

If you have any questions about specific, would be glad to answer them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back