If you had to eliminate one Amtrak route...

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Boston-Washington. And yes, I'm totally serious.

It might be the slap upside the head that America needs, to realize how important passenger rail really is.

I like the Hoosier State idea, I wasn't thinking about that. The Heartland Flyer is actually pretty well patronized, state-supported, and has lots of political support. I had no clue that the NHV-SPG shuttles had such a poor recovery. It makes sense for those trains when I think about it because they only run with like 2 cars. It would only free up like 6-8 Amfleets though so I doubt that that would be a great reason for deleting them. Ethan Allen I would agree with, but I like your suggestion to lean toward the Hoosier State or the shuttles, because those two are not state-supported and the others are. I assume that the shuttles would not include some of the through trains that continue past New Haven, right? So the weekend Lynchburger southbound would still run. And I was not being specific to LD's, any train service in general.

Hoosier State. It probably will actually be eliminated because it's subject to section 209, and unlike every other "corridor" route, Indiana won't spend any money on it. There *could* and *should* be a good train route running between Indianapolis and Chicago, but the Hoosier State isn't it, being slower than a bus.
Yes, the Hoosier State is likely to be gone in 2 years (or whenever the PRIIA requirement fully kicks in). In the longer run, I expect Indiana and Indianapolis will start getting serious about passenger rail corridor service Chicago, but that will take time. Success on the CHI-STL and CHI-DET corridors can change the politics in Indiana for passenger rail.

But I'm not sure that even a daily Cardinal has great potential. The Buckingham Branch track it runs on keeps being downgraded to the point where it has no chance of keeping time. Indiana and Ohio won't spend a penny for it. It will never, ever be fast due to its curvy gorge-following route. And the state which it really benefits, West Virginia, has collapsing population. Yes, the New River Gorge is scenic; so run a tourist train. Yes, there should be rail service to Indianapolis and Cincinnati. But the Cardinal isn't really providing that.
If I have added up the budget numbers correctly, the state of Virginia has and will be providing around $25.5 million from the State Rail Preservation fund through FY2016 for tie replacement, ballast replacement, track repair for the Buckingham Branch lines that the Cardinal uses. The VA funding is up to 70% of the project cost, BB and others have to contribute at least 30%. So the total amount being spent on the tracks is around $35 million or more. Track improvements in Ohio and Indiana are on the other hand up to CSX (and Amtrak if it has any money leftover).

Also, WV has collapsing population? 2000 Census = 1.808 million, 2010 Census = 1.853 million, July 1, 2011 estimate = 1.855 million. While not growing in population much, I would not call those numbers collapsing population. Those are statewide numbers, so yes, would not be surprised if the central WV population was down while the WV panhandle with some seriously long distance commuters to the DC job market was up.

The Springfield Shuttles probably *will* be eliminated... from Amtrak... when Connecticut finishes setting up their commuter service along the Springfield line (currently funded, but lots of track work to do).
The Springfield shuttles may be extended northward to Northampton and Greenfield MA on the CT River Line while CDOT runs a NHV-SPG commuter service. What extending the shuttle service to Greenfield would do for their cost recovery, not a clue. But MA may be required to subsidize the extension, which could make computing CR for the shuttles interesting.

Sorry in advance for saying this, but the Auto Train must be cut unless it is opened to non-auto passengers. Also the Hoosier State. The SL and Cardinal gets to stay.

Last edited by a moderator:
Either the SL or the Cardinal if our requirement is LDs. However, if I can pick a corridor to axe...Hoosier State, if that counts; if that's insufficient, then I'd probably go for either the NHV-SPG Shuttle (second-worst CR in the system), the Ethan Allen, or the Heartland Flyer.
Eliminating the Ethan Allen or the Heartland Flyer would tick off Vermont or Oklahoma because those are state supported trains.

Vermont, especially, because VT put $6 million in the state FY13 budget to shake "loose" the Senator Jeffords earmark of $24? million for track replacements and repairs to the western corridor. The earmark has been on the books for years with the $6 million providing a ~20% state match to get at the funds. The available funds may not be enough to make all the track fixes necessary to extend the Ethan Allen to Middlebury and Burlington; how much could be accomplished with the available funds was waiting on a detailed track assessment in May or June I recall the article correctly.

Sorry in advance for saying this, but the Auto Train must be cut unless it is opened to non-auto passengers. Also the Hoosier State. The SL and Cardinal gets to stay.
Re the Auto Train, what for? There's already two trains a day between Virginia and Florida, and a third makes it as far as Georgia. The Auto Train also comes closer than any other train (aside from the Acela) to covering its variable costs. Why mess with it?

EDIT: Fixed.

