getting aboard!

• Thread starter Guest_bwilburn542004
  • Start date
Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Guest_bwilburn542004

This may sound crazy and not sure if I have correct place to post this but we are planning our first trip on the train. You have answered my questions so well previously, so here we go again.

I have seen many pictures of trains and stations and wonder if all of them have a raised platform to board the train and if not, how the dickens do you get on, climb? Cause that would be a really silly sight for a crowd behind us chubby folks. :lol: :wacko:

It depends on the type of equipment and the location of the station. In the northeast (washington north) the single level quipment just opens it doors and you walk on/off at baically the same height onto on elevated platform. The only exception is depending on what track your train is in in WAS. Out side of the norheasr corridor most single level equipment has steps that can be deployed to allow easy access to the groud. Again, depending on the conditions at the station, a stepstool may be used to allow an easyer time for boarding between ground and bottom of the stairs. Amtrak has varying types of stations, around the country with partially raised, raised to the door level and the platform provides little elevation above the ground.

The bilevel fleet has its doors lower to the ground then the single level equipment. Usually the door is simply opened and you step up into the car.

Basically only the platforms along the Northeast Corridor are raised so that you can walk straight onto the train. Most other platforms are what we call low level platforms.

At those platforms, depending on the type of train car you are riding in, one of two things can happen. If you are riding in a Superliner car, the double deck cars, the door is already down close to that level. They will also put out a small yellow stool to help people board.

If you are traveling on a single level train, Amfleet or Viewliner cars, then the cars have built in steps. Plus again the attendant may also put out one of the little yellow stools to further help.

Thank you. We are taking the Cardinal to DC then Regional to NY and then Silver Star to Orlando.

I was a little concerned because I saw the pictures where the steps seemed very much inlaid and curving a little under the car. Maybe just bad pics.

Any other advice for first time. We have roomettes on the Star trip to Orlando.

Can't wait.

Guest_bwilburn542004 said:
Any other advice for first time.  We have roomettes on the Star trip to Orlando.  
Can't wait.
Aloha

Have fun, it is the best way travel(or fly low) :D :D

Actually I am overweight, 6 feet tall, with bad knees and have not had any serious issues boarding any train or negotiating the stairs on Bi-Level cars. Worst thing is not spilling anthing in the diner when I rub against the table cloth. :lol:

Wish I was riding with you, I enjoyed my trip from Orlando, north, on that same route.

Hope you write a trip report and tell us how much fun you had

Thank you for the heads up on the table cloth issue! :D From many posts I have read, sounds like the food is toooo good to waste a drop, and the contact with tummy and table definately would happen.

I'll be glad to report on our trip. Can't wait.

Back