vegas shuttle

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
H

hippyman

I am tossing around the idea of taking the train to las vegas, via kingmans shuttle service, however, I have one concern. I have taken one greyhound trip in the past, and it did not turn out well. Is this shuttle a bus, or a van? I have done a search, and found this site http://www.commuterservices.net/ but I wanted to verify it, just so I know what I am in store for.

I am tossing around the idea of taking the train to las vegas, via kingmans shuttle service, however, I have one concern. I have taken one greyhound trip in the past, and it did not turn out well. Is this shuttle a bus, or a van? I have done a search, and found this site http://www.commuterservices.net/ but I wanted to verify it, just so I know what I am in store for.
Aloha

I have met the van from Kingman. Can't tell you much about the ride, but someone from here has and he can give you more info when he gets one again. At moment he is on the way home, via the Pere Marquette

I am currently waiting to return to Vegas via the SWC and the LA Bus. The transfer time is more convenient.

The shuttle from LAX is a Greyhound bus that goes to the downtown bus terminal in LV only. The shuttle from Kingman is a van or vans, with a separate trailer for luggage, and stops at the airport in LV only!

As far as I know, Commuter Services (your link) is the Thruway contractor for transportation between Kingman and LAS Airport, and they use a van as shown on their website.

Yes, it is a van. Or two vans if needed. When I took that trip, our train arrived very late and they stopped for a breakfast break for the drivers. On the return from LV to Kingman they stopped to pick up passengers in Laughlin.

For someone who has this experience, I'm wondering about Kingman to Las Vegas.

So I get to Kingman at 11:39PM, van leaves at 11:50 according to the schedule. Or do they wait for the train?.

I'd guess the other way, LV to Kingman, I'd have no option but just sit and wait? But from reading the above, the van drivers know the train status? Nice!

So three hour van ride from LV airprot to Kingman. I picked that over the Greyhound because it doesn't seem to make sense to go all the way to CA and then take a bus to LV, just because it goes downtown, instead of to McCarren.

Do they wait? Do they know the train status?

I'm still trying to decide for March Madness opening weekend, Elko or Las Vegas. Both arrive at 3AM when it's all over.

Last edited by a moderator:
For someone who has this experience, I'm wondering about Kingman to Las Vegas.

So I get to Kingman at 11:39PM, van leaves at 11:50 according to the schedule. Or do they wait for the train?.

I'd guess the other way, LV to Kingman, I'd have no option but just sit and wait? But from reading the above, the van drivers know the train status? Nice!

So three hour van ride from LV airprot to Kingman. I picked that over the Greyhound because it doesn't seem to make sense to go all the way to CA and then take a bus to LV, just because it goes downtown, instead of to McCarren.

Do they wait? Do they know the train status?

I'm still trying to decide for March Madness opening weekend, Elko or Las Vegas. Both arrive at 3AM when it's all over.
What about Reno? The Elko station is nothing more than a bus shelter (except being used by Amtrak instead of a city bus company.) The train gets into Reno about 8:30 AM.

Several years back I took the San Joaquins from EMY to Bakersfield and then the Thruway Bus from Bakersfield to Vegas round trip. The bus was a real bus and everyone had a full 'double' seat to themselves with room to spare. Our timing was such that we went through great scenery in daylight hours, coming into Vegas at dusk. The trip back to Bakersfield was in the morning. When I took it the bus stop was at the old train station, but I don't believe it stops there any longer. Both trips had a meal break along the way.

It was a nice bus ride. (And this is coming from someone who does not like taking busses any distance.)

Last edited by a moderator:
The dedicated Thruway services (that aren't a codeshare with an existing service like Greyhound) do wait for the train to arrive. However, they may not adjust their outbound time if the train is late, so you may have a long wait at the connecting station.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back