Re the Auto Train, what for? There's already two trains a day between Virginia and Florida, and a third makes it as far as South Carolina. The Auto Train also comes closer than any other train (aside from the Acela) to covering its variable costs. Why mess with it?
Yeah, cutting the auto train or insisting that it become a general train is borderline insanity. BTW, the third train makes it all the way to Georgia and from time to time has even made it all the way to Florida.

Actually if people could get of their almost religious determination that any overnight train must have sleepers, it is conceivable that certain other longer mid-range routes could be served with better farebox recovery than is feasible in a full service train. Even in the heyday of railways it was more often the case that the non-full service trains produced better farebox recovery than the full service ones according Richard Saunders Jr. inMaine Lines - Rebirth of the North American Railroads, 1970-2002

Sorry in advance for saying this, but the Auto Train must be cut unless it is opened to non-auto passengers.
So, you plan to drive or take a cab to the AutoTrain Lorton station? I guess one could hitch-hike or get a ride from someone. The AT Lorton station is somewhat isolated and intended to only be accessed by car. Which makes sense since it is only used for the AT. If you drive to the station, why not take your car with you to Florida?

The AT is doing just fine as it is.

Hiawatha Service.

It is easily back filled by Metra so the service would not be totally lost and would also strengthen the case for additional CHI-MSP runs. Might also strong arm Wisconsin to the pro-rail side.

I am not advokating this position seriously, just for the purposes of this hypothetical.

Without question the Cardinal. Continually late and from what I have been told uses older trains/cars and such and doesn't provide the quality of say the LSL or CL that can get you to the east coast quicker and better.
This decision may have already been made. But they will probably call it a 'temporary' suspension. haha.

Sorry in advance for saying this, but the Auto Train must be cut unless it is opened to non-auto passengers.
So, you plan to drive or take a cab to the AutoTrain Lorton station? I guess one could hitch-hike or get a ride from someone. The AT Lorton station is somewhat isolated and intended to only be accessed by car. Which makes sense since it is only used for the AT. If you drive to the station, why not take your car with you to Florida?

The AT is doing just fine as it is.
I did not say "why not", but "why only".

The New Haven/Springfield Shuttles, which should be operated by Amtrak under contract to CDOT as part of there Commuter Rail Service using the present diesel Shore Line East equipment once there are enough M8s to run Shore Line East. Amtrak should continue to run the Vermonter and perhaps the couple of Regionals that provide a one seat Springfield to Washington DC ride. The corridor should become a decent Atlantic City Line with trains scheduled to connect to both Amtrak and Metro-North departures for connections and thru-ticketing provided by both railroads.

Re the Auto Train, what for? There's already two trains a day between Virginia and Florida, and a third makes it as far as Georgia. The Auto Train also comes closer than any other train (aside from the Acela) to covering its variable costs. Why mess with it?
AMEN! :D

To be honest, I'm not in favor of cutting any route. In fact, (and I can't believe I'm saying this but... :eek: ) I think I'm with those (from the other thread) that do not favor any "privatization" for Amtrak. Like the federal highway system (and other things no one would want to pay for, privately), I think national LD pas. rail travel is worth holding onto and one of a very "chosen few" things worth Govt. support (read: tax $$). I freely admit I have no logical basis on which to justify this... purely an emotional/historical love of trains (and a growing dislike of air travel). Not to say it can't be managed better (as can many quasi govt. things), but...

If something absolutely has to be cut, well... I'm not sure what. At first, I'd thought of the "least utilized" route (SL), but that would not be fair to those who absolutely need it and not have other alternatives. Maybe a route that is truly superfluous... one for which another route could easily pick up the slack (probably one of the Silvers). Perhaps also one that has less "scenic view" potential than other routes (assuming that "scenic views" are an attraction factor to train travel). I think they are. It's hard to enjoy scenery from 35,000ft, or when you're driving your own car.

Anyway...

Guys, you remember the "Cancel Auto Train" thread, right? Just because I didn't want to get you mad does not mean that I changed my opinions about the AT.

Guys, you remember the "Cancel Auto Train" thread, right? Just because I didn't want to get you mad does not mean that I changed my opinions about the AT.
That's fine and you're entirely entitled to your opinion, it's just that your opinion is wrong. No jk but still we don't really get why. The CR on the Auto Train is the best of any train in the entire national network minus the Acela. Taking away this train would add some demand to the Silvers, but not all of that same traffic would be diverted if there's no way to take a car. The Silvers would be pushed into a capacity crunch because there is already a shortage of basically every type of car. I don't understand why you advocate cancelling the AT when you are supportive of other AT-like systems out west, such as on the SWC. The train is full to the max with passengers right now, routinely being sold out, and reassigning these cars would not make any other trains do better, because the cars are at capacity basically all year. The market is clearly there, and the demand is clearly not AS strong anywhere else for the new auto racks that Amtrak bought a few years ago. The AT is a great and successful train. If you can come up with an advantage counterplan (sorry debate jargon) plan that uses the same equipment but more efficiently, with higher passenger loads and other stuff, but without a higher cost and other crap like that, then please present it. Sorry, simply put: name one other market that would be sold out year-round and have a higher CR ratio while not utilizing any extra equipment. So please provide this, and then I'll have more respect for your idea.

