Does one HAVE to lower the beds at night for roomettes?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rms492

Service Attendant
Sometimes, if two are traveling, I think it might be better just to leave the chairs up and not make the beds.

I'm thinking of a quick LA to Flagstaff, and the two of us can do fine w/o lowering the beds.

Since I'm literally afraid of being yelled at by the attendant for NOT having them make the beds, I thought I'd ask here first if that's acceptable to tell that to the attendant that we'll sleep fine just in the chairs alone. lol :rolleyes:

(And no, I don't want to travel coach)

Last edited by a moderator:
It doesn't hurt to ask. When the attendant takes your dinner reservation, just mention you'd prefer if the seats are left up and explain you sleep much better sitting upright. I can't imagine they'd give you grief for that, especially since they won't have to change the bed when you depart. (I think - it could be required even if it isn't used.)

I have seen many people opt not to have the beds made - especially older passengers who might have trouble climbing into the upper bunk.

I have never heard a SCA argue with passengers about it.

But good point about mentioning it to the SCA if you are heading to dinner. Some of them seem to think that's their green light

to make the bed.

I have left the seats up when I detrain around 2:30am....and I asked for and received extra pillows so I was more comfortable sleeping sitting up....the SCA got a good tip....
biggrin.gif

Done that a couple of times on the SWC on shorter trips (LAX to WMJ for example). Just tell the attendant. In fact, on the return to LA, I had him restore the roomette to "daytime" for us

It's not the attendant's decision whether to raise or lower the bed. That's your decision alone to make for whatever reason you choose. You simply inform the attendant which mode you want your room to be in and they are obligated to change it or leave it however you prefer. That's all there is to it. The only exceptions to this are really late requests (I'd say between 10PM and 6AM) and the last half hour or so before arrival into the final stop on the train's route. Other than that it's entirely up to you what mode the room is in and nobody else.

On a recent solo trip in a roomette, I asked the SCA to leave the lower seats up and to open the upper berth. I have had this done for me many times before. This time, however, I received an oddly complex explanation about how because the upper berth also contained the lower berth bedding during the day that he'd then be required to place the lower berth bedding on the seats even if they weren't extended for nighttime use. I said that well, all the other times I think the SCA stored that material somewhere because it sure hadn't been left on the seats. My SCA insisted that oh, no, I must have been mistaken.

At this point, I concluded that the $20 advance tip I'd given this guy was insufficient to get him to accommodate my request, his "explanation" was pure B.S. and that he simply didn't want to be bothered to do what I wanted. So I told him to go ahead and make up the lower berth.

I would have normally tipped another $20 upon arrival at my destination. Surprisingly enough, I couldn't be bothered to give it to him.

We often ask our SCA not to put our beds down when we travel from Chicago back to Cleveland on the Cap Ltd. The train normally arrives in CLE at 1am and he/she is generally appreciative of not having to set up the beds, only to change them for possible new passengers boarding in CLE.

On several occasions this has been an AGR trip where we were to end our bedroom in TOL and that usually helps he/she in consideration of our request to stay in our room until CLE if possible. :)

I cannot imagine any SCA being upset that they did not have to make up a bed for the evening. Just make sure you let them know before you go to supper that is your desire.

On a recent solo trip in a roomette, I asked the SCA to leave the lower seats up and to open the upper berth. I have had this done for me many times before. This time, however, I received an oddly complex explanation about how because the upper berth also contained the lower berth bedding during the day that he'd then be required to place the lower berth bedding on the seats even if they weren't extended for nighttime use. I said that well, all the other times I think the SCA stored that material somewhere because it sure hadn't been left on the seats. My SCA insisted that oh, no, I must have been mistaken.
There are multiple alternatives for this, including but not limited too; spreading the lower level bedding out on the upper bunk providing for a more cushioned sleep, folding the bedding up and placing it on one of the seats, putting it on the upper bunk in his room, putting it into an empty room if one exists, or even putting it on the upper bunk of another room that is only occupied by one person and they've requested the lower bed to be made up and aren't in their room at that time.

So yes, it was BS and you wasted your $20.

There are multiple alternatives for this, including but not limited too; spreading the lower level bedding out on the upper bunk providing for a more cushioned sleep, folding the bedding up and placing it on one of the seats, putting it on the upper bunk in his room, putting it into an empty room if one exists, or even putting it on the upper bunk of another room that is only occupied by one person and they've requested the lower bed to be made up and aren't in their room at that time.

LOL I would ask for my $20 back! Oh well...guess it's better to tip at the end instead of at the beginning for some SCAs.

At this point, I concluded that the $20 advance tip I'd given this guy was insufficient to get him to accommodate my request, his "explanation" was pure B.S. and that he simply didn't want to be bothered to do what I wanted.
Yes, it was BS and you wasted your $20.
I would ask for my $20 back!
I was raised with an eye toward rewarding good service with a healthy tip in return. Even in the best case scenario a preemtive tip merely nets you improved service from an otherwise subpar employee while everyone else still has to suffer their usual work ethic. That's not a situation I want to positively reinforce with my own money. Worst case scenario you inadvertently reward bad service for everyone including yourself. There's not enough of an upside for me to unilaterally play my compensation card before the attendant has played his or her service card. Why not simply tip the full $40 at the end to reward an attendant who gave it their all for their standard paycheck than to risk pissing away $20 on an employee who was willing and able to play you for a fool?

