1988 meet 1941

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Meat Puppet

Lead Service Attendant
DSCN3871.jpg
@ Steamtown PA

That is freakin' awesome... wow. The only thing not perfect about it is that neither locomotive can move on it's own power.

I LOVE old locomotives. I wish they could find a way to keep the old design on top of the modern engineering.

I remember watching an old steam locomotive in Belgrade pushing cars around the yard late one night as I waited for a bus out of town. That is a sight, and sound, that I will never forget.

I shot this one several years ago in Wilmington, and both of these were operating on the NEC. You can even see some wisps of steam on the right side of the engine.

181.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
DSCN3871.jpg
@ Steamtown PA
Great shot!

They both look like they're ready to leave town....

To me, the F40PH is prematurely retired. I don't know the details on that particular unit, but it seems like they could render good service for many years to come...

I shot this one several years ago in Wilmington, and both of these were operating on the NEC. You can even see some wisps of steam on the right side of the engine.

181.JPG
Another great shot, with an even greater 'then vs. now' comparo.....just how old is that No. 58?

That comparo brings to mind an earlier comparo at the 1933-34 Century of Progress Exhibition (Worlds Fair in Chicago), where the Zephyr 9900 after its nonstop Dawn to dusk record breaking run entered the stage of the Wings of a Century pageant alongside some 'teakettles'.....

edit: You know, come to think of it, if you squint your eyes, that Acela kind of resembles the 'shovel nose' of the Pioneer Zephyr...... :)

Nice pictures! Does the WWRR engine make appearances at WIL often? I would think not. I'd consider a day-trip trek to WIL to see it in the station if I knew it was going to be there - and then also take the WWRR excursion.

Nice pictures! Does the WWRR engine make appearances at WIL often? I would think not. I'd consider a day-trip trek to WIL to see it in the station if I knew it was going to be there - and then also take the WWRR excursion.
Not to my knowledge. That was shot several years ago during a Try Transit even in Wilmington and that engine, along with other special cars, some Amtrak equipment, & SEPTA equipment was brought in for the event.

Meet 2012:

019-XL.jpg
Los Angeles Union Station, National Train Day L.A. Both operating, and better yet, both pulled the same train - Grand Canyon Limited - for a week beginning two days after this shot.

A bit before 1941, but the Burlington Zephyrs have always been my favorite.

In the first picture, what's the car behind the Amtrak unit? Is that an SSL? Or something different?

Do keep in mind that a few diesels did begin in late 30s,thus it was not ALL steam in 1941. But diesels did not begin in full force until the end of WW2.

In the first picture, what's the car behind the Amtrak unit? Is that an SSL? Or something different?
It appears to be a former ATSF Budd 'Big Dome' lounge car but could also be a former BN similar car...

I tried to find it on Steamtown's site, but could not.....

Its the Iowa Pacific Sky View dome car. It was only there for that weekend its not part of Steamtown's collection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back