Silver Service Changes

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

capltd29

Lead Service Attendant
FLORIDA SERVICE SCHEDULE CHANGES AUGUST 1

GENERAL CHANGES

- RUNNING TIMES LENGTHENED AS A RESULT OF A RIDING STUDY

OF THE ROUTE LAST WINTER.

- SANFORD, FLORIDA (SFD) STOP DISCONTINUED FROM ALL TRAINS

(1, 2, 91, 92, 97, 98). THE STATION SUFFERED SIGNIFICANT

HURRICANE DAMAGE LAST YEAR WHICH WOULD HAVE BEEN EXTREMELY

COSTLY TO REPAIR. SANFORD WAS UNSTAFFED - IN FACT,

PASSENGERS COULDN'T EVEN USE THE STATION; THEY HAD TO WAIT

OUTSIDE ON THE PLATFORM. THE ADJACENT AUTO TRAIN STATION

IN SANFORD (SFA) IS OF COURSE NOT AFFECTED BY THIS ACTION.

PASSENGERS ON AFFECTED TRAINS MAY BOARD AND DETRAIN AT

WINTER PARK, 16 MI SOUTH, AND DELAND, 16 MI NORTH; BOTH ARE

STAFFED STATIONS WITH FULL TICKETING, BAGGAGE, AND

PASSENGER ASSISTANCE SERVICES. (WINTER PARK IS NOT OPEN

FOR TRAIN 2.)

NORTHBOUND

TRAIN 98 - DEPARTS MIAMI AT 650A, 3 HR 45 MIN EARLIER.

ARRIVES WASHINGTON 607A, 3 HR 8 MIN EARLIER.

ARRIVES NEW YORK 1020A, 2 HR 58 MIN EARLIER.

---> CONNECTION RESTORED TO TRAIN 49 AT NEW YORK.

TRAIN 98 OF JULY 31 RENUMBERED 1098 TO AVOID A

TWO-TRAINS-WITH-THE-SAME-NUMBER-ON-THE-SAME-

CALENDAR-DAY PROBLEM ON AUGUST 1 AT KINGSTREE,

FLORENCE AND FAYETTEVILLE.

TRAIN 92 - DEPARTS MIAMI 850A, 3 HR 25 MIN EARLIER.

ARRIVES WASHINGTON 1148A, 2 HR 57 MIN EARLIER.

ARRIVES NEW YORK 340P, 3 HR 22 MIN EARLIER.

---> CONNECTION RESTORED TO TRAIN 29 AT WASHINGTON.

TRAIN 92 OF JULY 31 RENUMBERED 1092 TO AVOID A

TWO-TRAINS-WITH-THE-SAME-NUMBER-ON-THE-SAME-CALENDAR-

DAY PROBLEM ON AUGUST 1 AT SAVANNAH AND DENMARK.

SOUTHBOUND

TRAIN 91 - DEPARTS NEW YORK 1101A, 1 HR LATER.

DEPARTS WASHINGTON 305P, 1 HR LATER.

ARRIVES MIAMI 559P, 1 HR 29 MIN LATER.

---> CONNECTION RESTORED FROM TRAIN 30 AT WASHINGTON.

STOPS AT CAMDEN AND COLUMBIA MOVE FROM BEFORE

MIDNIGHT TO AFTER MIDNIGHT; THEREFORE, ON THE

CALENDAR DAY AUGUST 1, YOU WILL SEE NO TRAIN 91

FROM THESE STOPS; ENTER AUGUST 2 IN AVAILABILITY

TO SEE THE TRAIN THAT ORIGINATED ON AUGUST 1.

TRAIN 97 - DEPARTS NEW YORK 315P (NO CHANGE).

DEPARTS WASHINGTON 730P, 5 MIN LATER.

ARRIVES MIAMI 655P, 40 MIN LATER.

---> CONNECTION FROM WESTERN NEW YORK REMAINS

TRAIN 284, MONDAY-FRIDAY ONLY.

