Strangest Things You've seen in Coach

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there baseball at Wrigley Field?

No, the cubs play there!

Any team can have a bad century or two!
I heard they were in their second century of rebuilding.

CUBS = Coming Undone Before September
September? I'd say more like six weeks.

BATTERY BOY

The next day, I bought a drink downstairs in the Sightseer Lounge. It was just before dark and just about all seats upstairs and down were occupied by passengers enjoying a fiery sunset. I suddenly spied open seats in a downstairs booth -- and recognized the lone occupant as a skinny, unkempt twentysomething guy from my coach car. I sat down across from him and noticed he had a whole bunch of batteries on the table. Without prompting, he explained that he enjoyed sticking batteries in his mouth. C and D cells he inserted sideways and then pushed in on his cheeks to make electrical contact. AA and AAA cells are a bit awkward because you have to push your cheeks in too far, he said. However, his favorite battery was the 9-volt because all he needed to do was stick out his tongue and touch the tip to both terminals. When I got up to get another drink, the guy at the counter apologized. "Sorry, I figured you were going back to your car or else I would have warned you about Mr. Electrico."
If we were voting on funniest story on an Amtrak train this would be it!! I still can't stop smiling about Mr. Electrico. :D

On a recent Empire Service trip there was a couple sitting across from me, and while the man spoke loudly on his cell phone to people at his job (even giving step by step info on accessing their computer files) the woman got out her hairbrush, gel, and a flat iron, plugged the iron in, and styled her hair for most of the trip to Rhinecliff, where they waited until the train had pulled into the station before packing up their computer, appliance, etc., and de-boarding the train. After that the car was quiet most of the way, except for the guy in front of me who decided to play a 90-minute DVD of a foul-mouthed comedian on his laptop with no headphones.
I would've gone downstairs and tripped the GFI on her curling iron. C'mon, people, don't do personal grooming at your seat!! (Especially doing nails...that stuff can be explosive!)
Downstairs on an Empire Service train would be the track. On an Amfleet the breakers would be found at the end of the car.
You just haven't been on the super-secret basement cars. It's what happens when the penthouse car flips over. :D

On a recent Empire Service trip there was a couple sitting across from me, and while the man spoke loudly on his cell phone to people at his job (even giving step by step info on accessing their computer files) the woman got out her hairbrush, gel, and a flat iron, plugged the iron in, and styled her hair for most of the trip to Rhinecliff, where they waited until the train had pulled into the station before packing up their computer, appliance, etc., and de-boarding the train. After that the car was quiet most of the way, except for the guy in front of me who decided to play a 90-minute DVD of a foul-mouthed comedian on his laptop with no headphones.
I would've gone downstairs and tripped the GFI on her curling iron. C'mon, people, don't do personal grooming at your seat!! (Especially doing nails...that stuff can be explosive!)
Downstairs on an Empire Service train would be the track. On an Amfleet the breakers would be found at the end of the car.
I was tempted to do something like that...one of the Amtrak staff (don't remember if it was the conductor or car attendant) walked by and asked her if she knew there was a bathroom behind her with a mirror. He was very polite about it, but she just shrugged and said she was fine. That was only a few minutes before they departed.

This very goth young lady in her early 20's got on in Palm Springs with her equally goth boyfriend. They apparently were going all the way to Bloomington, IL on #422 where they were planning to move (it's amazing what you can overhear in the lounge car sometimes). Anyway, somewhere on the first night of the trip they "broke up" on the train -- and the boyfriend took away all of her money and belongings -- and got off in El Paso. She was all alone on the train with nothing. Her "meals" consisted of ketchup packets and the free crackers on the bottom level of the SSL car. Some guys then decided to buy her a bunch of alcohol... and she got drunk and took off her pants and underwear and ran through the SSL. I was a witness to this. I thought she would be kicked off the train, but the conductors let her stay on if she remained in her seat the rest of the trip... which she did to BNL.
This is really sad to me. :( If I had seen that happen, I would have bought her some food to last her the rest of the trip. Those guys are pigs. They could have done the chivalrous thing and chose not to.
Unfortunately, Chilvalry is either dead or very sick in many people. The characters that got her drunk are the ones who should have been kicked off, preferably while the train was moving.
Mr. Harris is right here -- but not for the reasons he thinks. Chivalry is dead -- Why should a guy be responsible if a young woman chooses to get drunk and make a fool of herself ? I sympathize with her breaking up with the boyfriend, but her drinking herself silly is her problem, her responsibility.

Mr. Harris is right here -- but not for the reasons he thinks. Chivalry is dead -- Why should a guy be responsible if a young woman chooses to get drunk and make a fool of herself ? I sympathize with her breaking up with the boyfriend, but her drinking herself silly is her problem, her responsibility.
Wow nice. "Her responsibilty".

