Knife kit

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Pascall

Ok I'm a Culinary Arts student going to jacksonville fl is it ok if bring my knife kit along with my luggage

Sure! There is no "Security" theater on Amtrak like at airports!
Yep, I just wouldn't make a big deal about it. If you pointed out you had a boxful of knives, you might create a problem. Just keep your mouth shut and and bring it. As traveler pointed out, there are no (useless) security invasions.
Well... not exactly. OK... "useless invasions" maybe. :) But there is some security, as I discovered this past weekend on the AT.

For the first time, I actually saw the Amtrak Police deploying the K-9 unit at Lorton Station. They had the dog do a quick "once around"

the car exterior (i.e. around the running boards, etc.), sniffing for whatever it is they're trained to sniff. Thankfully, it did not alert on my

car, or any car that I saw. I would guess that if the dog did alert on a car, the car (and its owner) would get the ol' "Shake & Bake" inspection.

On occasion, the dog would do a quick pass inside the terminal as well.

Of course, Amtrak disclaims that "all passengers/baggage are subject to search," just like airlines. Although, in Amtrak's case, it would seem

to fall upon the Amtrak Police and not the TSA (thankfully). :eek:hboy:

For the first time, I actually saw the Amtrak Police deploying the K-9 unit at Lorton Station. They had the dog do a quick "once around" the car exterior (i.e. around the running boards, etc.), sniffing for whatever it is they're trained to sniff. Thankfully, it did not alert on my car, or any car that I saw. I would guess that if the dog did alert on a car, the car (and its owner) would get the ol' "Shake & Bake" inspection.

Of course, Amtrak disclaims that "all passengers/baggage are subject to search," just like airlines. Although, in Amtrak's case, it would seem to fall upon the Amtrak Police and not the TSA (thankfully). :eek:hboy:
Probably looking for drugs or explosives or both.

For what it's worth, both times I was at the ROC station last summer, I arrived just as a couple of Homeland Security/Customs agents were departing. I presume they were engaged in searches, as ROC is within the "Even if you're 100 miles from Canada, we'll let the Border Patrol have jurisdiction" concept that the courts have upheld over the past few years.

I have no idea if it's common, but a 100% rate of encountering them on two widely separate occasions would lead me to believe that it's not uncommon, at least. ;-)

For what it's worth, both times I was at the ROC station last summer, I arrived just as a couple of Homeland Security/Customs agents were departing. I presume they were engaged in searches, as ROC is within the "Even if you're 100 miles from Canada, we'll let the Border Patrol have jurisdiction" concept that the courts have upheld over the past few years.

I have no idea if it's common, but a 100% rate of encountering them on two widely separate occasions would lead me to believe that it's not uncommon, at least. ;-)
While I believe its not an everyday thing its not that outlandish to see the Border Patrol in ROC checking the LSL.

And when I encountered then on trains - both on the northern border and southern border - the questioning went like this:

Them: "Your nationality?"

Me: "US!"

They walked to the next row! And if I'm in a sleeper (which is most often), I do not even see them - except for the car outside the window!

In my Amtrak travels, I've seen dogs frequently. But, I've been thru Reno several times & each time they boarded with dogs!!! A couple of times I noticed plain clothed passengers, riding the train, assisting in the Dog Search once we arrived at the Reno Station!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw uniformed police remove 2 people from the train (LSL) at the Buffalo Depew station.

I think they were Border Patrol police.

There is a prohibition on "large sharp objects such as axes, ice picks, and swords." Regular knives appear to be OK, though if you are subject to a random search there are no guarantees.

"The prohibited items list is not an exhaustive list. Any item that is similar to the prohibited items below, even if not specifically mentioned, is also prohibited. Amtrak personnel may determine if an item not mentioned in this list is prohibited."

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?c=AM_Content_C&pagename=am%2FLayout&cid=1241267293829

Mark

Sure! There is no "Security" theater on Amtrak like at airports!
Yep, I just wouldn't make a big deal about it. If you pointed out you had a boxful of knives, you might create a problem. Just keep your mouth shut and and bring it. As traveler pointed out, there are no (useless) security invasions.
Well... not exactly. OK... "useless invasions" maybe. :) But there is some security, as I discovered this past weekend on the AT.

For the first time, I actually saw the Amtrak Police deploying the K-9 unit at Lorton Station. They had the dog do a quick "once around"

the car exterior (i.e. around the running boards, etc.), sniffing for whatever it is they're trained to sniff. Thankfully, it did not alert on my

car, or any car that I saw. I would guess that if the dog did alert on a car, the car (and its owner) would get the ol' "Shake & Bake" inspection.

Of course, Amtrak disclaims that "all passengers/baggage are subject to search," just like airlines. Although, in Amtrak's case, it would seem

to fall upon the Amtrak Police and not the TSA (thankfully). :eek:hboy:
Actually, there have been many reports of TSA agents in train stations, and I have personally seen them in both NYP and CHI.

For a while about six months ago the amtrak policy were also swabbing all bags in PVD for explosives.

And it is very common to see amtrak police with trained K9 units in BOS, NYP, CHI, and other major stations.

But yes, there is no problem with bringing knives and in general, amtrak doesn't have security that is obtrusive or invasive.

amamba said:
1338494081[/url]' post='370732']For a while about six months ago the amtrak policy were also swabbing all bags in PVD for explosives.
We have to be careful of those from northern RI!
laugh.gif
We in South County don't do those things!
mosking.gif

While I believe its not an everyday thing its not that outlandish to see the Border Patrol in ROC checking the LSL.
The practice of Border Patrol agents routinely boarding the LSL & other trains has ended.

For the first time, I actually saw the Amtrak Police deploying the K-9 unit at Lorton Station. They had the dog do a quick "once around" the car exterior (i.e. around the running boards, etc.), sniffing for whatever it is they're trained to sniff. Thankfully, it did not alert on my car, or any car that I saw. I would guess that if the dog did alert on a car, the car (and its owner) would get the ol' "Shake & Bake" inspection.

Of course, Amtrak disclaims that "all passengers/baggage are subject to search," just like airlines. Although, in Amtrak's case, it would seem to fall upon the Amtrak Police and not the TSA (thankfully). :eek:hboy:
Probably looking for drugs or explosives or both.
I think the latter more than former, especially with it being the holiday weekend, etc., and it being a "light day" going southbound (the "snowbirds" are all heading north now). :)

Last year the border patrol was hanging around the Dearborn Michigan station asking passengers getting off the train where they were born. My response was (exactly this) "None of your business, what is this, North Korea" and I walked right past them. What are they gonna do, kick me off the train? I was already OFF the train heading for my car in the parking lot. After barking "Sir, Sir" a couple times they gave up and walked away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back