copy-cat streamliner equipment

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi

well the usual european High speed trains loo like the Acela train set.

as far as Dmu and emu they various designs

Guy

This is a very odd picture for Europe - even the couplers on the engine are American, not European!

The all-sleeper train on the picture seem to rest in Lvov, Ukraine (as far as I can judge the railway station). The engines are Russian 2M62 passenger diesels originally made for East Germany and Hungary. Today M62 is barely used in Europe (I believe, only as switcher) - but in the former USSR it is still popular. It's diesel has the same design as of a Russian submarine.

In the fact, the carriages ARE the most authentic streamliner copies. I wish Amtrak has more of this simple design cars. A factory in Tver', Russia (and an other in Amensdorf, former GDR) are the largest streamliner-factories in the world today, followed by Chinese.

I think, the biggest challange for the Amtrak is the lack of equipment, not the high-speed. Countries like India, China, Russia do not have extensive high-speed network, but the simple designs like the ones on the picture do work well enough, esp. if in large numbers.

As I know, the factory in Tver' has VERY cheap prices. Perhaps Amtrak could look there and buy these streamliners. This equipment was made to withstand most harsh weather conditions.

I would choose such Russian-made 4-bed sleeper over a plane or Greyhound (yuck!)

George

Viewliner,

- I think Bombardier (who makes almost all equipment here) is Canadian

- The "Cascades" Talgo train (Seattle <--> Vancouver) is made in Spain

The factory in Amensdof (former East Germany) has a long history of manufacturing streamliner equipment for Soviet, Chinese and N. Korean railways. They do it today. However, as I recently read, the factory in Tver' makes better equipment and it is significantly cheaper, too.

I did ride these "streamliners" all my life. They are not exceptionally great, but fairly comfortable. The "standard" accomodation of 36 passenger/car in 9 4-bed compartments is certainly not very luxurious, but it does beat the coach and the "economy" bedrooms.

Usually there are 12-14 such cars in a train, among with few "open" cars (which let sleep 54 passengers) and one or two "de-lux" sleepers which can take 18 people.

Thus, an average train will have about 500 - 550 passengers - and ALL of them will have some kind of bed during the entire travel. About 30-40 of them could have even a shower (depending on cars used. The older Russian and all Chinese "de-lux" are the best).

Therefore the once great streamliners are still a backbone for the passenger travel. Too bad, not in the States. :angry:

Amtrak can buy from international manufacturers and they kind of have to since there are none here in the states. However, all equipment has to be made with stict US standards.

Bombardier is Canadien based near Montreal. Final assembly of many of their products (at least those shipped to the LIRR) is done at Plattsburg, NY. I don't necessarily think it matters if the equipment is built in the US but it would have to meet FRA crashworthiness standards, but Amtrak could very well be under a buy American type requirement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back