Your profile show you to be 42 years of age. It does not show with your posting.

This very goth young lady in her early 20's got on in Palm Springs with her equally goth boyfriend. They apparently were going all the way to Bloomington, IL on #422 where they were planning to move (it's amazing what you can overhear in the lounge car sometimes). Anyway, somewhere on the first night of the trip they "broke up" on the train -- and the boyfriend took away all of her money and belongings -- and got off in El Paso. She was all alone on the train with nothing. Her "meals" consisted of ketchup packets and the free crackers on the bottom level of the SSL car. Some guys then decided to buy her a bunch of alcohol... and she got drunk and took off her pants and underwear and ran through the SSL. I was a witness to this. I thought she would be kicked off the train, but the conductors let her stay on if she remained in her seat the rest of the trip... which she did to BNL.
This is really sad to me. :( If I had seen that happen, I would have bought her some food to last her the rest of the trip. Those guys are pigs. They could have done the chivalrous thing and chose not to.
I couldn't have said it better, Sorcha.

Unfortunately, predators of all stripes are always on the look out for any kind of opportunity.

I've only been on 12 LD trips, 11 in coach, in the past year and I've seen nothing so weird that it's even worth mentioning here.

Unless you count a drunk here and there but the Conductors always do a good job of taking care of those problems as discretely as possible so that the pax aren't disturbed.

There's always an *atmosphere* created by the passengers...

The worst being my trip on the CZ last week which I expected to be the best, then again, my trip was during the Super Moon.
ohmy.gif
laugh.gif

The best being the train I expected the least from based on the snarky 'Chicken Bone Express' nickname I've seen here - both trips on the CONO were wonderful, crew and passengers.

I couldn't have said it better, Sorcha.

Unfortunately, predators of all stripes are always on the look out for any kind of opportunity.
Ditto for me too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunately, Chilvalry is either dead or very sick in many people. The characters that got her drunk are the ones who should have been kicked off, preferably while the train was moving.
&
She was all alone on the train with nothing. Her "meals" consisted of ketchup packets and the free crackers on the bottom level of the SSL car. Some guys then decided to buy her a bunch of alcohol... and she got drunk and took off her pants and underwear and ran through the SSL.
Those guys are pigs. They could have done the chivalrous thing and chose not to.
I couldn't have said it better, Sorcha. Unfortunately, predators of all stripes are always on the look out for any kind of opportunity.
Ditto for me too.
Let's not forget that the glorious age of chivalry was also full of socially accepted violence toward both women and children alike behind closed doors. I am not aware of any age in the history of humankind where women were anywhere near as protected from the abuse of others as they are now. Wish for whatever you want, but when it comes to the safety of women it certainly won't get better by going backward in time toward some revisionist dreamland that never existed.

I also have to say that this happened in Sleeper as well.

About 10 years ago I took the CNO from Chicago to New Orleans for Company Business. The morning after leaving Chicago, I got up early (about 5:00am) and took a shower, when finished with that, I had breakfast in the Diner and then came back to my room. At about 8:00am, the door to the sleeper across from me opened up, and a young, blonde, rather statuesque women walked into the hallway completely "buck naked" and proceeded to walk down the hall to the shower. Within seconds the Sleeper Attendant, who was a Woman stopped in front of my door and asked: "did I see what I just saw?" I said: "yup" and she hustled down the hall after this young woman saying: "I have to have a talk with her!"

About 10 minutes later the young woman returned to her room with a bedsheet wrapped around her and the Attendant in tow. Turns out she was from Sweden and while her english was good, she seemed to not understand what all the fuss was about.

Let's not forget that the glorious age of chivalry was also full of socially accepted violence toward both women and children alike behind closed doors. I am not aware of any age in the history of humankind where women were anywhere near as protected from the abuse of others as they are now. Wish for whatever you want, but when it comes to the safety of women it certainly won't get better by going backward in time toward some revisionist dreamland that never existed.
Removed my ersponse. Arguing with a fence post comes to mind.)

About 10 years ago I took the CNO from Chicago to New Orleans for Company Business. The morning after leaving Chicago, I got up early (about 5:00am) and took a shower, when finished with that, I had breakfast in the Diner and then came back to my room. At about 8:00am, the door to the sleeper across from me opened up, and a young, blonde, rather statuesque women walked into the hallway completely "buck naked" and proceeded to walk down the hall to the shower. Within seconds the Sleeper Attendant, who was a Woman stopped in front of my door and asked: "did I see what I just saw?" I said: "yup" and she hustled down the hall after this young woman saying: "I have to have a talk with her!"