There's more than that happening. Word on the street is that some of the Star's sleepers are going to the Meteor.

battalion51 said:
There's more than that happening. Word on the street is that some of the Star's sleepers are going to the Meteor.
It will all depend on how the OBS jobs are structured, bat. Right now we start duty on #98 out of MIA, and after layover in NYC we turn as #91 out of NYP. And the same with #92; it turns as train #97 out of NYP as far as the job structure is concerned. I personally hope they will return to the old job structure where we turned to the same train on the return. When that was the case, those who worked the "Star" had the overnight layover in NYC, and the "Meteor" crews went into NYC and turned around the same day to return home. That cut a whole day off the trip time away from home on the "Meteor" jobs. I liked that a whole lot , and would prefer to return to that set up! And that would also make it possible to put the three sleepers on the "Meteor" in both directions without breaking up the crews in route. OBS...

battalion51 said:
It seems like right now 98-91 have three, 92-97 have two.
You are exactly right! This is the way the OBS jobs have been structured to the layover time situation in NYC. OBS...

It seems like with the schedules layed out as they are they're going to try to spin 98 same day, but that's going to be a challenge with how late trains have been running lately. It seems like from what I'm hearing they will go back to Meteor and Star crews.

I don't really see how they are gonna be able to do them that way again, though I would really like that. Turning the "Meteor" around the same day even if the train is on time arriving into NYP doesn't allow the crew any time at all to go to the hotel for rest, shower, etc before reporting to the lobby by 12:15:00 for transport to Sunny Side for set up of #97 to depart at 15:15:00. It could be done, but the layover is less than six hours, therefore making them pay us continuous time after arrival into NYP. They ain't gonna do that! I have a feeling the OBS job structure will remain the same as it is now, just with different report times at the home terminal and slight different report times in NYC. Up on #98, back on #91 or up on #92, back on #97. Hey, I don't really care, as long as I got a job! OBS...

Amtrak OBS Employee said:
I don't really see how they are gonna be able to do them that way again, though I would really like that. Turning the "Meteor" around the same day even if the train is on time arriving into NYP doesn't allow the crew any time at all to go to the hotel for rest, shower, etc before reporting to the lobby by 12:15:00 for transport to Sunny Side for set up of #97 to depart at 15:15:00. It could be done, but the layover is less than six hours, therefore making them pay us continuous time after arrival into NYP. They ain't gonna do that! I have a feeling the OBS job structure will remain the same as it is now, just with different report times at the home terminal and slight different report times in NYC. Up on #98, back on #91 or up on #92, back on #97. Hey, I don't really care, as long as I got a job! OBS...
Honestly I think the crews will turn from 98 to 97, then 92 to 91 due to the number and type of cars each train will be running.

battalion51 said:
Honestly I think the crews will turn from 98 to 97, then 92 to 91 due to the number and type of cars each train will be running.
Well I hope your right, but I personally don't believe the same day turnaround is gonna fly. The layover is too short, and unless they pay us continuous time, I see them going as they are now, but at the revised times. The NB "Meteor" and the SB "Star" are the first trains to depart their respective points, and combined with crewing the trains up on one and back on the other, this evens the away from home layover and the pay structure for us in NYC. Also, in Sunny Side the train turn around times are relatively even. Right now the equipment usually turns as #98 equipment to #91 equipment, #92 equipment to #19 equipment, #20 equipment to #97 equipment and so on! This allows (or is supposed to) for proper inspection time of each set of equipment as well as cleaning, etc. (except when they wait till last minute and pull a diner or something out like they have lately on my last couple of trips).

All in all, we'll see in a few days when I see the bids posted in MIA. OBS...

As far as the rumor mill is concerned, I have heard they are gonna take that third sleeper off the FL trains all together till winter! That would be a bad move if you ask me!

