Strangest Things You've seen in Coach

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What is this "COACH"?
huh.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
C'mon! When you travel coach, you decide which person gets the beer or food and where each one sits so as to gain the most yards to the front of the train. When you forget your ticket, you have someone do an end run around the conductor to grab one from the hands of another traveler. If you do real good, the LSA comes by with a big bucket of Gatorade and dumps it on you. You also earn big bucks but not as much as the college kids who are traveling with you but at least you know how to read.

I think the best one I have is one time riding from Chicago to Milwaukee on the Hiawatha. I was in the quiet car (as I usually do). All the passengers in the quiet car were faithfully observing the quiet car rules... until shortly before Sturtevant where one of the passengers who had fallen asleep started snoring pretty loudly. So much for the "Quiet Car". If I remember correctly, someone eventually woke him up.

one of the SCAs commented that "This is a family train, and we're not going to have any of that."
That reminds me of one time on the northbound Starlight. A couple was put off the train - and handed over to the local sheriff - for having intercourse in their coach seat. I was in a sleeper but heard about it in the Parlor car and was talking about it with some of the crew. Evidently the couple wasn't even trying to be discreet. When the conductor came along it was easy to see he was not the least bit amused. We probably could have made it from K-Falls to Chemult on the steam coming out of his ears. :angry2:

I think the best one I have is one time riding from Chicago to Milwaukee on the Hiawatha. I was in the quiet car (as I usually do). All the passengers in the quiet car were faithfully observing the quiet car rules... until shortly before Sturtevant where one of the passengers who had fallen asleep started snoring pretty loudly. So much for the "Quiet Car". If I remember correctly, someone eventually woke him up.
Does it mention anywhere in the Quiet Car rules that snoring is prohibited? If yes, I would like to see that
biggrin.gif

I was on 30 this past August, and as I was bringing a few bags, a guitar, amplifier, and some recording equipment, I opted for a family bedroom. The people in the room next to mine (roomette 14) had misconnected from the previous day's Zephyr or Chief, and were quite cheery despite having spent the previous night in a roach-infested Kankakee (or Homewood) motel, courtesy of Amtrak. The woman noticed I had a guitar, and asked numerous questions about my music.

"Oh, we're a musical family," she said, referring to herself and the son with whom she occupied the roomette. "I absolutely love to sing. Would you like to hear something?"

Before I had time to respond, she was telling her 11-year-old son to sing with her. He, totally immersed in his Nintendo DS game, issued a whine that suggested he was not interested in singing.

"Do it," the mother said, her words somewhere between a coax and a demand.

"I don't want to, mom," the boy pleaded.

The mother gave her son a stern look and commanded him to sing a Russian hymn with her in two-part harmony, throughout much of which the kid blushed and rolled his eyes. Toward the end, he looked like he was about ready to die of embarassment. (On a side note, I am extremely grateful that my mother never made me sing for strangers.) They sang incredibly well together, but it was a really strange situation. I felt bad for the kid.

The woman told me that she and her son were missionaries for the Russian Orthodox Church, and that they were coming from some conference in Alaska or New Mexico, or something. I now understood why she and her son were singing in Russian, despite the fact that neither seemed to speak it.

Then the train left CHI.

The mother asked (or interrogated) me about my childhood and my life plans, and five minutes out of CHI, I'm sure she knew my life story. She then told me hers, which was quite interesting (though I must admit I hadn't asked, and was perplexed as to why she was telling me at all). She showed me a walking stick she had made, and explained to me the ways in which the stick was connected to God.

When the first dinner seating was called, the pair stood up to go to the diner. The mother insisted (quite seriously) that I had to eat with them, regardless of my reservation time. She was nice and the situation was pretty entertaining, so I decided I'd go with them. We encountered a fantastic diner crew (by far the best I've ever had), so naturally conversation turned to our impressions of Amtrak. We sat in our booth for almost two hours, talking about many things. Over desert, the woman told us about past abusive boyfriends for three or four minutes. Then, for an uplifting change of pace, she told us about the death of her son's father, a member of the armed services, and the best man she's ever known. Her son didn't seem at all comfortable during this part of the conversation.

The fourth person at our table then talked about his ex-wife for what felt like an eternity. He spoke of how she used to throw kitchen appliances at him, and how one day she lost it and stabbed him. He told us he was considering torching her car. He wasn't joking.

