Stations with curved platforms

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I doubt this is used for Amtrak, but I know stations on the Washington Metro with curved platforms had mirrors that allow the motorman/engineer to see the entire platform to ensure safety.
Which stations would those be? Offhand, I can't think of any DC Metro stations that have noticeably curved platforms. The system was built to a design standard with 600' long platforms.

Amtrak, on the other hand, has a number of legacy stations with low level platforms on curves.
I ought to remember, but I don't. I probably have the track charts for the earlier lines boxed away somewhere from when I worked there. I think at least one, and maybe a couple of the stations between Union Station and Silver Spring where the line is between the railroad mains have curves, but they are of large radius. Otherwise, do not have any idea, particularly for the lines that were "maybe someday but not likely" at that time that are now running.

In general, the obsession was to have the tracks through stations dead straight for 750 feet (600 ft platform plus 75 ft each end) and, if underground, on a 0.35% grade, and, If above ground, on not more than that grade.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brookland%E2%80%93CUA_(WMATA_station)#History There's one station that has them

I ought to remember, but I don't. I probably have the track charts for the earlier lines boxed away somewhere from when I worked there. I think at least one, and maybe a couple of the stations between Union Station and Silver Spring where the line is between the railroad mains have curves, but they are of large radius. Otherwise, do not have any idea, particularly for the lines that were "maybe someday but not likely" at that time that are now running.
In general, the obsession was to have the tracks through stations dead straight for 750 feet (600 ft platform plus 75 ft each end) and, if underground, on a 0.35% grade, and, If above ground, on not more than that grade.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brookland%E2%80%93CUA_(WMATA_station)#History There's one station that has them
Brookland–CUA. I think this is the only one.

In terms of commuter rail the worst gap I know of is Syosset on the Long Island Railroad which is on a huge curve and has a high-level platform like every stop now on that railroad. According to Wikipedia gaps on the platform range between 10 and 15 inches, and there have been multiple cases of passengers falling into the gap. I haven't gotten off at that station (its one of just a handful in Nassau County I haven't photographed for my website) but did a see a railroad employee sitting in a booth with a sign on it telling passengers to ask if they need help getting over the gap. There are watch the gap signs everywhere at that station.

Last edited by a moderator:
LIRR's Stony Brook used to be a curved platform, but when they built the HL platforms they straightened the track out at the station. That is why the station building is somewhat removed from the platforms today.

I just noticed that Richmond, CA also has a mild curve. Emeryville is also a bit odd, which I just noticed. It seems rather straight from the ground, but it looks like the platform was actually custom-built to deal with the funky bends of the rail. The California Zephyr generally waits on the inner platform next to the station. I've gotten off on the platform in the evening, but when the CZ is parked there, northbound trains use the platform further out.

1510722348_c68da4e515_z.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BrooklandâCUA_(WMATA_station)#History There's one station that has them
BrooklandCUA. I think this is the only one.
Nope, Silver Spring is slightly curved too. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver_Spring_(WMATA_station)
~ DCTE

There's a few that I can think of, Winter Park, FL, West Palm Beach, Winter Haven, FL, Kissimmee (very slight edge at the north end of the station).

Winter Park and North Philadelphia both have curved platforms.

I've never been to or seen the Davis station. I was actually in Davis recently, but my wife would have yelled at me if I'd made a side trip just to see an empty train station.
She would have yelled at you? I think you're exaggerating because you are a fan and just in town by chance.

I've never been to or seen the Davis station. I was actually in Davis recently, but my wife would have yelled at me if I'd made a side trip just to see an empty train station.
She would have yelled at you? I think you're exaggerating because you are a fan and just in town by chance.
Not exaggerating. She would be asking why we would be looking at an empty train station. Our kid loves trains so she'd have no problem if we stopped and let our kid wave at a passing passenger or freight train. But just driving through doesn't appeal to her.

Not exaggerating. She would be asking why we would be looking at an empty train station. Our kid loves trains so she'd have no problem if we stopped and let our kid wave at a passing passenger or freight train. But just driving through doesn't appeal to her.
That's surprising. That's all I can say.

Some other curved platform stations that I know of include Albany & Klamath Falls in Oregon. Also Glendale, California is curved...This is a pic I took of #11 arriving there in 1991: http://www.flickr.com/photos/38751382@N06/5925199289/in/photostream

The missed train due to being late is an issue between person and train's conductor. Even if the conductor sees the person, I don't think he has any obligation to stop the train for him.

This video illustrates that point. Some of the comments identify it as Martinez Station so this would be a Capitol Corridor train:

Some other curved platform stations that I know of include Albany & Klamath Falls in Oregon. Also Glendale, California is curved...This is a pic I took of #11 arriving there in 1991: http://www.flickr.com/photos/38751382@N06/5925199289/in/photostream

The missed train due to being late is an issue between person and train's conductor. Even if the conductor sees the person, I don't think he has any obligation to stop the train for him.
This video illustrates that point. Some of the comments identify it as Martinez Station so this would be a Capitol Corridor train:

Does look like Martinez. The train could also be a San Joaquin train. The split between Capital Corridor and San Joaquin is just behond Martinez. Either way, the train is outbound from Oakland/Emeryville, as it is operating in push mode.

The Kemper Street station in Lynchburg, VA is on a slight curve. When the NER pulls out of the storage track and then backs into the station it is out of sight until it gets back closeto the station.

The SAL's station in Raleigh, used by Amtrak 1971-1986, has curved platforms. The Southern station used by Amtrak since 1986 has a gentle curve. The station in Selma, NC has a sharply curved platform along the connecting track from the ex-ACL to the ex-Southern. The Carolinian stops at this platform. The Palmetto uses the straight platform along the ex-ACL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back