Name That Station!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bingen - White Salmon it is! The distinction is that the station is one of the very few that has the name of two towns on its sign. The station itself is in Bingen, but the two towns share a common police force and other city services. So why not an Amtrak stop as well? The station (and several predecessors) have been duly named since about 1930 when done so by the SP&S.

Looks like DeLand, FL to me. My very first solo ride on an Amtrak train was on the Silver Star from Hamlet, NC to DeLand, FL to visit a friend there in November 1976. I had just turned 14.

Here's what it looked like then - Anybody notice anything odd about the train in this picture?

0107-M.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's what it looked like then - Anybody notice anything odd about the train in this picture?
It's got Auto Train Corporation locomotives - was then from the period when the Floridian combined with the Louisville Auto Train service?
Gold Star Sir! You are correct.

This is the combined 'Floridian' and 'Louisville Auto-Train'. The next stop is Sanford where the AT section will terminate and a red-nosed SDP40-F will take the 'Floridian' on to Miami.

Mr. TCRT, would you like to post the next station photo? I'm going to be out-of-town this weekend and my plans include being totally unplugged from the internet for a couple of nights. Give me a good book and a room(ette) with a view on the California Zephyr and I'll be fine!

Looks like DeLand, FL to me. My very first solo ride on an Amtrak train was on the Silver Star from Hamlet, NC to DeLand, FL to visit a friend there in November 1976. I had just turned 14.

0107-M.jpg
It's got Auto Train locomotives pulling Amtrak cars. I don't know how those Universals performed on pax trains.

Mr. TCRT, would you like to post the next station photo? I'm going to be out-of-town this weekend and my plans include being totally unplugged from the internet for a couple of nights. Give me a good book and a room(ette) with a view on the California Zephyr and I'll be fine!
Certainly! A photo will follow later this evening when I am not away from my photos.

You guys snuck my "home" southbound station in here while I wasn't on-line! I'll have to pay closer attention, I guess. I don't consider Ocala my home station any more, because I refuse to ride an Ambus.

As promised, here's an unidentified station. This one should not be too terribly difficult if one knows their post-1971 stations.

8431321007_8df5c555f7.jpg

I'm not thinking Omaha because of the other railroad visible on the other side of the parking lot.

I'm 95% sure I know this one (sat beside it for 90 minutes on a train trip last March as there was a problem just ahead of our train not allowing us to proceed) but again, after 3:30pm today I'm planning to be totally unplugged from the internet until Sunday evening....... might not even log in again until Monday...... and I don't want to muddy the waters by starting one and then dropping out of sight for 3-days.

Back