Amtrak platform and gates at NYP

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Suzie

I was wondering if anyone knows which tracks Amtrak trains heading toward Buffalo,NY leave from at NYP...empire service, maple leaf or lake shore limited. Thanks!

Last edited:
Correction - 100% of the time! Tracks 5-8 are the only ones that connect to the West Side Connector - no other tracks do!
Further elaboration.... Tracks 5-8 are the only tracks with third rail and access to Sunnyside that connect to the Empire Connection. Tracks 1-4 also connect but they neither do they have third rail required by the P32ACDMs that haul trains over the Empire Connection, nor are they accessible from Sunnyside.

Correction - 100% of the time! Tracks 5-8 are the only ones that connect to the West Side Connector - no other tracks do!
Further elaboration.... Tracks 5-8 are the only tracks with third rail and access to Sunnyside that connect to the Empire Connection. Tracks 1-4 also connect but they neither do they have third rail required by the P32ACDMs that haul trains over the Empire Connection, nor are they accessible from Sunnyside.
And Tracks 1-4 are, normally, occupied by NJ Transit trains (either NEC or Midtown Direct to Dover). I used to commute on the Midtown Direct Dover train.

Works for me! :)

In studying that map, I am curious as to why 'platform 10' is extra wide, seemingly taking up the space that would allow another track? Track 18 is uniquely single, with platforms on both sides. While this feature would be handy for the LIRR, which uses that side of NYP, in stations like Jamaica, where it allows passengers to use standing trains as 'bridges' to make easy transfers between multiple trains, what use is it here?

It probably goes way back to the early days of NYP. I am posting this from another website, without attribution, for whatever it's worth (hope that's permissible):

"Tracks 20 & 21 were designed for rapid transit service -- short trains closely spaced for rapid transit service on Queens lines (NY-Jamaica and NY-Murray Hill).

Tracks 19 & 18 were for Long Island "suburban" service. They were the tracks used for most Long Island trains.

Track 18 had a "run-around" on its west end for electric engines. Steam trains swapped engines at Jamaica and were hauled into NYP with electric DD-1's which were run around on Track 18.

Tracks 18 & 17 were used for through service from Long Island into the Hudson River tunnels (the few that operated).

Track 17 was shared with the PRR, Erie and Central of NY trains."

Last edited by a moderator:
That's very interesting. Of course the track layout on the north side of the station specially west of the platforms has changed drastically when the small yard there was taken out of service and the connections to the West Side Yard was built.

Thanks for digging that up!

hello again! since moving to western mass, i haven't been riding much... and haven't been here for some while! but today, i'm back on the rails, for the moment at NYP between 2159 from NHV and 19 to LYH.

Quick question someone may have the answer to... but not that i could find here (this thread was the closest i could find):

Does 19 have a typical platform/stairway at NYP (and is it likely to be in its typical location today, or on the day before Thanksgiving are all bets off?)? It would be great to just happen to be standing near the right stairway a few minutes prior to the stairway announcement and ensuing stampede :)

hello again! since moving to western mass, i haven't been riding much... and haven't been here for some while! but today, i'm back on the rails, for the moment at NYP between 2159 from NHV and 19 to LYH.

Quick question someone may have the answer to... but not that i could find here (this thread was the closest i could find):

Does 19 have a typical platform/stairway at NYP (and is it likely to be in its typical location today, or on the day before Thanksgiving are all bets off?)? It would be great to just happen to be standing near the right stairway a few minutes prior to the stairway announcement and ensuing stampede :)
Get a Red Cap! NYP will be a Zoo! ;)

Easier said than done... waited for ten minutes in a queue at the redcap desk, with nobody staffing it. Platform got posted long before any redcap personnel showed up :-(

8w for those playing the home game :)

Too late to help, but NO, the Crescent would not have a regular gate/platform on any day, but especially today with extra service put on by all RR's which changes even the normal routine at the station.

The stampede really wasn't so bad! Somehow I got across the concourse to the 8w queue just as it started moving and ... i basically got to walk at a comfortable pace without stopping all the way from the waiting area to seat 25 in car 25030 without ever feeling rushed, blocked, pushed, or anything. Unprecedented! Good job, NYP!

Best NYP advice: board from the LOWER LEVEL. Don't get caught in the madness on the upper level.

Best NYP advice: board from the LOWER LEVEL. Don't get caught in the madness on the upper level.
Just be aware that over the last couple months, Amtrak police have been randomly stationing themselves at the stairways on the lower level, and telling passengers to go upstairs and board with everyone else...

Just be aware that over the last couple months, Amtrak police have been randomly stationing themselves at the stairways on the lower level, and telling passengers to go upstairs and board with everyone else...
...slowing everything down and make everyone and everything late because of over-zealous security that makes no sense.

Contrast this with the UK where I was all of last weekend, a country that has actually real life experience with handling bombing of trains. At each station there was no one stopping people from proceeding to the platform as posted, sometimes posted an hour before departure and sometimes as late as just 15 mins before departure.

At automatic barriers the customer agent is very helpful always to allow people like me with BritRail Pass and no magentically or Smartcard encoded tickets to get through without asking any question about why I want to get into the boarding area.

No Security or Ushering circus a-la Amtrak and TSA, thank God! The whole place would fall apart if they tried such stunts because the railroads are actually used quite intensively there. NEC looks like a walk in the park compared to some of the London terminals at rush hour. Yet I get the feeling that they have much more effective security than what we find here. Just a feeling mind you based on the professijnalism displayed by those on the ground.

If the American railroads get over their American exceptionalism high horse they could actually learn a few things from their Mother Country. :) Ooops did I offend someone. Sorry :unsure:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back