Top Ten Questions For Joseph H. Boardman

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Devil's Advocate

⠀⠀⠀
Lets' say Joseph H. Boardman was willing to sit down with you and answer ten questions of your choosing. Nothing is off limits so long as it relates to Amtrak in some way. What would you ask him?

I might ask his opinion of governors who refused to accept federal dollars to begin the job of making high speed rail a reality, instead allowing that plum to go to other states. Say...what about DFW to Houston?

I'd say "Why are you wasting your time sitting down with me instead of doing your job?"
That should be part of his job. Getting to know who his customers are and what they think about his product and how they see things (good & bad).

I’d ask him “If a train leaves Chicago at 1:30 heading west at 45 MPH, and a train leaves Los Angeles at 4:45 heading east at 50 MPH, at what point would they both go in to Service Disruption and which one would be more behind schedule?”.

I might ask his opinion of governors who refused to accept federal dollars to begin the job of making high speed rail a reality, instead allowing that plum to go to other states. Say...what about DFW to Houston?
If Boardman has any political survival skills at all, he won't directly answer the question about the governors beyond vague statements. If one is going to draw up a list of 10 questions, ask questions that Boardman can answer and not politically loaded ones he can't.

As for DFW to Houston, Texas received $15 million this week from the Florida HSR re-allocated funds for Preliminary Engineering and project level environment analysis to develop a "Core Express" corridor from DFW to Houston. The funding was obligated this week along with $34 million from TIGER II grants for the Tower 55 project. It is worth noting that this is Preliminary Engineering and EIS work, presumably to select alternative routes & options and come up with specific cost numbers, not just another feasibility study. How much this is related or tied into the Texas T-bone proposal, don't know.

Mr. Boardman,

Why is there such an inconsistent level of service on Amtrak trains? Although you have many conscientious employees who treat customers with respect and give high quality service, you also have many employees who are rude, act as though they are doing you a favor by being on the train, and who give a bad name to Amtrak.?? :(

Why is communications so poor on many Amtrak trains and among agents? One can ask five different employees for an answer to a question and get five different responses, many of which have no relationship to reality? :( :(

Although it is true that operating equipment is old and in need of replacement, why are there many instances in which trains have not been cleaned properly, windows are dirty and needed repairs that have been noted for many days, have not been addressed?? :(

Is there an ongoing effort to review routes and possibly change some of the current routes to include:?? a) Sunset Ltd extended from New Orleans to Jacksonville, Fl. b) A midwest train to Florida via Toledo through Kentucky, Tennessee and Georgia c) renewal of service to Las Vegas d) daily service and added sleepers on the Cardinal

Just a few for you to ponder Mr. Boardman. I await your answers. :)

I have a question for Texas Sunset - Is it safe to assume that the photo is not of you?

I'd ask him "If a train leaves Chicago at 1:30 heading west at 45 MPH, and a train leaves Los Angeles at 4:45 heading east at 50 MPH, at what point would they both go in to Service Disruption and which one would be more behind schedule?".
Thank you..............

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

EDIT: That may well be the best post of the year!

Last edited by a moderator:
I’d ask him “If a train leaves Chicago at 1:30 heading west at 45 MPH, and a train leaves Los Angeles at 4:45 heading east at 50 MPH, at what point would they both go in to Service Disruption and which one would be more behind schedule?”.
LOL!!

If Boardman has any political survival skills at all, he won't directly answer the question about the governors beyond vague statements. If one is going to draw up a list of 10 questions, ask questions that Boardman can answer and not politically loaded ones he can't.

As for DFW to Houston, Texas received $15 million this week from the Florida HSR re-allocated funds for Preliminary Engineering and project level environment analysis to develop a "Core Express" corridor from DFW to Houston. The funding was obligated this week along with $34 million from TIGER II grants for the Tower 55 project. It is worth noting that this is Preliminary Engineering and EIS work, presumably to select alternative routes & options and come up with specific cost numbers, not just another feasibility study. How much this is related or tied into the Texas T-bone proposal, don't know.
Agreed on the political survival skills part...never alienate anyone if at all possible!!

