Five Amtrak trains affected by sinkhole near DeLan

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

engine999

OBS Chief
Five Amtrak trains affected by sinkhole near DeLand
The Associated Press

July 31, 2005

A sinkhole that opened under railroad tracks in central Florida caused delays for five Amtrak trains Sunday, affecting hundreds of people, officials said.

The sinkhole opened up just north of DeLand under CSX Transportation tracks used by Amtrak, officials said.
The rest of the article can be found here.

I awoke to the sound of chatter of the scanner radio around noon or so. The CSXT #Q455-30 passed the area, and went into emergency at the spot where the trouble exists. The "sinkhole" is actually a troublsome washout spot which CSX has been contending with for some time now. The "Silver Meteor," train #97 was about thirty minutes or so behind the freight train. In my opinion, it is a good thing the freight was in front of the passenger train, or the situation may have had a different outcome. As of now as I type, this CSX is still in the process of getting the affected portion of the #Q455 removed from the scene. Train #97's equipment as of 8pm was in the siding at Barberville to the north of here. I don't get much info while at home, so if bat51 or a few of you other SoFL folks get info regarding service changes, pass it on as it will be appreciated. The radio is real quiet now! Thanks.... OBS...

I would expect to see no amtrak service down the A-line for the next few days. Mostlikely there will be bussing between Jacksonville, Palatka, Deland, Winter Park, Orlando and Kissimme with a station to the south.

The Auto Train departed Sanford about 7 hours late, traveling south to Lakeland, where it then took the route of the former Palmetto. I'm sure the passengers on these trains are having *tons* of fun right now.

Well, CSX has traffic moving again in the area. Heard #P091 and #P053 pass by this morning as well as numerous freights. So looks as if things are slowly returning to normal. I am sure there is a "speed restriction" on the washout area, though (as if that would be a surprise). I just spoke to one of my fellow crew members who is working on train #92 from last night, and he was able to provide me with their situation. They held their train in TPA last night until a decision was made with what to do with their train as well as the other northbounds. Apparently train #98 is piggybacking on train #92 up the "Star" route all the way to NYP. Another beautiful day in paradise here on the RR! OBS... :lol:

Oh well, as long as all involved are safe and sound!

What a thing to have happen right on the cusp of a schedule change, since today's originations are using the new departure times!! Or at least they are supposed to. I would assume that yesterday's snafu probably will have fouled up at least one northbound departure, and maybe a southbound also, by stranding all that equipment on either side of Deland. And with 98 doubling up 92's route, does that mean they ran an extra long consist on the palmetto out of SAV yesterday and/or today to handle 98's pax through that route?

Back