About 10 minutes later the young woman returned to her room with a bedsheet wrapped around her and the Attendant in tow. Turns out she was from Sweden and while her english was good, she seemed to not understand what all the fuss was about.
in sweden nude is no big deal only in the usa do the prudes freak out over being naked

Didnt happen in Coach, but in the Diner. While on my way from CHI - PIT on the Capitol Limited, I was sitting at a table with two Hasidic Jew's. The waitress came up to one of them, put her hand on his shoulder, and said "Good Evening! What can I get you tonight darlin?". The guy pushed her hand off of him and said "You should NEVER touch another man! You must ask for forgiveness!" She looked at him, and with a look on her face, said "WELL EXCUUUUUUUUUUUSE ME!! What would you like for dinner?". (The guys left the diner)
I think that this is something that ALL OBS crew members should be made aware of. It is generally taboo for ANYONE to touch ANYONE except when shaking hands, or helping up and down steps, etc. The reasons are a myriad, from religious as shown here, to hygienic, to personal space, to jealous wife, to whatever.

The baseline approach should always be hands off except in offering aid.

That being said, the passengers who choose to not live OF this world still choose, by obviously riding Amtrak, to live IN this world. They need to be a bit less, well, touchy.
Had these guys pre-ordered kosher meals? And if they had, how are observant diners able to keep kosher in an Amtrak dining car in the first place? Even if the food arrives sealed from a kosher kitchen, doesn't it need to be heated or defrosted in a non-kosher appliance? Or if the food product remains sealed and doesn't touch the non-kosher appliance, is it OK?

I should have answered this question sooner but I have been busy the past few days. Amtrak orders its kosher meals (at least on the east coast) from some restaurant/caterer in Miami. The meals come sealed and are designed to be reheated in a non-kosher appliance. The food will remain kosher as long as the seal and/or the wrapping is not broken.

As for the touching thing I agree with everything said. In general cross-gender touching is a big no no for Orthodox Jews (many make exceptions to non-sexual contact like handshakes) but that does not give you license to be rude. If the gentleman in question would have simply shifted his shoulder and looked and the woman uncomfortably I imagine the hand would be gone in seconds.

Sadly their is little correlation between piety and manners.

Removed my ersponse. Arguing with a fence post comes to mind.)
You didn't just remove your response. You also replaced it with yet another random personal attack. Bravo Mr. Chivalry.

Here's your original response for those who missed it...

I do not know what sort of society you are thinking about or know about, but is was certainly not the one in my background, but then what do I know? It was mostly rural and small town deep south until early 20th century when some moved to the (still in Deep South) city. It was one of my Great Grandmothers that had the saying carried through the family, and it may have started before her: "Beat me once, shame on you. Beat me twice, shame on me." (For not leaving, if you cannot grasp her meaning.)
Leaving a truly abusive husband and suddenly being forced to cobble together a life on your own is not as easy as just walking out the door. Back when women didn't have many options in the labor market and weren't given much if any protection from their own husbands it was quite an ordeal with no clear path toward productive freedom. Not to mention that anyone sadistic enough to seriously abuse you in the first place is probably sick enough to come after you (or your friends and family) when you leave. Which is why we now have anti-stalking laws, minimum separation, state-initiated prosecutions, and witness protection. The term "chivalry" comes from the middle ages, back when women were treated more like chattel than anything else. Be careful what you wish for folks.

On the EB, eastbound, a young woman with a stuffed animal who spent the whole trip asleep on one of the seats in the lounge (with her blanket pulled over her head). The conductors looked sideways at her every time they walked by, but never woke her up or asked for her ticket (that I saw). We theorized that she was a stowaway, and thus avoided being caught, or that she stayed on long past the stop she had bought a ticket for.

Well, chivalry is an old word that evokes distant eras.

But simple Good Manners, on the other hand, is much more current. That is what is seriously lacking nowadays, and not just in the younger folks. Lots of people are just plain mean-spirited and rude everywhere I go. Doesn't mean i have to be.

I was raised in the South (most of my family on both sides is from North Carolina) and we were taught to behave - and I still try my best - to be polite and respectful to one another (including strangers) whenever possible. I still hold doors open for women and older folks, kids, any anyone who looks like it might help (if they have arms full of luggage for example).

And I am always ready to help a smaller, less capable person hoist a heavy suitcase up to the overhead rack. Why not? It's easy for me. It is not so difficult nor inconvenient to be nice. It makes life a lot easier, less stressful, to just be nice, just be friendly (unless given reasons not to be).

