Funds Obligated for 120 bi-level coach car buy

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Unquestionably, Amfleets. Again, there are enough routes that are height-restricted; in a crunch, you could flip the Cap or CONO to single-level if you absolutely had to; you cannot do the opposite to the Silvers, Crescent, or Cardinal unless you start dropping part of the consist in Washington (nor the Lake Shore unless you do something that makes virtually no sense like, if even technically possible, rerouting it into Grand Central).
Just as a reminder, Grand Central has as severe as if not worse loading gauge restrictions like Penn Station, so one gains nothing by flipping anything to Grand Central. The only thing big is the headhouse. The tunnels (specially those under Park Avenue) are no bigger than the Penn Station ones.

Unquestionably, Amfleets. Again, there are enough routes that are height-restricted; in a crunch, you could flip the Cap or CONO to single-level if you absolutely had to; you cannot do the opposite to the Silvers, Crescent, or Cardinal unless you start dropping part of the consist in Washington (nor the Lake Shore unless you do something that makes virtually no sense like, if even technically possible, rerouting it into Grand Central).
Just as a reminder, Grand Central has as severe as if not worse loading gauge restrictions like Penn Station, so one gains nothing by flipping anything to Grand Central. The only thing big is the headhouse. The tunnels (specially those under Park Avenue) are no bigger than the Penn Station ones.
That's why I put the parenthesis in place...I wasn't sure what the tunnel situation was at NYG. With that particular qualifier, I'm left wondering if the Boston section could even theoretically be run with Superliners without major capital upgrades. If not, then we have one train that must be single-level and four others that need to be at least partly single-level.

Also, as an observation, ridership on the single-level LD trains has risen substantially faster year-over-year than on the Western trains (34.4% for the Viewliners for '05-'11 if the current increases hold vs. 19.3% for the Superliner trains). Granted, some of that is the breakdowns those trains have had, but it's still there...and it's been the case in 4 of the last 6 years ('08-'09 clearly went to the Superliners, and '09-'10 narrowly did). I suspect it's the recurring problems you can run into with routes that run 1500+ miles, but the Eastern LD trains are just plain doing better in terms of ridership growth to the tune of about 1.5% per year, give or take. Of course, what would be nice is to get breakouts on the CHI-DEN and CHI-MSP markets in particular...but we can all dream. It's also worth noting that the Cap behaves a bit like a hybrid (which makes sense given the through traffic pattern it has mixed with the fact that it is an Eastern train).

You wouldn't want to run the Lake Shore with Superliners because there's also the platform issue. Superliners cannot use high-level platforms, and many stations on the east end of the LSL's route only have high-level platforms.

There have been a couple of occasions where the LSL ran with Superliners in an emergency (inbound equipment was extremely late with no hope of turning it in time, or some other inicdent prevented the inbound from arriving into CHI). The train has to terminate at ALB, using an older, normally out-of-service platform to unload passengers, and they have to walk a bit to the station. Similar situation at Syracuse, where the platform is high-level, but there is some kind of emergency low-level platform available, but not one you'd want to use on any kind of regular basis.

You wouldn't want to run the Lake Shore with Superliners because there's also the platform issue. Superliners cannot use high-level platforms, and many stations on the east end of the LSL's route only have high-level platforms.
Yep. They will have to terminate the Boston Section in Back Bay since it won;t be able to platform at South Station. The New York section would have nowhere to platform south of Rhinecliff. And of course even theoretically it could not get into either Penn Station or Grand Central.

Also soon Schenectady is going high level as part of the CCDTA rebuild of the station ground up. Rochester might also go high level when the inter-modal center is built depending on what track layout they go for, but that is a bit of a ways off.

One problem with the quote from the Fleet Strategy Plan is that Boardman has consistently refused to order new equipment.
With the exception of the Viewliners. And then the new electrics. And now the bilevels.
*sighs* Sorry, unclear reference. I was referring to the reference in the plan to buying new Superliner LD equipment, which Boardman has been very reluctant to try and buy.
OK, gotcha. That's still a part of the plan. Aside from the fact that we don't have the money sitting around to do it, ordering everything at once is at odds with the plan to keep a steady state procurement to keep the factories going. After the viewliners, electrics, bilevels and high speed diesels the Superliner replacements will come.
I can definitely see that...granted, I'd rather see a multi-year purchasing plan committed to that would get a steady stream of business going to a domestic supplier (or at least one on the North American continent) rather than having to see new factories built every time.
To be clear, Mr. Boardman isn't reluctant to buy new equipment. He'd like to start buying some equipment for those trains. However, since he submitted a plan to Congress almost 2 years ago now for buying new equipment and Congress has done nothing about that plan, Mr. Boardman has now gone on record as saying that he won't buy anything new until Congress gives him a clear decision on the future & fate of the LD's.

