Cheap railfan trip in the Northeast

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

battalion51

Engineer
For those of you who live in the New England area, and haven't discovered this already, there is an incredibly cheap quick railfan trip available everyday on Amtrak. You can take 447/449 from South Station to Springfield, and then 448 back for $30 roundtrip with no discounts, or $27 with NARP/AAA. While the connection in Springfield isn't guaranteed, it shouldn't be hard to make since 448 is usually late anyway.

I discovered this when making my plans to head out to Springfield this summer. I couldn't find a cheap flight from FLL to Bradley, so I tried a flight to Boston. I found a Song flight to Boston (arriving 10:23A). I spoke to a buddy of mine who said I could easily take the Subway to South Station, then hop on 447 out to Springfield.

Total cost: $111.45

Total time from Ft. Lauderdale to Springfield: 9 hours

Miles covered: 1335

Average speed: 148 MPH

Trip of a lifetime: Priceless

Just make sure that you allow enough time to get to South Station. You've gotta ride three different subway lines, plus take a shuttle bus from the airport to the Blue line.

I can't speak to the shuttle bus, but it took me about a 1/2 hour from the Airport's blue line station to reach South Station. It's longer on the weekends too, with bigger headways. I stayed at a hotel right near that Blue Line station a few times when I was in Beantown.

I'm doing the trip on a Thursday, I figure it'll take me til about 11 to get out of the airport, and I'd like to be at South Station by noon, so I think that'll work out fine.

Sean, dont know exactly when the newest portion of the silverline opens but if it is you could take a "bus rapid transit" option directly from the airport to south station. The drawback is you can't ride the subway, but it should be quicker then taking the blue, orange and red lines.

Just saw, according the MBTA the silverline airport service will begin fully June 1st.

You’ll be arriving into Terminal A on Delta Song. So once you’ve retrieved your luggage and are outside of security you’ll want to catch the #22 Massport (Logan) Shuttle. This will make two more stops at Terminal B then go direct to the Blue Line Airport Station. From there you want to take the Blue Line (Bowdoin) to Government Center; Green Line (B-Boston College) to Park Street; and the Red Line (Ashmont or Braintree) to South Station. Depending on how things go it should take no more than an hour to complete the journey, and cost you no more than a $1.25.

Let me also add that once you're on the Blue Line you can jump off at State, take the Orange Line (Forest Hills) to Downtown Crossing, and pick up the Red Line (Ashmont or Braintree) to South Station. This option may shave off about 5-10 minutes.

If that bus thing is up and running like 999 said direct from Logan to South Station I'll most definitely go that route. But I couldn't find the reference on the MBTA website.

Amfleet said:
Let me also add that once you're on the Blue Line you can jump off at State, take the Orange Line (Forest Hills) to Downtown Crossing, and pick up the Red Line (Ashmont or Braintree) to South Station. This option may shave off about 5-10 minutes.
One word of caution, finding the Orange line at State is a pain. It's a real maze there, as one has to walk down the blue line plat to the northbound Orange line plat. The go upstairs from then and walk almost a full block underground to the southbound Orange line plat.

This is faster and probably less crowded that the Green line trains, but it could take you a few minuted to figure out where to go. Green line trains can get very crowded at times, but the transfers are easier with minimal walking.

battalion51 said:
If that bus thing is up and running like 999 said direct from Logan to South Station I'll most definitely go that route. But I couldn't find the reference on the MBTA website.
That's cause the Silver line is really the Silver lie. Here's the page for the Silver line.

One other option is to take the Blue Line from Airport to State and walk from there to South Station. The walk is about 3/4 of a mile (15 minutes tops) through downtown Boston. If it is a nice day, walking is really a pleasant option. It would save taking two more smelly subway trains and would give you a quick sightseeing walking tour of Boston.

AlanB said:
battalion51 said:
That's cause the Silver line is really the Silver lie. Here's the page for the Silver line.
I agree Alan. Although I have not been on it or any other of Bostons Mass transit, from my research it seems more of a glorified bus route.

The information for the silverline airport connection is under the waterfront area of that website. I believe it is SL1 which starts june first. It's supposed to serve the airport terminals, then head back for silverline way via the ted williams tunnel(another joke-it actually leaked for a while). Whats unclear now is weather or not you have to change silverline busses at silverline way to get to south station.

I guess more information will be available after June 1st on it.

EDIT: For more information about the silverline project go to http://www.allaboutsilverline.com/. A map of the airport service is also at http://www.allaboutsilverline.com/images/SL1.jpg.

I'll just add my vote for the Logan -> #22 bus -> Blue -> Green -> Red thing. It's ridiculously easy and cheap for $1.25. ;)

Anthony said:
I'll just add my vote for the Logan -> #22 bus -> Blue -> Green -> Red thing. It's ridiculously easy and cheap for $1.25. ;)
If I weren't in a rush and did not have a large bag, I would go for the rail option too. Price is the same for the rail or bus options.

engine999 said:
If I weren't in a rush and did not have a large bag, I would go for the rail option too. Price is the same for the rail or bus options.
If I had a large bag, I don't think that I'd go on the Silver Lie. It's a bus, there isn't much room for luggage to my knowledge.

Alan, supposilly mbta retroffitted the silverline vehicles for more baggage room that will be running to the airport. Hopefully they got it right unlike the rest of the project.

So if I were to walk over to Ground Transportation, you think they'd be able to advise me on the best way to get to South Station based on how much crap I have?

battalion51 said:
So if I were to walk over to Ground Transportation, you think they'd be able to advise me on the best way to get to South Station based on how much crap I have?
My best guess is depending on who staff the information kiosk at ground transportation. If its an MBTA employee the Silverline might be reccommened as it is the Pride and Joy of the T.

Some how I doubt there will be any staff at ground transportation. Id say either call MBTA, or when you get to ground transportation ask the bus driver of the #22 or silverline bus. They may know whats the easiest.

Based on number of connections the silverline may require less lugging up and down stairs.

Good Luck!

Alan did bring up a valid point about the connection from the Blue Line to the Orange Line at State. In fact there's a similar connection at Downtown Crossing from the Orange to the Red Line. A couple years back I accidently walked the wrong way and made my way back up onto the street at Downtown Crossing. In turn I had to pay to get back on the Red Line for the short hop to South Station. I later found a underground tunnel connecting to two lines. So while it may take longer, you may be better off to go Blue to Green to Red. The signage on the T for the most part is pretty clear, just pay attention to which moves you make.

There will most likely me an information kiosk in the baggage claim of Terminal A, but they will probably give similar suggestions to as the posts here. While the Silver Line is scheduled to open in June I wouldn't be surprised to see that delayed, considering that's a trend that looms over Boston.

Jon, actually I dont think this part of the project will be delayed due to the fact the majority of the capital construction for the project for airport service is complete. In theory all they need is to start running the busses via the tunnel to the airport.

But then again this is MBTA.

Back