Flood disruption of 48/49 today

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jis

Permanent Way Inspector
Staff member
Administator
AU Supporting Member
Gathering Team Member
Apparently CSX's Water Level Route is flooded again. 48/448 and 49/449 show service disruption for today. Apparently 48/448(7) has made it to Cleveland and now Amtrak is trying to figure out what to do with it, according to postings on trainorders. 49/449(8) shows service disruption already on Amtrak status.

Apparently 49/449(7) made it through before the flooding occurred. Don't know where the flooding is, but it is said to be in Eastern NY, more than likely, again around Fonda NY.

Apparently CSX's Water Level Route is flooded again. 48/448 and 49/449 show service disruption for today. Apparently 48/448(7) has made it to Cleveland and now Amtrak is trying to figure out what to do with it, according to postings on trainorders. 49/449(8) shows service disruption already on Amtrak status.

Apparently 49/449(7) made it through before the flooding occurred. Don't know where the flooding is, but it is said to be in Eastern NY, more than likely, again around Fonda NY.
The famed New York Central's underwater level route! Take the Pennsy's Broadway Limited instead, and enjoy a good night's sleep in the cool, mountain air of Pennsylvania!

Can anyone think of a worse year for Amtrak long distance trains? I can't. Virtually every single route has been disrupted at one time or another, and sometimes for extended periods. I think the only Coast Starlight has escaped the carnage so far. Otherwise, it's been a nightmare for Amtrak. They must have the local charter bus companies on speed dial.

Last edited by a moderator:
48/448(07) are headed to DC on the Capitol Limited's route via Pittsburgh. Passengers for ERI-BUF-ROC-SYR detrained at CLE and are being bussed. All others will be accommodated on other trains at DC.

Rafi
So they could not get NS to accept an extra on the Pennsy route, or at least the logistics of getting the right set of crews in place work out. Oh well.

So are they going to deadhead the consist to NY or will 49/449 originate in DC tomorrow?

Today's 49 is canceled, so today's set will probably originate in NYP tomorrow. Most likely, the rerouted 48's set will deadhead to NYP/BOS.

48/448(07) are headed to DC on the Capitol Limited's route via Pittsburgh. Passengers for ERI-BUF-ROC-SYR detrained at CLE and are being bussed. All others will be accommodated on other trains at DC.

Rafi
So they could not get NS to accept an extra on the Pennsy route, or at least the logistics of getting the right set of crews in place work out. Oh well.

So are they going to deadhead the consist to NY or will 49/449 originate in DC tomorrow?
I had wondered the same thing myself with the Pennsy route. My guess is that NS couldn't spare the capacity (I noticed that 42/43 didn't make it past Harrisburg yesterday) or maybe the crews weren't available.

Also, I should clarify.... 449/49 are bussing all other PAX east of PGH to WAS (I guess because of the CSX track work project), and the train will deadhead from there once it gets a route.

Rafi

The Harrisburg-Philadelphia route has been hit with some weather-related problems as well. Lots of slow orders, and service was shut down yesterday due to debris on the tracks and such. Going to DC is probably the best way to get the cars to the east coast.

Is 48 running normally again yet? I've tried checking train status on Amtrak's site but the function is disabled, citing a service disruption.

Is 48 running normally again yet? I've tried checking train status on Amtrak's site but the function is disabled, citing a service disruption.

I found this for 48 but not showing anything for 49 out of NYP today

48Lake Shore LimitedFrom Chicago, IL -

Union Station (CHI) 9:30 pmSun Sep 11, 20119:30 pmDeparted: on time.

To New York, NY -

Penn Station (NYP) 6:35 pmMon Sep 12, 20117:35 pm(1 POST ARR): T19:35:00Arrived: 1 hour late.

49 seems to be running on time, now. It left Utica only 8 minutes late.

I'm considering a trip back home (ROC to EKH) in a month or so. I've never had a bustitution, and I'm wondering if this might be my chance!

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like 48 made it to Albany today only 25 minutes late. I'm ticketed on 48 out of Chicago next Wednesday so my fingers are crossed.

48/49 has been running for the last couple of days. The problem on the water level route has been that the bridge across the Mohawk at Hoffmans was slightly damaged in course of the floods, causing for a bottleneck for eastbound CSX trains heading to Selkirk. I drove by Palatine Bridge, Fonda and Amsterdam on Saturday, and noticed that there was a line of eastbound freights sitting nose to tail on the eastbound track. So the railroad was essentially a single track railroad and whatever Amtrak trains were running were just squeaking by on that one track. Then there was a power line that fell on the tracks on Sunday causing further disruption. But that has cleared upto as I understand it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back