Amtrak meal photos?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the info about the black bean burger in the diner, I will have to try it next time.
I frequently get a hypocrite burger - a black bean burger with bacon and cheese :) yummy

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the black bean burger too, though not a vegetarian myself. I generally find the vegetarian burgers that aren't pretending to be meat are better.

If you tend to have Acid reflux or are Sensitive to Spicy Foods, the Veggie Burger may not be your Cup of Tea! I've always enjoyed the Regular Angus Burger (with Cheese and Bacon!) myself! :wub:

I remember one time when they were offering crab cakes for breakfast. That was actually decent.
Crab cake special was a breakfast special during my trip on the Silver Meteor two weeks ago. I did not have the special, but I heard it was good.

I tried the "veggie" burger in the cafe car and it was like chewing on carpet. I hope the one in the diner is better than that.

Those ribs do look good. I hear the meatloaf is pretty good as well.
The ribs arent bad per se, but once youve had Real Ribs (Memphis Style) you won't want the ones in the Diner! The Texas Eagle quit serving them ,as well as the Bar-B-Q Sandwich they used to have on the Menu ,since there was no comparison to the Real Thing! ;) ! As to the Meat Loaf, Ive eaten it and it's edible, but not something Id want more than once a trip!

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to think "ice cream is ice cream" until I started getting Haagen-Dazs in the dining cars.

I never ate in the PPC while on the CS - when passing by the food bar, the food just looked like it had been under heat lamps all day. However, I've been reading some good reviews of PPC food lately (amamba's blog (thank you!) and others). Plus, it sounds like they don't force community seating there as often, and let you linger longer over meals. I'll definitely try the PPC the next time I'm on the CS.

I used to think "ice cream is ice cream" until I started getting Haagen-Dazs in the dining cars.

I never ate in the PPC while on the CS - when passing by the food bar, the food just looked like it had been under heat lamps all day. However, I've been reading some good reviews of PPC food lately (amamba's blog (thank you!) and others). Plus, it sounds like they don't force community seating there as often, and let you linger longer over meals. I'll definitely try the PPC the next time I'm on the CS.
Unless something has changed back, as of last Summer PPC meals were being plated in the Diner and brought through; one Attendant told me the reason was to prevent "grazers" who thought the steam table was a public trough from nipping at the food. And unless requested by the party, they prefer to seat 2 per table in the PPC since the tables are smaller than in the Diner. Even though the menu is very limited, you should take at least one meal in the PPC at least for the expereince.

I am not embarassed to say I am pretty motivated by food, and my family looked forward to meals in the dining car because it was a break from our room. That said, almost all the food looked better than it tasted!

I like the black bean burger too, though not a vegetarian myself. I generally find the vegetarian burgers that aren't pretending to be meat are better.
I agree. When you try to fake things, it actually gets worse.
I second this. If anyone of you ever happens to travel to India, try the McVeggie or McAloo Tikki burgers that McDonalds sells there. They do not pretend to be vegetarian versions of hamburger and are so tasty compared to the Veggie Burger in Burger King here or any of those frozen vegetarian fake-burger patties we get in the grocery stores.

Coming to Amtrak's veggie burger (AmVeggie?), I have had it a few times and I really like it better than any other variant of vegetarian burger I have eaten across the United States.

My contribution to the food photos- breakfast on the Sunset Limited. Pancakes and orange juice.

539494_10151223191146019_814786869_n.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back