Same thing happened to me recently. I was told I could not use the upper bunk and keep the lower seats intact. I shrugged it off but then later in the trip had other poor service, resulting in the first time ever I have not tipped an SCA. And I never tip in advance, seems like a bribe to me.

Same thing happened to me recently. I was told I could not use the upper bunk and keep the lower seats intact. I shrugged it off but then later in the trip had other poor service, resulting in the first time ever I have not tipped an SCA.
Only once have I ever had an attendant sort of balk at doing that, and I think he was on the new side and didn't really know what to do with that extra mattress. He sort of mumbled something about where to put the bedding; so I just said "spread it out and leave it up there." He seemed relived after that and proceeded to do exactly as I suggested.

But if I ever had an attendant tell me that they can't do that, I'd just say "thanks" and then go do it myself. And I'd adjust his/her tip accordingly.

Most of the SCAs are pretty cool as long as you let them know what you're up to. I often set up the lower bunk long before dinner because we find it more comfortable to use it like a couch instead of putting our feet up on each other's chair. We can sprawl out a lot easier with it set up that way.

Plus, I get sick if I ride backwards, so I feel bad that he always has to take that seat and misses out on the upcoming scenery. By setting it up like a couch, he can recline against the pillows and face the direction of travel, and then I just sit in front of him and lean back against his chest. We put my laptop on the steps (or on my knees if the step is next to us) and watch movies. I tell the SCA we're going to "camp" in the room, and they figure it out pretty quickly. :)

At this point, I concluded that the $20 advance tip I'd given this guy was insufficient to get him to accommodate my request, his "explanation" was pure B.S. and that he simply didn't want to be bothered to do what I wanted. So I told him to go ahead and make up the lower berth.

I would have normally tipped another $20 upon arrival at my destination. Surprisingly enough, I couldn't be bothered to give it to him.
That stinks-My recent trip I used the top, leaving the lower in day config, worked great, AND the double mattress up top was a definite improvement. Next time, just look attentive, nod your head, say thanks, pull the top bunk down, thrown the mattress up top, and put the chairs back the way you want them when you feel like going to bed. I guess I just don't follow direction well.....

Most of the SCAs are pretty cool as long as you let them know what you're up to. I often set up the lower bunk long before dinner because we find it more comfortable to use it like a couch instead of putting our feet up on each other's chair. We can sprawl out a lot easier with it set up that way.

Plus, I get sick if I ride backwards, so I feel bad that he always has to take that seat and misses out on the upcoming scenery. By setting it up like a couch, he can recline against the pillows and face the direction of travel, and then I just sit in front of him and lean back against his chest. We put my laptop on the steps (or on my knees if the step is next to us) and watch movies. I tell the SCA we're going to "camp" in the room, and they figure it out pretty quickly. :)
From what you say, we shouldn't have any problems asking the SCA to make up the beds in our Roomette on the Coast Starlight immediately after lunch as we will have just come off a 14 hour direct flight from Melbourne (Australia) to Los Angeles and sleep will be a priority :wacko: even though the afternoon cheese and wine tasting in the lounge car sounds very tempting.

Garry :lol:

From what you say, we shouldn't have any problems asking the SCA to make up the beds in our Roomette on the Coast Starlight immediately after lunch as we will have just come off a 14 hour direct flight from Melbourne (Australia) to Los Angeles and sleep will be a priority :wacko: even though the afternoon cheese and wine tasting in the lounge car sounds very tempting.

Garry :lol:
Nope. Just let the SCA know you're coming off a 14-hour flight and are severely jet-lagged. They could make up the beds while you're at the wine and cheese tasting. If that doesn't work out, it's pretty easy to make up the beds yourself. The seats slide together to form the lower bunk (look for the lever), and then there's a handle to pull the upper bunk down. Just arrange the bedding how you want it, and ta-da! Instant couch/bed. :)

Will you have a problem? No.

Would I do it? Definately not!

Why? I pay extra for Roomettes because I just don't sleep in a seat.

Tell the attendant you don't need any help with the bed. You can do whatever you like with the roomette you paid for it, its yours from the time you board until the time you depart. You can leave the seats up..put one bed down and not the other....or put both down and alternate sleeping on each one every hour from top to bottom. People should start using their cell phones to record to video some of these 'make up as you go' amtrak policies that many attendants like to initiate.

When traveling solo, I have never had an SCA challenge me about my choice to sleep on the upper bunk. In all cases, the SCAs have indicated they would make up the lower mattress and place it on top of the upper bunk mattress to provide additional padding. I actually think this may be easier for them as well.

When traveling alone, I leave the lower area intact and sleep in the upper bunk.

I was told by one SCA that he wanted to prepare the sleeping bunk, mainly because

he wants the safety netting in place for liability reasons.

I have also left the seats in place and slept in the top bunk in a bedroom.

When traveling alone, I leave the lower area intact and sleep in the upper bunk.

I was told by one SCA that he wanted to prepare the sleeping bunk, mainly because

he wants the safety netting in place for liability reasons.

I have also left the seats in place and slept in the top bunk in a bedroom.

I have to admit I've never slept in an upper roomette bunk, but don't you have to undo the safety netting to get in and out? I guess not or else what the SCA said makes no sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back