Checked Baggage in Albany

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all - new to the forum and taking my first ever Amtrak trip in a couple weeks, from Ohio to Albany NY. A basic question: How does the checked baggage work at Albany station? Do you pick it up trackside? Inside the terminal? Reason I am asking is that I am thinking of checking my bicycle. I'm a bit concerned that because I am traveling alone I will not be able to handle both a suitcase and bike box together when first getting off the train.

Since i am having my rental car come to the terminal, I'm hoping that I could get that taken care of, then go back and pick up my bike to load it in the car, rather than have to deal with it all at once.

Thanks!

Burt

Burt,

Luggage at Albany is picked up inside the station, not track side. So assuming you can leave the car in the parking lot, you'd be able to first claim the car, dump your suitcase, and then head back into the station to claim your bike.

To add to AlanB's reply - I've traveled to/from Albany with my bike a bunch of times in the past year. You'll pick up the bike one floor down from the main station level. To avoid having to cart your bike and baggage in the elevator, you can take your bike out of the double doors on the baggage level and circle back up through the parking lot to your car.

As a side note - the guys at ALB who work in the baggage area have always been EXTREMELY helpful with our bikes. I travel with my young son and his bike as well, and they usually box and tape up his while I'm doing mine when we depart ALB to head back home/

Thanks to both of you for the replies! Glad I don't have to be concerned with that.

Very much looking forward to the trip. Funny how I live 10 miles away from a station, but have never taken Amtrak yet. Of course given that the trains come through in the middle of the night might have something to do with it...
rolleyes.gif

Already pondering some longer trips (Florida, Arizona) in the future....

Thanks again!

Burt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back