Auto Train

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

user 683

Lead Service Attendant
Greetings all -

I'm considering Auto Train trip and was planning to use my trailer hitch mounted bike rack so I could bring my mountain bike along. According to the Amtrak web site, rear of vehicle mounted racks are permitted on the Auto Train and I assume this includes trailer hitch type racks. Of course, this extends the length of my vehicle (about 2-3 feet) to an extent that I need to reserve an "oversize" spot. I wouldn't expect any difficulties (such as the bike falling off the rack), but I would definitely opt to use additional straps make sure the bike is securely mounted to the rack.

Has anyone transported their bikes on the Auto Train? Any difficulties or words of advice? I also read that Amtrak would have me sign damage waiver..which makes me wonder if it would better to stow the bike in the vehicle for the train ride.

Thanks!

Has anyone transported their bikes on the Auto Train? Any difficulties or words of advice? I also read that Amtrak would have me sign damage waiver..which makes me wonder if it would better to stow the bike in the vehicle for the train ride.
I think that you've answered your own question. Do you like this bike? Do you feel lucky? The damage waiver would be enough for me to put the bike in the vehicle.

Last five years, one RT each year, Honda Pilot with "Soft-Ride" brand trailer-hitch mounted bike rack, four bikes. All you do is sign a waiver. Never had a problem.

Appreciate the advice. As it turns out, my vehicle is just over the standard vehicle size. So, I will require oversize space without the rack. The trip in question is next year and it appears that if book the trip now (reservation now complete) that standard and oversize spaces are the same cost.

Based upon rrdude's experiences, I'll probably opt to keep the bike on the rack.

Appreciate the advice. As it turns out, my vehicle is just over the standard vehicle size. So, I will require oversize space without the rack. The trip in question is next year and it appears that if book the trip now (reservation now complete) that standard and oversize spaces are the same cost.

Based upon rrdude's experiences, I'll probably opt to keep the bike on the rack.
DEF go for it. Although I think Amtrak's AT rules prohibit "temporary" bike racks, (The kind with suction cups and straps) I've even seen these on every trip I've taken.

You will be A-OK with a trailer-hitch mounted rack. Enjoy!

Thanks dude! I'm looking forward to the journey. I've taken Silver Star to FLA a couple of times and wondered about AT after each trip. Finally decided to follow through. All things considered - its probably cheaper to take AT than to drive. I may use AGR points to upgrade to roomette.

Was reading the other AT threads about arrival times and boarding. Will plan to arrive on the early side.

Thanks again!

Thanks dude! I'm looking forward to the journey. I've taken Silver Star to FLA a couple of times and wondered about AT after each trip. Finally decided to follow through. All things considered - its probably cheaper to take AT than to drive. I may use AGR points to upgrade to roomette.

Was reading the other AT threads about arrival times and boarding. Will plan to arrive on the early side.

Thanks again!
I hope you enjoy your trip to Florida. If you plan to cycle in Central Florida, please keep in mind that many Central Floridia drivers do not understand the concept of bicycles "sharing the road" with automobiles. Please be safe.

Thanks again!
I hope you enjoy your trip to Florida. If you plan to cycle in Central Florida, please keep in mind that many Central Floridia drivers do not understand the concept of bicycles "sharing the road" with automobiles. Please be safe.
Thanks Pennyk! Parts of Maryland are the same way.

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back