Rude

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Cynthia

Conductor job is to place your setting locations and to make sure you make your locations distention. NOT !!!!

I was dropped off at night while the conductor stop for a smoking brake for 5 minutes and made sure everyone who smoked got back on the train. I am 60 years old and have a disability the conductor was suppose to make sure I got off the train the stop before his smoking brake. When I asked why he didn't check on me he said "it's not my problem" and then said "how would I know if you wanted to stay on the train and get off at another location?" ASK ! I will keep this so called professional conductor in mind when others ask about the service and care for elders when they travel on the train.

Conductor job is to place your setting locations and to make sure you make your locations distention. NOT !!!!

I was dropped off at night while the conductor stop for a smoking brake for 5 minutes and made sure everyone who smoked got back on the train. I am 60 years old and have a disability the conductor was suppose to make sure I got off the train the stop before his smoking brake. When I asked why he didn't check on me he said "it's not my problem" and then said "how would I know if you wanted to stay on the train and get off at another location?" ASK ! I will keep this so called professional conductor in mind when others ask about the service and care for elders when they travel on the train.
This forum is not part of Amtrak. We can't do anything to solve your problem. You need to contact Amtrak direct and discuss the situation with them

When the conductor announced your stop was coming up, what did you do?

When the conductor announced the train has arrived at your stop, what did you do?

When you looked out the window and saw your station, what did you do?

The best I can make out of your story, is that you choose to do nothing. You mentioned you are disabled, but I have to assume your disability doesn't involve sight nor hearing.

What train was this? Did it have attendants? Was this during regular daylight hours? Did you make anyone aware that you needed special advance notice of your upcoming destination? (and what is your "distention"?? "Brake"??? Verb/subject agreement???)

I am guessing that the original poster is deaf, like me (his language suggests that). One cannot expect most conductors, rail attendants, or flight attendants to inform us of important announcements while on board. They will say yes, and be sincere about it, and simply forget—they've got a lot on their minds, after all. For these requests to be forgotten is of course irritating but there are greater problems in the world. We just have to learn to live with it and use other coping strategies.

Don't you all think this person is looking for some helpful comments to their situation, you all are being rude, by saying "we can't help you,"

"what did you do?" Instead, be kind, say a kind word with some helpful suggestions for the next time. You weren't there with them, maybe they could have explained a bit more but come on Amtrak forum members you can do better than that.

I am guessing that the original poster is deaf, like me (his language suggests that). One cannot expect most conductors, rail attendants, or flight attendants to inform us of important announcements while on board. They will say yes, and be sincere about it, and simply forget—they've got a lot on their minds, after all. For these requests to be forgotten is of course irritating but there are greater problems in the world. We just have to learn to live with it and use other coping strategies.
I'm going to assume that this poster is not deaf since they wrote: When I asked why he didn't check on me he said "it's not my problem" and then said "how would I know if you wanted to stay on the train and get off at another location?" ASK ! I

And then....

I will keep this so called professional conductor in mind when others ask about the service and care for elders when they travel on the train.

Even with a disability, age 60 is far from elderly.

I'm going to assume that this poster is not deaf since they wrote: When I asked why he didn't check on me he said "it's not my problem" and then said "how would I know if you wanted to stay on the train and get off at another location?" ASK ! I

And then....

I will keep this so called professional conductor in mind when others ask about the service and care for elders when they travel on the train.

Even with a disability, age 60 is far from elderly.
One can be deaf & still communicate with others. Either by wearing hearing aids (which do not provide perfect hearing) or by lip reading . I wear hearing aids and have trouble hearing announcements. I might "hear" them but have trouble understanding what is being said.

I was pleasantly surprised on Delta last year in that the FA acknowledged my being HoH/deaf (it was in the manifest) & that the headrest TV's had a video of the safety instructions with closed captioning. I have know idea if the other airlines are as good as I rarely travel.

Wow, are you all so judgemental, you have no idea about this persons situation, what their disability is, and yet you all continue to minimize their issue.

i'm not trying to be rude here, and i am genuinely sorry that the person had a difficult and upsetting trip. that said, is anyone else baffled by this...

"how would I know if you wanted to stay on the train and get off at another location?" ASK !
umm, what? so the conductor is supposed to ask you if you want to get off the train at a location other than what you are ticketed for? is that what she's trying to say here?

@happytotravel: it's not that we are judgemental. unfortunately, people tend to post here once to make a complaint thinking this is amtrak and we can do something about it. and a lot of times it's the passenger who's at fault. if anything, a lot of people around here have heard the boy who cried wolf too many times. that's all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, are you all so judgemental, you have no idea about this persons situation, what their disability is, and yet you all continue to minimize their issue.
Not being judgmental at all, only trying to make sense of something that makes no sense at all and lacks any kind of credible information.

Also - 60 is not elderly and the O.P. seems to feel that her age, 60, warrants special treatment.

I'm well aware of disabilities, I have a daughter who, like Amtrak Blue, wears two hearing aids as well as a prosthetic leg - I'm far from unsympathetic.

Conductor job is to place your setting locations and to make sure you make your locations distention. NOT !!!!I was dropped off at night while the conductor stop for a smoking brake for 5 minutes and made sure everyone who smoked got back on the train. I am 60 years old and have a disability the conductor was suppose to make sure I got off the train the stop before his smoking brake. When I asked why he didn't check on me he said "it's not my problem" and then said "how would I know if you wanted to stay on the train and get off at another location?" ASK ! I will keep this so called professional conductor in mind when others ask about the service and care for elders when they travel on the train.
I'm not quite sure what you're saying is wrong. That you were not advised your station had been reached in time to disembark? I honestly thought that was the responsibility of the car attendant myself. After you notified the conductor that you had missed your stop what did they do?

Definitely true at times - thick skin is often necessary here, as on most internet forums.

It would be helpful if the original poster had described the disability. There are always two sides to a story, too.

And why? Because the OP posted so little information about what happened. In coach? In Sleeper? Did car attendant fail to help? Was it really the conductor or was it the car attendant the OP was talking about? Usually the car attendant wakes up the passengers when approaching their stop and would be the person standing outside the car. How late at night? If the OP had a disability, was someone waiting at the station for them? Did that person say anything when they failed to get off the train?

We not only don't have both sides of the story, we have hardly even one side. And that is the fault of the poster, not the commenters.

And why? Because the OP posted so little information about what happened. In coach? In Sleeper? Did car attendant fail to help? Was it really the conductor or was it the car attendant the OP was talking about? Usually the car attendant wakes up the passengers when approaching their stop and would be the person standing outside the car. How late at night? If the OP had a disability, was someone waiting at the station for them? Did that person say anything when they failed to get off the train?

We not only don't have both sides of the story, we have hardly even one side. And that is the fault of the poster, not the commenters.

Yeah, I have to admit that my first thought is "Well, if you communicated your needs to the conductor ( car attendant/etc ) as well as you communicated your problem to us, it's no wonder...

I am extremly confused. I thought that this thread was locked. This is causing a lot of arguements and anger. I cannot even understand the OP. Could some please explsain what she is trying to get across?

What makes the least sense to me is that the OP said that her stop was a smoke stop. If so, she easily had 5 minutes to see that the station wa sthere and get off, disability or not. If the smoke stop is there, it wouldn't take much to realize to get off before mssing a stop, which I'm not even sure happened. ???

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back