Of course getting Congress to provide a clear definition on anything is a near impossibility. :eek:

Woohoo somewhat good news! Of course I'm more worried about the LD trains as that's my preferred way of traveling cross-country, I don't care if it takes 3 days or 6 hours, it's better than flying. lol but being from Michigan it's nice to know that we'll get some new equipment and hopefully Amtrak will be able to use the current equipment to replace older cars/locomotives or just as backups.

Yep. They will have to terminate the Boston Section in Back Bay since it won;t be able to platform at South Station. The New York section would have nowhere to platform south of Rhinecliff. And of course even theoretically it could not get into either Penn Station or Grand Central.

Also soon Schenectady is going high level as part of the CCDTA rebuild of the station ground up. Rochester might also go high level when the inter-modal center is built depending on what track layout they go for, but that is a bit of a ways off.
Ok, serious question time: In terms of cost per seat added (or cost per sleeping slot added), how do Superliners compare to Viewliners? I think I punched in 60/$2.5 million and 96/$4 million and got equivalent costs, so...I'd definitely go with prioritizing a single-level order over a bilevel order.

One problem with the quote from the Fleet Strategy Plan is that Boardman has consistently refused to order new equipment.
With the exception of the Viewliners. And then the new electrics. And now the bilevels.
*sighs* Sorry, unclear reference. I was referring to the reference in the plan to buying new Superliner LD equipment, which Boardman has been very reluctant to try and buy.
OK, gotcha. That's still a part of the plan. Aside from the fact that we don't have the money sitting around to do it, ordering everything at once is at odds with the plan to keep a steady state procurement to keep the factories going. After the viewliners, electrics, bilevels and high speed diesels the Superliner replacements will come.
I can definitely see that...granted, I'd rather see a multi-year purchasing plan committed to that would get a steady stream of business going to a domestic supplier (or at least one on the North American continent) rather than having to see new factories built every time.
To be clear, Mr. Boardman isn't reluctant to buy new equipment. He'd like to start buying some equipment for those trains. However, since he submitted a plan to Congress almost 2 years ago now for buying new equipment and Congress has done nothing about that plan, Mr. Boardman has now gone on record as saying that he won't buy anything new until Congress gives him a clear decision on the future & fate of the LD's.

Of course getting Congress to provide a clear definition on anything is a near impossibility. :eek:
Actually, I would call that a reluctance to order new equipment. Hopefully some of the LD routes will, under the current conditions, at least perk up on their CR numbers. Checking the YTD figures, most routes are up between 2.5% and 5%.

Last edited by a moderator:

Actually, I would call that a reluctance to order new equipment. Hopefully some of the LD routes will, under the current conditions, at least perk up on their CR numbers. Checking the YTD figures, most routes are up between 2.5% and 5%.
He's not reluctant to buy new cars. He wants to buy new cars. But he can't buy new cars if Congress isn't going to give him a commitment for funding the purchases.

If he was reluctant to buy new cars, then he wouldn’t have had his staff produce a detailed plan about which types of cars to buy and in what numbers.

He's not reluctant to buy new cars. He wants to buy new cars. But he can't buy new cars if Congress isn't going to give him a commitment for funding the purchases.

If he was reluctant to buy new cars, then he wouldn't have had his staff produce a detailed plan about which types of cars to buy and in what numbers.
Well, I'm left wondering about that RR financing facility. Granted, I can understand wanting to make sure that Congress won't turn around the next day and say "Oops, we're cutting the LD subsidy by $100 million...pick a few Western routes to kill!"...but the sad truth is that even with a "commitment", the next Congress can (regrettably) do this anyway.

If he was reluctant to buy new cars, then he wouldn't have had his staff produce a detailed plan about which types of cars to buy and in what numbers.
Well, I'm left wondering about that RR financing facility. Granted, I can understand wanting to make sure that Congress won't turn around the next day and say "Oops, we're cutting the LD subsidy by $100 million...pick a few Western routes to kill!"...but the sad truth is that even with a "commitment", the next Congress can (regrettably) do this anyway.
While I'm sure that's part of his concern, and a valid concern, I think his bigger concern is signing say a 5 year contract for a bunch of new cars without a promise from Congress to actually provide the monies needed to buy those cars. And my understanding is that Mr. Boardman isn't just holding off on buying new LD cars, he's holding off on placing any more orders for new cars period where Amtrak is the only one getting the bill.