The Tower 55 project is strongly needed and overdue. There is supposed to be some bridge work involved too. Not being as aware of it all as you are, but I heard some of the money was still held up in the surface transportation bills that will be discussed next week.....Where I live, we are doing work on the UP line that Amtrak uses between Dal and FTW, to allow for construction of a toll road under existing track ROW, and it involves moving two railways and an industrial spur about 30 feet north, and them moving them back a few months later, so the tunel can be dug under the tracks in segments. This slows down rail traffic somewhat, and cannot be good for the scheduling at Tower 55. Should be finished by the end of 2012.

Last time any transportation corridor was discussed in Texas, it became a fiasco (Trans-Texas Corridor) that looked a lot like a land grab for some company out of Spain, in many people's eyes. And it is as dead as a doornail today. IMHO, as long as SWA has sway with Texas politicos, high speed rail here is as dead as that same doornail. Just one guy's opinion.

Still would want to ask him about his vision of the possibility of high speed rail over long distances here in the USA.

The Texas T-Bone was shot down by the FRA since it didn't include a direct connection between Houston and Dallas.

I would ask MR Boardman if he ever gets a chance to ride an Amtrak train outside of the NEC.

Since the other members will ask all the usual questions, Id ask him if he would swap places and I'd ride around on Beech Grove and he could ride in the Coaches and Sleepers and get to experience what it's "really like" to ride Amtrak!

As pertains to the picture of Rick "The New Nixon" Perry, I'd venture that Texas Sunset wouldnt want to trade places with that Charlatan who is fixing to be exposed for the Empty Suit he really is!!! :rolleyes:

Just when is somebody going to do something about taking the flag stop status off of Slidell, LA so we can get our broken up 264 foot platform that requires a double stop each and every day fixed? Approaching 10,000 boardings and de-trainings this fiscal year we are not a flag stop community! Ignorance of a perilous condition is absolutely no excuse. And we are on a HSR routing to Atlanta ??? :help: :help: :help:

The Texas T-Bone was shot down by the FRA since it didn't include a direct connection between Houston and Dallas.

I would ask MR Boardman if he ever gets a chance to ride an Amtrak train outside of the NEC.
Boardman has been photographed and reported speaking to people multiple times riding the Amtrak trains across the US in the Beech Grove car. You may be frustrated about the paucity of Amtrak service in Texas, but Amtrak is not going to expand or add new service in anyplace without reasonably solid state and local support.

Boardman has been photographed and reported speaking to people multiple times riding the Amtrak trains across the US in the Beech Grove car. You may be frustrated about the paucity of Amtrak service in Texas, but Amtrak is not going to expand or add new service in anyplace without reasonably solid state and local support.
Riding in Beech Grove is not exactly the typical Amtrak experience.

Excellent question!

Touche! :lol:

It's rather sad to think we live in a time and location where plain and reasonable talk is severely punished by the voters, but I think you're probably right. All we want to hear are inane promises filled with absurd claims and mutually exclusive results packaged into a simple and easy to digest fairytale.

Why is there such an inconsistent level of service on Amtrak trains? Why is communications so poor on many Amtrak trains and among agents? Why are there many instances in which trains have not been cleaned properly, windows are dirty and needed repairs that have been noted for many days, have not been addressed?
I would absolutely echo the concern over inconsistent service, lack of communication, and insufficient cleaning standards!

I have a question for Texas Sunset - Is it safe to assume that the photo is not of you?
LOL! Very funny Penny.

Agreed on the political survival skills part...never alienate anyone if at all possible!
My avatar is a man who has done his very best to intentionally and routinely alienate just about anyone who believes in wisdom and logic and yet his political career has never been stronger.

