boarding time CUS

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jdcnosse

Lead Service Attendant
AU Supporting Member
I feel like this is kinda a stupid question, because I've been through CUS enough that I should know this, but when does boarding stop for the LD trains? I know they make announcements like tickets are sold up to 10 minutes to departure and boarding up to so many minutes before departure, but I can't remember. I'll be in a sleeper so getting there early from sightseeing isn't too much of a concern since I'll be using the Metropolitan Lounge and well I have an assigned room so its not like I need tobget a good seat lol

I feel like this is kinda a stupid question, because I've been through CUS enough that I should know this, but when does boarding stop for the LD trains? I know they make announcements like tickets are sold up to 10 minutes to departure and boarding up to so many minutes before departure, but I can't remember. I'll be in a sleeper so getting there early from sightseeing isn't too much of a concern since I'll be using the Metropolitan Lounge and well I have an assigned room so its not like I need tobget a good seat lol
At Chicago Union Station, they stop boarding at five minutes before departure (theoretically).

I boarded the SWC about 15 minutes prior to scheduled departure.

The original plan was to arrive early and board with all of the other folks in the ML, but I was delayed in town and went directly to the platform when I (finally) made it to CUS. I was very concerned about missing the train - adrenaline was up as I rushed through CUS with two good sized duffel bags. A red cap saved the day and helped me negotiate the crowd of folks on the platform.

We plan to utilize the lounge for bag storage while we're in between trains (arriving in CUS via 371 at 10:30am-ish). But as long as we're in the lounge with 15 mins we should be good correct? We're looking forward to not having to board with the heard.

I think they generally start boarding from the lounge about 20-30 minutes before departure. I think 15 minutes before departure will be fine. Some trains, like the LSL, board early because they do the wine/cheese party in the diner.

when you check into the metropolitan lounge it has been my experience that the lounge attendant gives you a card with the time you should be back. i would stick with that. a conductor has always taken our tickets in the lounge and with e-ticketing that may be a hassle free way to do it. also, if you should run into a line at the baggage check room in the lounge, perhaps with people from a train leaving soon after yours, you could be delayed in the line.

when you check into the metropolitan lounge it has been my experience that the lounge attendant gives you a card with the time you should be back. i would stick with that. a conductor has always taken our tickets in the lounge and with e-ticketing that may be a hassle free way to do it. also, if you should run into a line at the baggage check room in the lounge, perhaps with people from a train leaving soon after yours, you could be delayed in the line.
I will stick with that then.

I'm in a sleeper on the LSL CHI to BOS. How early do they board from the lounge in Chicago? Don't want to miss the wine & cheese!

I'm in a sleeper on the LSL CHI to BOS. How early do they board from the lounge in Chicago? Don't want to miss the wine & cheese!
If everything is ready with the train on time, typically they'll board you between 8:30 and 8:45. So I'd recommend getting to the Metropolitan Lounge around 8PM just to play it safe. And note, they only do the early boarding from the lounge.

If everything is ready with the train on time, typically they'll board you between 8:30 and 8:45. So I'd recommend getting to the Metropolitan Lounge around 8PM just to play it safe. And note, they only do the early boarding from the lounge.
Thank you! So if I arrive at the station by 7:30 PM will that give me time to check my luggage and get to the lounge by 8:00?

Thank you! So if I arrive at the station by 7:30 PM will that give me time to check my luggage and get to the lounge by 8:00?
That should be more than enough time.

That would work. You could even do 7:40.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back