That means no new LD cars after the Viewliners, no new corridor cars save those being brought by the States, no new HSR cars for Acela or a replacement thereof after the current order already in.

While I'm sure that's part of his concern, and a valid concern, I think his bigger concern is signing say a 5 year contract for a bunch of new cars without a promise from Congress to actually provide the monies needed to buy those cars. And my understanding is that Mr. Boardman isn't just holding off on buying new LD cars, he's holding off on placing any more orders for new cars period where Amtrak is the only one getting the bill.

That means no new LD cars after the Viewliners, no new corridor cars save those being brought by the States, no new HSR cars for Acela or a replacement thereof after the current order already in.
Ah, ok. I'd heard the reluctance only in the context of the Superliners, not the Viewliners.

Also, to be fair, I'd point out that producing the Fleet Plan might well have been an attempt at a funding-generating doorstopper like the long-term HSR plan seems to have been in part (or might have been mandated by Congress)...and given some of the issues with practically implementing it, I wasn't sure how practical it was actually intended to be.

Ah, ok. I'd heard the reluctance only in the context of the Superliners, not the Viewliners.
There is currently a stated policy that no new long distance equipment will be purchased by Amtrak until Congress clarifies what Amtrak's role should be relative to LD service.This was stated by Boardman in the House and Senate hearings on the future budgets within the last couple of months.

He did not say anything about Regional service, since Amtrak is actually a party to most equipment orders for Regional service, some exclusively and some in partnership with states. In some sense Congress has already taken the position several times that Regional Corridors should be developed. As for actually funding such, it has been not as forthcoming, but still the stiuation is not as undefined as for LD.

Also, to be fair, I'd point out that producing the Fleet Plan might well have been an attempt at a funding-generating doorstopper like the long-term HSR plan seems to have been in part (or might have been mandated by Congress)...and given some of the issues with practically implementing it, I wasn't sure how practical it was actually intended to be.
It was necessary to have a credible study on what the higher end possibilities are in order to come up with something that is a stepwise improvement over the Corridor Plan. The study was also necessary to feed into the Program EIS for the Corridor that is a currently funded project being run by the FRA on behalf of the State of NJ. Indeed a few elements of the Future HSR study are slowly finding their way into the so called Gateway II part of the plan for upgrading the corridor in NJ. This would not have been possible without that study being in place.

I find it interesting that if Amtrak does not do any planning then it is criticized for not doing so. And then if it does some credible planning it is rail advocates that come out of the woodworks finding reasons for why Amtrak might have been doing so even though they really didn't want to do it. Bizarre IMHO!

Will these 120 cars be able to completely replace the Midwestern fleet even after the Hiawaths have gone Talgo?
That's an interesting question MattW, but I believe that when the Wisconsin Talgos are built and start running there will be a big taadaa and then after a few years, I think the Talgos will be quietly moved out West to beef up the CA-OR-WA service and Wisconsin will again have the same cars as the rest of the Midwest States. 3 years tops, even with a Talgo maintenance base being built in Wisconsin.

I don't think a blanket restriction on ordering more new LD cars would apply to the 40 Acela coach cars. Those have a rare attribute for Amtrak - the Acela makes a profit above the rails and the new cars can pay for themselves in a few years. A sold out Acela leaves revenue on the table. If Congress does not appropriate capital funds in FY12 budget for the 40 Acela coach cars, it has been indicated that they would get a RRIF loan to pay for them - and probably for extending the Acela service facilities to handle longer trainsets (which presumably would be useful for Acela IIs someday). The rate, as of today, on a 10 year Treasury note is 2.47%, mind bogglingly low. Damn close to free money.

As for ordering more Viewliner 2s, it might make sense regardless, to wait until the first several units of the current order have been delivered to get feedback on build quality and any engineering or manufacturing changes that need to be made. The Viewliner 2s, I think are supposed to be delivered until 2015 and any large order would be added on after the end of the current production run anyway.

The contract for the 120 bi-level corridor cars is not going to be awarded and signed until sometime next year. The RFI, RFP, bid submission & review, committee decisions and vendor selection & negotiation process will take time, and with this many states involved, will be a very carefully followed procedural process. Ramp up of a production facility and delivery of the first bi-levels will likely take another 2+ years with deliveries spread over the next several years after that.