After dinner, we returned to our rooms. There was some question as to whether the mother and son would be able to stay in their room all the way to Pittsburgh, and the mother asked me if she and her son would be welcome in my family room. I said yes, assuming she was joking. When the conductor came through to speak with the mother, she (the mother) told the conductor that if things didn't work, it was okay, because she and her son could just stay in my room. She was not joking.

Fortunately, the passenger who booked the woman's roomette CLE-WAS was able to be moved to another roomette.

Throughout the evening, I got to hear about the woman's spirit being set free. She told me she had embraced religion, and was using it to turn her life around. And then she told me everything again.

Every time she left the room—to go to the bathroom, to go to the lounge, etc.—her son would come into my room. It was pretty awkward.

Weird experience, though the people were nice, and I enjoyed the trip more than I've enjoyed any other Amtrak trip.

Nicest lady, but batsh•t crazy.

one of the SCAs commented that "This is a family train, and we're not going to have any of that."
That reminds me of one time on the northbound Starlight. A couple was put off the train - and handed over to the local sheriff - for having intercourse in their coach seat. I was in a sleeper but heard about it in the Parlor car and was talking about it with some of the crew. Evidently the couple wasn't even trying to be discreet. When the conductor came along it was easy to see he was not the least bit amused. We probably could have made it from K-Falls to Chemult on the steam coming out of his ears. :angry2:
Another tawdry tale from the Starlight as passed on by an SCA last year. A "woman of the night" boarded the train late in the evening along with her "manager." Having executed a successful onboard marketing campaign, the woman consummated a few new client relationships in the lavatories. Someone went to the Dining Car and tipped off the conductor, who promptly squelched the party and introduced them to the local sheriff who was dying to learn more about their teeming enterprise. :ph34r:

"Upgrade to a roomette already!" :)

Speaking of intoxicated passengers - when i took the SWC from Flagstaff it was something like 6 hours late out of FLG (both engines failed around ABQ). There was a guy who had evidently spent all 6 hours in a bar and was pretty drunk in the waiting room - enough to make other passengers feel a bit uncomfortable. Either he didn't have a ticket or caused some problem with the conductor as after his 6 hour wait, he was thrown off at Williams Junction into the hands of the cops.

Is lovemaking illegal everywhere onboard Amtrak or just in Coach? Some people spend several nights in Sleepers and my mind always seems inclined to believe at some point many of them would have made themselves a part of the rail-equivalent of the Mile High Club
ph34r.gif

I'm sure there is a Steel Snake or Big Iron club out there. So long as you're in private in your own paid for sleeper room, there's no rule against it. Only rule I can think of is if the train is a rockin', don't come a-knockin'. Of course, whole train rocks.....

So far I've enjoyed Jim's "Wannabe Conductor" and Donctor's "Singing Duet" stories the best. As for the "Meter High Club" stories, um, yeah. I guess now I know why the carpeting is so stained and grimy everywhere. If Amtrak ever receives new cars I hope they replace the carpeting with something that can be cleaned completely.

Is lovemaking illegal everywhere onboard Amtrak or just in Coach? Some people spend several nights in Sleepers and my mind always seems inclined to believe at some point many of them would have made themselves a part of the rail-equivalent of the Mile High Club
ph34r.gif

I have dubbed the rail equivalent of the Mile High Club the "79 Mile Per Hour Club." Hope it catches on.

Ocala Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
Ocala Mike

I first heard of and joined the 79 mph club almost 40 years ago on an Amtrak train in the Midwest.

NOTE: names and train numbers have been omitted to protect the innocent! :giggle: :rolleyes: :giggle:

If they do actually "Get a room[ette]!", there's no problem, and as long as they can't be heard over the normal track noise, no one's going to complain. Close the curtains, though, please.

On a short coach hop, I had a seatmate say he liked to pray, and might speak in tongues.