So yeah. I would have been nice to that "goth" girl, same as to anyone else. And if she rejected basic niceness, I'd leave her alone. I mean this is all a no-brainer. Right?

in sweden nude is no big deal only in the usa do the prudes freak out over being naked
If that is true, what do yo think would happen if the young lady did this on a train in the UK? Germany? Japan? Australasia? or anywhere in the Mid-East?

Semantics. Obviously, I wasn't talking about chivalry in the sense of fiefdoms and chattel. Come on... I'm sure you could have figured that out.

Check the first definition. THAT'S what I meant. Everyone else got my meaning.

chiv·al·rous

Adjective:

• (of a man or his behavior) Courteous and gallant, esp. toward women.
  • Of or relating to the historical notion of chivalry.

Sorcha said:
1336866704[/url]' post='367024']
Texas Sunset said:
1336755240[/url]' post='366795']Let's not forget that the glorious age of chivalry was also full of socially accepted violence toward both women and children alike behind closed doors. I am not aware of any age in the history of humankind where women were anywhere near as protected from the abuse of others as they are now. Wish for whatever you want, but when it comes to the safety of women it certainly won't get better by going backward in time toward some revisionist dreamland that never existed.
Semantics. Obviously, I wasn't talking about chivalry in the sense of fiefdoms and chattel. Come on... I'm sure you could have figured that out.

Check the first definition. THAT'S what I meant. Everyone else got my meaning.

chiv·al·rous

Adjective:

• (of a man or his behavior) Courteous and gallant, esp. toward women.
  • Of or relating to the historical notion of chivalry.
Absolutely, Sorcha... That's what I meant too.In fact, I'm always especially chivalrous towards old men. :p

Ack! I thought it was the same for women, chivalry, that is. :)))

But simple Good Manners, on the other hand, is much more current. That is what is seriously lacking nowadays, and not just in the younger folks. Lots of people are just plain mean-spirited and rude everywhere I go. Doesn't mean i have to be.

I was raised in the South (most of my family on both sides is from North Carolina) and we were taught to behave - and I still try my best - to be polite and respectful to one another (including strangers) whenever possible. I still hold doors open for women and older folks, kids, any anyone who looks like it might help (if they have arms full of luggage for example).

And I am always ready to help a smaller, less capable person hoist a heavy suitcase up to the overhead rack. Why not? It's easy for me. It is not so difficult nor inconvenient to be nice. It makes life a lot easier, less stressful, to just be nice, just be friendly (unless given reasons not to be).

So yeah. I would have been nice to that "goth" girl, same as to anyone else. And if she rejected basic niceness, I'd leave her alone. I mean this is all a no-brainer. Right?
^What he said!

It is sad when anyone--male or female--takes advantage of a weaker person--male or female. Every day, we have opportunities to help people or hurt people. I believe that most people, thank God, are like Sorcha, Joanie, and Maine Rider and will come to the aid of people in trouble. Unfortunately, there are some who are opportunists and have no problem using other people's weak moments to their advantage.

It is sad when anyone--male or female--takes advantage of a weaker person--male or female. Every day, we have opportunities to help people or hurt people. I believe that most people, thank God, are like Sorcha, Joanie, and Maine Rider and will come to the aid of people in trouble. Unfortunately, there are some who are opportunists and have no problem using other people's weak moments to their advantage.
Now, these statements I agree with. My earlier statement was a reaction based upon a lifetime of living in an area with individuals who demanded chivalry when it was convenient, and "Equality" when that was convenient. I was also raised to treat others with respect, unless the individual did something inconsiderate to me. Then, that's different.

Well, chivalry is an old word that evokes distant eras. But simple Good Manners, on the other hand, is much more current. That is what is seriously lacking nowadays, and not just in the younger folks. Lots of people are just plain mean-spirited and rude everywhere I go. Doesn't mean i have to be.
Agree. Well said.

Chivalry sounds completely disconnected and out of place in 2012. Maybe it's time to drop these tired old cliches based on outdated concepts of innocence and strength. Today we have something even better than chivalry. Today we have a solution generations in the making. Today we have equal rights. The only problem with equal rights is that it also requires equal effort and equal responsibility to work correctly.

Well, chivalry is an old word that evokes distant eras. But simple Good Manners, on the other hand, is much more current. That is what is seriously lacking nowadays, and not just in the younger folks. Lots of people are just plain mean-spirited and rude everywhere I go. Doesn't mean i have to be.
Agree. Well said.

Chivalry sounds completely disconnected and out of place in 2012. Maybe it's time to drop these tired old cliches based on outdated concepts of innocence and strength. Today we have something even better than chivalry. Today we have a solution generations in the making. Today we have equal rights. The only problem with equal rights is that it also requires equal effort and equal responsibility to work correctly.
T.S., it's a pleasure to agree with you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back