What Amtrak has now, that they did not have 3 years ago, are the start-up of US manufacturing facilities to build single and bi-level cars to Amtrak and new PRIIA standard specifications. This will give Amtrak a lot of options and flexibility they did not have before to place smaller incremental orders when Congress provides some piecemeal funding or take out government backed RRIF loans in place of commercial leases which have lot more strings attached.

I see a lot of people on these Amtrak forums who want Amtrak to submit large orders RIGHT NOW! Well, it is not up to Boardman, the Amtrak board also has to agree to any major contracts and I have no idea where they stand on LD trains as a collective group. I think people are losing sight of the progress made in the past several years for the fleet, even though there is still a very large backlog:

orders placed to address the critical immediate needs:

- 130 Viewliner 2s, 70 ACS-64s. Both of these orders should improve ticket revenue, the Viewliner tran-dorms and sleepers for more sleeper sales; the ACS-64 for more reliable NEC service, lower power consumption & maintenance cost and capacity to add more daily Regionals.

- 15 P-40s, 60 Amfleets and up to 21 Superliners restored to service using stimulus funds.

- By a rather protracted process, funding for states to buy 120 (or more) bi-level corridor cars and some 33 diesels.

- State orders for 4 Talgo trainsets.

- A plan to buy 40 additional coach cars for the Acelas

- A pretty well thought out Fleet Strategy Plan. Better to have a decent plan than no real plan at all.

A critical funding question could well be the replacements for the P-42 diesels. Amtrak can put off starting on the Amfleet II and Superliner 1 replacements a few more years if they have to. But given the failure and accident rate, they may need to place orders for several hundred new diesel locos sooner rather than later. That is a big ticket item purchase.

One problem with the quote from the Fleet Strategy Plan is that Boardman has consistently refused to order new equipment. Mind you, at least in theory some single-level sleepers could be pressed into service out west (think the old Santa Fe setups, or what Amtrak did at some points back in the 70s...there are some pictures on the '75 trip that was posted that show this), but that is not an ideal fix.
It is more that Congress has refused to fund any new equipment. Afterall Boardman may be personally rich, but he is no Warren Buffett. This really is not a call for Boardman to make, no matter how many people think that an Amtrak President/Chairman can carry on doing stuff that his/her owners do not want to commit to.

It is highly unlikely that any single level Sleeper will be pressed into anything out West. There is plenty of high unit price per mile ridership already available out east for those.

There will not be any significant expansion of LD service beyond addition of the new single level cars to single level trains and redistribution of Supers released from Corridor service to existing trains, until Congress comes up with a policy for what should be the future of LD service. Boardman has said so in House and Senate hearings. I have also heard from reliable sources in Amtrak Product Development department that there will be no new LD trains at least in the foreseeable future unless Congress decides otherwise and backs it up with funds. Why is it so difficult for people to believe that that is exactly what will happen?

Face it guys.... Amtrak is currently hunkered down in pure survival mode again, especially more so as far as LD service is concerned.

I am as much in favor of expanding LD service, but that is not on the cards at present. OTOH, I believe there will be significant expansion of Corridor service over the next couple of years.

I don't think a blanket restriction on ordering more new LD cars would apply to the 40 Acela coach cars. Those have a rare attribute for Amtrak - the Acela makes a profit above the rails and the new cars can pay for themselves in a few years. A sold out Acela leaves revenue on the table. If Congress does not appropriate capital funds in FY12 budget for the 40 Acela coach cars, it has been indicated that they would get a RRIF loan to pay for them - and probably for extending the Acela service facilities to handle longer trainsets (which presumably would be useful for Acela IIs someday).
That is correct. This was discussed in the Congressional hearings.

The rate, as of today, on a 10 year Treasury note is 2.47%, mind bogglingly low. Damn close to free money.
As I have stated before.... I have not heard of any blanket restriction on buying cars. The only point that has been made repeatedly by Boardman in Congressional hearings is that there will be no additional LD cars ordered until a strategy is in place regarding the future of LD service. And I am sure he has his Board on board with him on that. CEOs just don;t go about making public statements without consulting their Board, if they wish to retain their job.

