Crescent Consist--sleepers on front or rear?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MontanaJim

Service Attendant
All-

im taking the crescent from dc to atl this weekend. I have a coach seat reserved but maybe thinking of getting roommette if it isnt too expensive. But i only like to ride in sleepers when they are on the rear of the train. can anyone tell me where they are on the crescent? wikipedia says they are on the rear in the wintertime. Jim

Purely a guess, but I think Amtrak is waiting to see if the weather gets cold enough this year to warrant it. Last year they made the switch, but it never really got all that cold. The reason the Viewliners are on the back is so that if the LSL sleepers need to defrost, they can easily be sent south as one of the Silver's consists. See this thread for more details in Trogdor's posts.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for the replies everyone. i was hoping for sleepers on the rear--less engine noise. i may just go coach now.

When I rode the Crescent, the Sleepers were in the back. But now it has apparently moved. Why would it go all Coach anyway? Wouldn't Sleeper pax start raging?

When I rode in September, the sleepers were up front. I was in car 2011, which is the first sleeper behind the baggage car. The engine noise wasnt really an issue.

Saw the Crescent set backing on to the Steel Lead this morning, sleepers up front (160 & 95 leading for the curious).

When I rode the Crescent, the Sleepers were in the back. But now it has apparently moved. Why would it go all Coach anyway? Wouldn't Sleeper pax start raging?
It was a joke. When I went under it on I-75, I could only see the rear of the train which was coaches so I could not definitively comment on whether the sleepers were there or not. Presumably (and as confirmed by battalion51) they were up front, but since I could only see coaches, it was in the realm of possibility of my observation alone that there were no sleepers.

At least as of the Crescent that left New York yesterday (Jan 13), the sleepers and baggage car are now on the rear. Saw that trainset parked next to the station this morning. I can't speak as to whether or not the trainset was flipped before yesterday's train or not.

Well, today's Crescent arrival in Atlanta (left New York Monday, Jan 14) had the coaches in back! I wonder if they just didn't get a chance to flip that trainset yet.

I went to Atlanta for the NFC championship game on sunday. Took crescent leaving DC on sat, arriving atl on sunday morning. Then i returned on the northbound crescent that evening. Both ways, sleepers were on the rear.

It was a joke. When I went under it on I-75, I could only see the rear of the train which was coaches so I could not definitively comment on whether the sleepers were there or not. Presumably (and as confirmed by battalion51) they were up front, but since I could only see coaches, it was in the realm of possibility of my observation alone that there were no sleepers.
Dude, Bat51 is back for once! I haven't seen him post in forever! It's nice to know that an old member is still rolling. :)

Dude, Bat51 is back for once! I haven't seen him post in forever! It's nice to know that an old member is still rolling. :)
Then you haven't been paying attention as he's been around and posting for many years. Yes, he's had a few gaps where we didn't hear much from him, but normally I see a post or two from him at a minimum every couple of months. :)

The 60 and 70 hour work weeks caught up with me after awhile. Good thing I got out of where I was...

Oh and Sleepers were on the bottom on Tuesday and today for the Crescent. 181 and 837 leading today.

The 60 and 70 hour work weeks caught up with me after awhile. Good thing I got out of where I was...
Oh and Sleepers were on the bottom on Tuesday and today for the Crescent. 181 and 837 leading today.
Wow, what job were you working?

And yeah, I know that you used to be a regular around here, then kinda dropped out for a while. But I understand now.

Evidently the sleepers are on the back (with baggage on bottom). Here's a video of the northbound (#20) from yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back