Last time any transportation corridor was discussed in Texas, it became a fiasco (Trans-Texas Corridor) that looked a lot like a land grab for some company out of Spain, in many people's eyes. And it is as dead as a doornail today. IMHO, as long as SWA has sway with Texas politicos, high speed rail here is as dead as that same doornail. Just one guy's opinion.
Today the Texas media would be even more suspicious and critical of a major passenger rail initiative and the forces that lobbied against it before are even larger and more powerful today. In addition most Texans don't buy into the whole "green" movement so the pollution reduction benefits of passenger rail compared to our current transportation solution involving hundreds of planes and millions of full sized pickup trucks and SUV's is a moot point here. When our miraculous governor found out Texas was saddled with some of the most polluted cities in the entire nation his answer was to attack the agency responsible for monitoring our pollution levels in the first place. Which is a lot like how Bush responded to problems and is how the average Texan politician thinks. If the message doesn't fit into their preconceived assumptions of inherent Texan greatness then instead of actually dealing with any of it they just focus on mocking the messenger.

I would ask him (if in so many words) whether, assuming similar intermodal connections and assuming that Amtrak was to be running the project(s), he thought it was wiser to shoot for "true" HSR on a more limited basis or lower-speed operations covering more territory. For example (and I offer this strictly as an example), does shooting for 220 MPH between CHI-STL make sense, or would the money be better spent expanding frequencies 110-125 MPH service over more areas in the Midwest with a similar amount of funding?

And yes, I'd be open to either answer here...it's more a matter of priorities than it is a pure either/or, if you will.

The other question I'd ask him, again in so many words, is how he would like to see the future of the LD services go, and what he sees as being the future of those markets in terms of demand (i.e. rates of increase, etc.). Does he see more future in the East than in the West, for example?

Mr. Boardman,

Why is there such an inconsistent level of service on Amtrak trains? Although you have many conscientious employees who treat customers with respect and give high quality service, you also have many employees who are rude, act as though they are doing you a favor by being on the train, and who give a bad name to Amtrak.?? :(

Why is communications so poor on many Amtrak trains and among agents? One can ask five different employees for an answer to a question and get five different responses, many of which have no relationship to reality? :( :(

Although it is true that operating equipment is old and in need of replacement, why are there many instances in which trains have not been cleaned properly, windows are dirty and needed repairs that have been noted for many days, have not been addressed?? :(

Is there an ongoing effort to review routes and possibly change some of the current routes to include:?? a) Sunset Ltd extended from New Orleans to Jacksonville, Fl. b) A midwest train to Florida via Toledo through Kentucky, Tennessee and Georgia c) renewal of service to Las Vegas d) daily service and added sleepers on the Cardinal

I agree, I totally see a Toledo-Florida route as a true moneymaker with exceedingly high ridership! NOT!!!!! I do believe that some of the other options have been addressed though. As for a), the Sunset Limited, you can view the service study for reinstating Gulf Coast service in the Reports and Documents section on the Amtrak website. The PIP for the Cardinal is also there.

Mr. Boardman,

I agree, I totally see a Toledo-Florida route as a true moneymaker with exceedingly high ridership! NOT!!!!! I do believe that some of the other options have been addressed though. As for a), the Sunset Limited, you can view the service study for reinstating Gulf Coast service in the Reports and Documents section on the Amtrak website. The PIP for the Cardinal is also there.
I think the Cardinal is most likely to happen. A MW train to Florida might happen...but I think it's most likely to be via either the Capitol Limited being merged with the Silver Star or by extending the CONO over the Sunset East route (both have been examined in the last few years). The problem is that a lot of the tracks between Atlanta and Chicago (regardless of route) are in bad condition and you'd be running trains at 30-50 MPH much of the way barring improvements. ATL-SAV-JAX is under consideration, but as I understand it there are host railroad problems on that front (probably as well as track condition issues that preclude decent timing).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back