As for ordering more Viewliner 2s, it might make sense regardless, to wait until the first several units of the current order have been delivered to get feedback on build quality and any engineering or manufacturing changes that need to be made. The Viewliner 2s, I think are supposed to be delivered until 2015 and any large order would be added on after the end of the current production run anyway.
Agreed

The contract for the 120 bi-level corridor cars is not going to be awarded and signed until sometime next year. The RFI, RFP, bid submission & review, committee decisions and vendor selection & negotiation process will take time, and with this many states involved, will be a very carefully followed procedural process. Ramp up of a production facility and delivery of the first bi-levels will likely take another 2+ years with deliveries spread over the next several years after that.
Agreed

What Amtrak has now, that they did not have 3 years ago, are the start-up of US manufacturing facilities to build single and bi-level cars to Amtrak and new PRIIA standard specifications. This will give Amtrak a lot of options and flexibility they did not have before to place smaller incremental orders when Congress provides some piecemeal funding or take out government backed RRIF loans in place of commercial leases which have lot more strings attached.
Onr more thing that might find its way into the equation is the concept of RoSCo'es as in the UK privatization, where the Rolling Stock is actually owned by Leasing Companies (RoSCo - Rolling Stock Company) which lease them to the TOC (Train Operating Companies). This takes things like equipment depreciation off the books of the TOCs and lets the Leasing Companies manage that. The only thing then that appears in the books of the TOCs regarding rolling stock is the leasing contract expense which often includes maintenance cost too. This has worked relatively well in the UK, but has failed to work in the US so far in the realm of passenger trains. OTOH for freight there are many many examples of cars actually being owned and leased by companies other than the train operating companies.

I see a lot of people on these Amtrak forums who want Amtrak to submit large orders RIGHT NOW! Well, it is not up to Boardman, the Amtrak board also has to agree to any major contracts and I have no idea where they stand on LD trains as a collective group.
I would find it very hard to believe that Boardman is making the pronouncements that he has about LD trains to the Congress without having discussed it with his Board. The problem with many people on Amtrak forums is that they think running Amtrak is like running a large HO model in the basement. When you want to add another express train you just send an order to Walthers, and bingo you are all set. The real world of running a full sized railroad in a hostile financial environment - and one that got significantly more hostile, specially where operating subsidies are under attack, is not like that..

I think people are losing sight of the progress made in the past several years for the fleet, even though there is still a very large backlog:

orders placed to address the critical immediate needs:

- 130 Viewliner 2s, 70 ACS-64s. Both of these orders should improve ticket revenue, the Viewliner tran-dorms and sleepers for more sleeper sales; the ACS-64 for more reliable NEC service, lower power consumption & maintenance cost and capacity to add more daily Regionals.

- 15 P-40s, 60 Amfleets and up to 21 Superliners restored to service using stimulus funds.

- By a rather protracted process, funding for states to buy 120 (or more) bi-level corridor cars and some 33 diesels.

- State orders for 4 Talgo trainsets.

- A plan to buy 40 additional coach cars for the Acelas

- A pretty well thought out Fleet Strategy Plan. Better to have a decent plan than no real plan at all.
I agree that overall this is a large backlog of new order, in line with the backlog of new equipment orders from the main line airlines when compared to the size of ops, for example.

A critical funding question could well be the replacements for the P-42 diesels. Amtrak can put off starting on the Amfleet II and Superliner 1 replacements a few more years if they have to. But given the failure and accident rate, they may need to place orders for several hundred new diesel locos sooner rather than later. That is a big ticket item purchase.
Agreed. Actually the acquisition of the Regional Diesels will already relieve considerable pressure on Amtrak's diesel fleet. I believe that Amtrak can even put off replacement of Amfleet Is by several years. Those cars have aged remarkably well. There are no significant body frame problems in them yet, so in principle they could easily live through another overhaul cycle. Yeah I hate those gun-slit windows. But I'd rather have them than no service.

I would say that so far Amtrak has prioritized their ordering sequence for new equipment very well. Food financial management since Kummant's time has also helped together with low interest rates allowing judicious refinancing of killing debts from Warrington's la-la land at more manageable levels of annual payment. In order to not get into the same bind, I would start getting alarmed when RRIF Loans start heading way North of a total of $1 billion in outstanding principal amount. With the 40 car Acela order we will get pretty close to that.

jls,

I think I kicked an idea like the leasing option that you mentioned out here a while ago...having Amtrak enter into some car use contracts for new equipment (say, a 10-year or 20-year contract) rather than paying up front. If they could spread the cost of the cars over time and secure it with a tranche of the revenue the car generated, I don't see why such a plan couldn't work.

As to the financial situation, what is the current debt load? I know it is far lower than it was a few years ago, but I can't tell what it actually is (i.e. what line items I should tally up to get it off the balance sheet).