National Limited said:
Will 97 ever return to an evening departure (7:01 p.m.) from NYP as it used to?
I would say it would someday. From what I understand, FL DOT & CSXt don't want the trains running down there after a certain hour in order accomodate a curfew to build the new high rise bridge in FTL area (can't remember the name of that river, canal, etc. Leaving that late out of NYP gets the train down there well after 18:00 with arrival into MIA around 21:46- 22:00. The curfew is probably 19:00 or 20:00. Maybe someone can post the actual deal here. Bat51, any of you other S FL folks?

I would really like that a lot if they would return to departing NYP at the later hour. Then the "Meteor" would definitely go back to the seven job cycle structure where we would turn around the same day and come back home! It would also allow better connections for those passengers who are coming from upstate NY, etc. OBS...

If a curfew were to be put in place it would probably not occur until 22:00 after the last Tri-Rail gets by. But, in order to accomodate for perpetually late trains that Amtrak is famous for the current schedule has been put into effect.

I personally LOVE this new schedule. It offers great day trips for folks almost anywhere in Florida. From the South you can take 98 to ORL/WPK before swinging back on 97. From the North you can take 91 to TPA with about an hour and a half layover before 92 heads out. The other good news is there will now be firemen on all jobs (except the JAX-SFA job) out of JAX. Downside, they will be on a three day rotation (work a trip day off, work a trip day off) on the south side.

Amtrak OBS Employee said:
National Limited said:
Will 97 ever return to an evening departure (7:01 p.m.) from NYP as it used to?
I would say it would someday. From what I understand, FL DOT & CSXt don't want the trains running down there after a certain hour in order accomodate a curfew to build the new high rise bridge in FTL area (can't remember the name of that river, canal, etc. Leaving that late out of NYP gets the train down there well after 18:00 with arrival into MIA around 21:46- 22:00. The curfew is probably 19:00 or 20:00. Maybe someone can post the actual deal here. Bat51, any of you other S FL folks?

I would really like that a lot if they would return to departing NYP at the later hour. Then the "Meteor" would definitely go back to the seven job cycle structure where we would turn around the same day and come back home! It would also allow better connections for those passengers who are coming from upstate NY, etc. OBS...
The bridge is actually going to be built next to the existing bridge. The span over the New River will allow amtrak and tri-rail trains to cross the river when maritime traffic is blocking the right of way. The existing bridge will be left in place to accomadate freight traffic which can not use a structuree as steep as the new bridge.

Its possible they may want a curfew, but to me it dosnt seem necessary. I would assume csx freight movements would stay the same at night anyways.

Actually CSX has been running some of its rock and General Merchandise trains during the daylight hours to allow for night work. This is one of the big reasons there have been a bunch of delays to Tri-Rail, because they bring in the freight, but it can't move since they route Commuter trains around it, they outlaw and it starts to look like a parking lot out there.

By the way, the new span will only be single track due to the space they have to put it in. The RTA will be dispatching the area around the New River, while CSX will retain all the other dispatching due to costs. The RTA will be using the drawbridge when necessary even for passenger trains to create rolling meets. They will try to route most traffic onto the span to conserve closings of the bridge, but it will be necessary for all frieght movements.

(The other good news is there will now be firemen on all jobs (except the JAX-SFA job) out of JAX. Downside, they will be on a three day rotation (work a trip day off, work a trip day off) on the south side.)

Where in the heck do some people get their info?

Excuse me? I have a number of very reliable sources within the company that I get my information from. My sources are very rarely wrong, and very rarely steer me wrong. I'm sure if you had the resources to get your hands on the bid sheets you'd eat your words.

battalion51 said:
Well, here in updating an older thread, I got my job award. And as I expected I figured the OBS jobs would be structured the same as before just at different report and release times. I was hoping there was a slight mistake in the bid, but nah, it was correct. My job heads North on #P098, and after layover in NYC returns on #P091 and not as #98/#97. Those OBS who work #P092 North, come home on #P097. I am not sure of the T&E folks, but I believe their jobs stayed fairly similar to what they were before the schedule change. OBS...

The biggest change was T&E went to a three day cycle coming south, 2 on 1 off, eliminating the relief job coming south. Same structure going north.

Back