A no-brainer: the Coast Starlight. No use to us here on the East Coast. Plus we'd eliminate all the moaning and groaning when that Holy Grail of Amtrak travel the PACIFIC PARLOUR CAR doesn't run.

That's fine and you're entirely entitled to your opinion, it's just that your opinion is wrong. No jk but still we don't really get why. The CR on the Auto Train is the best of any train in the entire national network minus the Acela. Taking away this train would add some demand to the Silvers, but not all of that same traffic would be diverted if there's no way to take a car. The Silvers would be pushed into a capacity crunch because there is already a shortage of basically every type of car. I don't understand why you advocate cancelling the AT when you are supportive of other AT-like systems out west, such as on the SWC. The train is full to the max with passengers right now, routinely being sold out, and reassigning these cars would not make any other trains do better, because the cars are at capacity basically all year. The market is clearly there, and the demand is clearly not AS strong anywhere else for the new auto racks that Amtrak bought a few years ago. The AT is a great and successful train. If you can come up with an advantage counterplan (sorry debate jargon) plan that uses the same equipment but more efficiently, with higher passenger loads and other stuff, but without a higher cost and other crap like that, then please present it. Sorry, simply put: name one other market that would be sold out year-round and have a higher CR ratio while not utilizing any extra equipment. So please provide this, and then I'll have more respect for your idea.
That, and you do not want to pi$$ off the "snowbirds!" :ph34r:

Or have them let loose on I-95!!!

Just let the AT take some regular pax. Even if not much regulars take it, you can still offer it. I don't see what is wrong with that idea. Locking down the train to regular pax, plus the fact that it does not offer a connection to any other part of the rail system, makes this my candidate to cancel. Besides, they could probably earn a lot of money if they upgrade some tracks (no money right now) and switch the equipment to new, fast LD trains.

Cardinal.
Perhaps, as long as you extended the HOOSIER STATE® through to Cincinnati.
Agree. And you had it leave Chicago at like 2:30P so that it would reach CIN right before midnight and maybe have a few connections left. Extending it to CIN though would make for a necessity of 2 sets of equipment. If you wanted to use three sets of equipment though, you could have 1 CHI-IND RT each day and a CHI-CIN RT each day. The train from CIN-CHI would really not make any connections safely, so there is no reason to try that hard. Have 1 train leave Indianapolis at 7:30am, getting to Chicago at 11:00a. Have the other leave CIN at 10:00a, Indianapolis at 1:00p, and Chicago at 4:30p. Have the train back to CIN leave CHI at 12:00p, IND by 5:30p, and CIN by 8:30p. The have the train that came in from Indy turn around and leave Chicago at 4:00p, getting to Indy by 9:30p, which is much more reasonable than midnight. I think that this would be nice. Would be a suitable alternative to the loss of the Cardinal, but would definitely require Indiana state funding. It would give two RTs from Indy to Chi and one from to CIN. I think it could work. But of course this is assuming that the Cardinal disappears.

Just let the AT take some regular pax. Even if not much regulars take it, you can still offer it. I don't see what is wrong with that idea. Locking down the train to regular pax, plus the fact that it does not offer a connection to any other part of the rail system, makes this my candidate to cancel. Besides, they could probably earn a lot of money if they upgrade some tracks (no money right now) and switch the equipment to new, fast LD trains.
But the AT is already sold out! All of the coach seats are full, and the train gets more revenue from people who pay for seats + cars than just seats, and then there is empty car space in the racks. It makes no sense to allow regular pax on at all.

Just let the AT take some regular pax. Even if not much regulars take it, you can still offer it.
And would those regular pax travel standing from Washington to Florida?

Mr Swadian Hardcore, you are not understanding the basic point that everyone is trying to explain you, let me try putting it in as simple terms as possible with some examples-

You have a train that can carry 100 passengers and 50 cars. Let's for simplicity lets assume there is only one class and each passenger ticket costs $100. Every car costs $200. Now you are a businessman running this train and you are given two options-

A) Board 100 passengers and 50 cars and make (100x100) + (50x200) = $20,000 per trip

B) Board 50 passengers with their 25 cars, and 50 passengers without cars, so total revenue = (50x100) + (25x200) + (50x100) = $15,000 per trip

Which option would you choose? Please answer A or B.

Folks, please let Swadian Hardcore answer this.

I'd choose option 1. Why? Strawberry!

Of all the options, GML came up with the least harmful. Cancel one of the Silvers, use the equipment to double the size of the remaining one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back