Onr more thing that might find its way into the equation is the concept of RoSCo'es as in the UK privatization, where the Rolling Stock is actually owned by Leasing Companies (RoSCo - Rolling Stock Company) which lease them to the TOC (Train Operating Companies). This takes things like equipment depreciation off the books of the TOCs and lets the Leasing Companies manage that. The only thing then that appears in the books of the TOCs regarding rolling stock is the leasing contract expense which often includes maintenance cost too. This has worked relatively well in the UK, but has failed to work in the US so far in the realm of passenger trains. OTOH for freight there are many many examples of cars actually being owned and leased by companies other than the train operating companies.
Much of Amtrak's rolling stock is not owned by Amtrak, but by lease holders. The Amtrak FY12 Comprehensive Business Plan on page 27 lists a bunch of leases with Early Buyout Options (EBOs) with the EBO payment date through 1-July-2013 for a total of $420 million to be paid. I would assume most of these leases were set up to allow the private lease holders to get the tax depreciation writeoff on the equipment. Amtrak is getting funds from the FRA to exercise their EBO and improve their debt situation. The biggest upcoming EBO is "Trust 98C for 107 Superliners", EBO payment date of 19-June-2013 for $134.02 million. So Amtrak is significantly improving their debt payment situation which should allow them manuevering room on RRIF loans if they go that route. Wonder how many of these leases are holdovers from Warrington years?

I would find it very hard to believe that Boardman is making the pronouncements that he has about LD trains to the Congress without having discussed it with his Board. The problem with many people on Amtrak forums is that they think running Amtrak is like running a large HO model in the basement. When you want to add another express train you just send an order to Walthers, and bingo you are all set. The real world of running a full sized railroad in a hostile financial environment - and one that got significantly more hostile, specially where operating subsidies are under attack, is not like that..

I agree that overall this is a large backlog of new order, in line with the backlog of new equipment orders from the main line airlines when compared to the size of ops, for example.
Agreed. A lot of people on here and other Amtrak forums appear to have little understanding of the needs to run Amtrak as a business which can mean retiring old equipment rather than paying ever increasing maintenance and operating cost to keep it going. There is a nostalgia factor of why not keep the 50 or 60 year old equipment? None of the new rolling stock is off the shelf, so planning has to start years in advance to replace equipment which won't start delivery until 2-3 years after the contract is signed. So by the time the last replacement unit arrives, the current rolling stock it is replacing will be 5-6 years older. A lot of posters here don't seem to grasp that.

Agreed. Actually the acquisition of the Regional Diesels will already relieve considerable pressure on Amtrak's diesel fleet. I believe that Amtrak can even put off replacement of Amfleet Is by several years. Those cars have aged remarkably well. There are no significant body frame problems in them yet, so in principle they could easily live through another overhaul cycle. Yeah I hate those gun-slit windows. But I'd rather have them than no service.

I would say that so far Amtrak has prioritized their ordering sequence for new equipment very well. Food financial management since Kummant's time has also helped together with low interest rates allowing judicious refinancing of killing debts from Warrington's la-la land at more manageable levels of annual payment. In order to not get into the same bind, I would start getting alarmed when RRIF Loans start heading way North of a total of $1 billion in outstanding principal amount. With the 40 car Acela order we will get pretty close to that.
At 4% or so interest, if Amtrak can lock in Treasury rates that low, 1 or 2 billion of RRIF debt is very manageable if they have the ticket revenue to pay the RRIF loan off over 10-20 years. If Amtrak has to choose between replacing the Superliner 1s, the Amfleets and the P-42 diesels, I would think the locomotives get replaced. New coach, sleeper, diner/lounge cars don't go anyplace without enough locomotives to move them.

Much of Amtrak's rolling stock is not owned by Amtrak, but by lease holders. The Amtrak FY12 Comprehensive Business Plan on page 27 lists a bunch of leases with Early Buyout Options (EBOs) with the EBO payment date through 1-July-2013 for a total of $420 million to be paid. I would assume most of these leases were set up to allow the private lease holders to get the tax depreciation writeoff on the equipment. Amtrak is getting funds from the FRA to exercise their EBO and improve their debt situation. The biggest upcoming EBO is "Trust 98C for 107 Superliners", EBO payment date of 19-June-2013 for $134.02 million. So Amtrak is significantly improving their debt payment situation which should allow them manuevering room on RRIF loans if they go that route. Wonder how many of these leases are holdovers from Warrington years?
I believe all of it is from the Warrington years. It was all equipment that Amtrak owned outright, sold for the cash, and then leased back. Amtrak caught some flak for that, since they were paying for equipment that they already owned. Leasing to buy new stuff could potentially make sense. Leasing what you already owned free & clear, a bit less. Had Amtrak used the money from the lease back to buy other new equipment it might have made some sense. But they were borrowing to keep the lights on, while Amtrak glided into bankruptcy with assurances that they were on the glidepath to making a profit.