In the diner one, I was seated across from a guy and his daughter. He had flame tattoos all over his face, and looked like a pro wrestler. [He might have been; I don't follow it.] He was actually pretty nice, and he was taking his daughter to Disneyland (this was on the Coast Starlight).

not in coach, but in a sleeper on the Capital Limited, we had a passenger who boarded in South Bend, and told the SCA to not lower his bed, every hour or 2 he'd come out of his room fully dressed, go somewhere for 5 or 10 mins, then come back to his room, sit in his chair clutching his briefcase and closed the door. The man never went to bed, never made up his room, never even turned his light off that we could tell. It was like that all the way into DC. Even the SCA was getting a little freaked out by it (this wasn't too long after 9-11). I have no idea what it was all about or what his story was, but he could have just bought a coach seat and saved high bucket price. I was in the family room (solo)and he was he in one of the downstairs rooms also. The whole thing was very.. very.. strange to be honest.
Maybe he was suffering from insomnia. Just a thought.

I remember walking through a coach car on the way to diner for lunch one day. There were about 25 Amish people all sitting together eating apples. It was almost like in unison! When I came back from lunch they were all brushing their teeth in unison!

Last edited by a moderator:
I was on a southbound Acela once and a woman got on with her (grown) daughter in Providence to help her with her bags. After helping her with her bags, she proceeded to stand next to her daughter and hold a several minute conversation, as if there was no rush to get off the train. Sure enough, the doors closed and the train began to roll out of the station. The woman then lost it, yelling at the top of her lungs, "Stop the train! Stop the train! I have to get off the this train!" There was muffled laughter throughout the car and she soon ran through to the next car, screaming as loud as she could, "I have to get off this train!" She must have run forward to the first class car, as a conductor was soon paged there. He brought her back to my car, where she tried to convince him to reverse direction of the train and he tried to explain he couldn't. Eventually, he agreed to provide her a seat in first class and the Acela made an unscheduled stop in either Mystic or New London (the stop near one of the only NEC grade crossings where the train has to slow down) to let her off and made arrangements with a Regional to pick her up and take her back to Providence.

I was on a southbound Acela once and a woman got on with her (grown) daughter in Providence to help her with her bags. After helping her with her bags, she proceeded to stand next to her daughter and hold a several minute conversation, as if there was no rush to get off the train. Sure enough, the doors closed and the train began to roll out of the station. The woman then lost it, yelling at the top of her lungs, "Stop the train! Stop the train! I have to get off the this train!" There was muffled laughter throughout the car and she soon ran through to the next car, screaming as loud as she could, "I have to get off this train!" She must have run forward to the first class car, as a conductor was soon paged there. He brought her back to my car, where she tried to convince him to reverse direction of the train and he tried to explain he couldn't. Eventually, he agreed to provide her a seat in first class and the Acela made an unscheduled stop in either Mystic or New London (the stop near one of the only NEC grade crossings where the train has to slow down) to let her off and made arrangements with a Regional to pick her up and take her back to Providence.
I'm betting they were tempted to just open the door and say "There you go hon."

not in coach, but in a sleeper on the Capital Limited, we had a passenger who boarded in South Bend, and told the SCA to not lower his bed, every hour or 2 he'd come out of his room fully dressed, go somewhere for 5 or 10 mins, then come back to his room, sit in his chair clutching his briefcase and closed the door. The man never went to bed, never made up his room, never even turned his light off that we could tell. It was like that all the way into DC. Even the SCA was getting a little freaked out by it (this wasn't too long after 9-11). I have no idea what it was all about or what his story was, but he could have just bought a coach seat and saved high bucket price. I was in the family room (solo)and he was he in one of the downstairs rooms also. The whole thing was very.. very.. strange to be honest.
Maybe he was suffering from insomnia. Just a thought.
That could explain the actions of the passenger from South Bend. The hard part is trying to explain the constant surveillance and concern between the OP and the SCA. Even though nothing bad actually happened that doesn't seem to have changed the OP's opinion about the experience in the slightest. It's almost like he still thinks he just barely made it out of there alive or something. I also don't understand the criticism of the stranger's supposed extravagance of purchasing a roomette and leaving it in day mode when the OP himself is a single passenger taking up a whole family room. I agree that there are a lot of strange things about this story but most of them seem to have little or nothing to do with the passenger from South Bend. Situational awareness is a good thing, but it can get the better of you if you let it. When I close my curtains it's not the briefcase toting insomniac that I'm trying to avoid. It's the self-appointed hall monitor with nothing better to do than watch what everyone else is up to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back