I believe all of it is from the Warrington years. It was all equipment that Amtrak owned outright, sold for the cash, and then leased back. Amtrak caught some flak for that, since they were paying for equipment that they already owned. Leasing to buy new stuff could potentially make sense. Leasing what you already owned free & clear, a bit less. Had Amtrak used the money from the lease back to buy other new equipment it might have made some sense. But they were borrowing to keep the lights on, while Amtrak glided into bankruptcy with assurances that they were on the glidepath to making a profit.
Exactly. Selling things you already own to lease them back is merely a financial trick. That is more akin to taking out a second mortgage, and is very different from actually developing a healthy lease/renatl market where companies don't have to sign 30 year contracts for the lease. The British have managed to do that since the TOC's franchises are for just 4 to 7 years. The ROSCOE's actually purchase the equipment based on say a 7 year commitment from a TOC, and then have typically been able to lease the equipment to either the same or a different operator for another franchise period and so on. This means there is a general rental market where prices can be set to some extent based on market forces. To run such a system it requires a strong regulator. I don't think the nincompoops in Washington DC appear to be capable of either understanding that or implementing that. So it may just remain a dream.

I don;t think the nincompoops in Washington DC appear to be capable of either understanding that or implementing that.
WHAT!!! How DARE you call them idiots nincompoops!! How dare you!! *gasp, choking* Such a compahtant, edukated bunch of lejistachures who have our very best intentions!! *AHH, my heart, i'll sue, i'll sue,*

:-D

Exactly. Selling things you already own to lease them back is merely a financial trick. That is more akin to taking out a second mortgage, and is very different from actually developing a healthy lease/renatl market where companies don't have to sign 30 year contracts for the lease.
Not a good comparison. Selling what you own and leasing back does have some advantages. It gives you cash now to keep going hopefully until revenue comes in to cover the lease costs plus the normal expenditures. For a homeowner, it would be more akin to selling the home then leasing it because you want to continue living there but need the cash to tide you over until you find another job or say, to invest in a business. It would be useful if you already maxed out your credit and don't qualify for a mortgage.

A lot of businesses do leasebacks on their buildings. Some because they are shrewd as they can use the cash to earn more than what they are paying; others out of desperation. Amtrak did it for their equipment out of desperation.

I will say that I do get the squeeze Amtrak is in. I recognize that, short of either through cars from the Cap to one of the Silvers or a re-established Silver Palm, there's not much new on offer for the LD services. However, with that said I also look at existing services that could be built up (i.e. more cars on the Silvers or on the EB and CZ to Minneapolis and Denver respectively). I know we're years away from adding completely new services on any LD routes, but there are places to look for more marginal improvements (and improvements that might help the performance of those routes to boot). The main reason I complain about the Superliner situation is that I know Amtrak is really getting up against a wall on LD sleepers out West...and I'm also looking at some of the trends in cost recovery and fares (I do think I need to start tracking the major endpoint buckets on my own), and if current trends continue a bit longer...well, at some point you're going to reach a level where adding a new car at the cost of a few high-bucket fares going to the middle buckets becomes worthwhile.

Edit:

Let me go ahead and put this in concrete terms: Right now, the Empire Builder and the California Zephyr both drop cars in MSP and DEN, respectively. Rather than building up the whole train, I would focus on these particular operations (as well as the "Sparks Cars" proposal for the CZ): Add one or two cars at a time to the operation that you cut off, doing one-day turns with those cars (I think you might be able to support a second such car CHI-MSP, and it's possible you'll get to that point on CHI-DEN given time).

Here is the important thing: Once you reach a critical mass (which I think you can with the CHI-MSP service without a doubt), shift all short-distance bookings from 7/8 to 807/808 (or whatever your altered numbers are for the "cut train") and also arrange to drop a locomotive so you can start the shorter trains on-time come hell or high water (a sadly appropriate metaphor) so that instead of the bustitution from MSP-CHI, you just run a short train. It'll make the switching operation more of a mess, yes, but I think the ability to run reliable trains on the ends of your LD routes to/from Chicago will outweigh that in some regards. It won't hurt that you'd have the Builder's "main" cars running exclusively trans-MSP passengers out of the eastern end of the train, putting those seats exclusively in higher-revenue use.

The other beauty of this is that if you can tighten up the CR numbers on the eastern end of the Builder's operation, you get reliable train service on the CHI-MSP corridor (even if only once daily) without having to deal with the Governor of Wisconsin. You also get more reliable DEN-CHI services in the winter if you do this on the Zephyr.

Please note that I'm not talking about simply "throwing more cars onto trains"...I mentioned something similar for the Crescent, and I can definitely see an argument for doing something like this on the Silver Service in Orlando (the presence of the yards outside Miami notwithstanding) or on the Coast Starlight EMY-LAX as well if the Coast Daylight plan can't be brought about. Careful, efficient use of a relatively small amount of equipment can make a very real dent in things.

Edit 2:

To expand on the CZ situation, where I have a bit more hard information to work with, you have at least 50,000 people per year who board at CHI and detrain at or before Denver (14.6% of the FY09 ridership was CHI-DEN, CHI-OSC, or CHI-Omaha). You can add another 25,000 or so between Denver and either Glenwood Springs or Grand Junction...and Amtrak has explicitly stated that this section gets capped off in the winter, as does traffic between Reno and the San Francisco/Sacramento area. In both of the latter cases, simply adding a seasonal, short distance coach on would help things (and again, looking at the "Sparks cars" proposal, if the WB Zephyr is falling hopelessly behind, you could probably move an engine up on the EB Zephyr and allow the Sparks cars to run on-time down to CA).

Exactly. Selling things you already own to lease them back is merely a financial trick. That is more akin to taking out a second mortgage, and is very different from actually developing a healthy lease/renatl market where companies don't have to sign 30 year contracts for the lease.
Not a good comparison. Selling what you own and leasing back does have some advantages. It gives you cash now to keep going hopefully until revenue comes in to cover the lease costs plus the normal expenditures. For a homeowner, it would be more akin to selling the home then leasing it because you want to continue living there but need the cash to tide you over until you find another job or say, to invest in a business. It would be useful if you already maxed out your credit and don't qualify for a mortgage.

A lot of businesses do leasebacks on their buildings. Some because they are shrewd as they can use the cash to earn more than what they are paying; others out of desperation. Amtrak did it for their equipment out of desperation.
The purpose of both leasebacks and of secnd mortgage is to get current cash flow by monetizing the net current worth of capital asset. Strictly speaking you are correct that Amtrak did a sell and lease back. Amtrak did it out of desperation which to some extent was self inflicted because the bright guy leading it at the time essentially told a non-truth that he was going to run Amtrak self-sufficiently.

Here is the important thing: Once you reach a critical mass (which I think you can with the CHI-MSP service without a doubt), shift all short-distance bookings from 7/8 to 807/808 (or whatever your altered numbers are for the "cut train") and also arrange to drop a locomotive so you can start the shorter trains on-time come hell or high water (a sadly appropriate metaphor) so that instead of the bustitution from MSP-CHI, you just run a short train. It'll make the switching operation more of a mess, yes, but I think the ability to run reliable trains on the ends of your LD routes to/from Chicago will outweigh that in some regards. It won't hurt that you'd have the Builder's "main" cars running exclusively trans-MSP passengers out of the eastern end of the train, putting those seats exclusively in higher-revenue use.

The other beauty of this is that if you can tighten up the CR numbers on the eastern end of the Builder's operation, you get reliable train service on the CHI-MSP corridor (even if only once daily) without having to deal with the Governor of Wisconsin. You also get more reliable DEN-CHI services in the winter if you do this on the Zephyr.
The problem with this is that you won't have a crew available to operate the train. On the Builder, the crews operate St. Cloud-Winona, and Winona-Milwaukee/Chicago (engineer changes eastbound in MKE, conductors go through to CHI). If you are running a second train St. Paul to Chicago, with basically little to no notice, then you taxi a crew from St. Cloud to operate to Winona, and you burn up the crew that was overnighting in Winona to run east. Now you don't have a crew available to take the regular train once it does come through.

Unless, of course, you hire more crews, but that will absolutely kill any hope of improving the financial performance of the train.

There's also the issue that this new stub train would need food service of some sort. Now you'd have to have an LSA on standby, and a food-service car as part of the set out. All that costs money, which would not improve the cost recovery numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back