Traveling from Atlanta to New York

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I am thinking of taking the train from Atlanta to New York this summer. I am planning on purchasing a coach seat only. No roomette. My question is will I be uncomfortable in coach for such a long trip? Also I plan to bring my lap top, is there a place to plug in?

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Cutie,

You should have power outlets at your seat, on the wall under the window. Almost all, if not all, of the coaches has been retrofitted with outlets.

Personally, I would never want to go coach overnight, but that is just my preferences. Thousands of people do it every month on Amtrak and most never seem to have any complaints. You may wish to consider a pair of sweats to sleep in, and perhaps something to cover your eyes to block out the light. They do dim the lights at night, but for safety reasons they cannot be turned off totally. Some people also recommend ear plugs to help keep down any noise.

It also depends on your age. Nothing personal, but it may be easier if you're 20 than if you're 85!

I am 50, and traveled coach all the time. Last May, I did an overnight in coach on Wednesday - and I was tired all weekend!
ohmy.gif

It also depends on your age. Nothing personal, but it may be easier if you're 20 than if you're 85!

I am 50, and traveled coach all the time. Last May, I did an overnight in coach on Wednesday - and I was tired all weekend!
ohmy.gif
But were you tired on Thursday? :wacko: :giggle: :rolleyes:

On a less sublime note, I think the comfort level in coach depends as much on your size rather than age. I've seen 85-year-old people sleep soundly away; they were all five foot five or shorter. As someone who is six feet, two inches, I can barely tolerate the 2 hr. 45 min coach ride between LA and San Diego, even in the Superliner coaches used on the route!! :eek:

I have traveled overnight in coach many, many times. The first night on a two-night trip was always the worst and I didn't get more than a couple hours sleep. By the 2nd night, I'd be so tired I could have slept on a picket fence.

When I was regularly traveling between Chicago and Washington DC every couple of months, I got so accustomed to the trip that I had no trouble at all sleeping, even though it was a 1-night trip.

I'd suggest you take a light blanket with you. Amtrak will give you a small pillow.

I am not a "person of sice". And yes, I was tired on Thursday! (So much so that I passed up a short and cheap 2X point run!
ohmy.gif
) But I did sleep

1. Thursday night in a hotel bed
  2. Friday night in a Cardinal berth
    tongue.gif
  3. Saturday night in a hotel bed

And I was still tired all weekend!

Last edited by a moderator:

ohmy.gif
But were you tired on Thursday? :wacko: :giggle: :rolleyes:

On a less sublime note, I think the comfort level in coach depends as much on your size rather than age. I've seen 85-year-old people sleep soundly away; they were all five foot five or shorter. As someone who is six feet, two inches, I can barely tolerate the 2 hr. 45 min coach ride between LA and San Diego, even in the Superliner coaches used on the route!! :eek:
I think 85-year-olds can sleep anywhere at the drop of a hat. :giggle:

HAHA!!! Thanks for the photo! You and your seat mate look like ya'll are dreaming happy dreams!!!

ohmy.gif
If you snored, your fellow passengers were probably angry for a month.

Thanks to everybody who responded. You comments were informative and sometimes hilarious! :)

I am 39 years old and 5'3" with some extra weight. But i think i will try the trip to NYC on the train and if it is too uncomfortable i will probably fly back.

Thanks!! Good advice.

Cutie,

You should have power outlets at your seat, on the wall under the window. Almost all, if not all, of the coaches has been retrofitted with outlets.

Personally, I would never want to go coach overnight, but that is just my preferences. Thousands of people do it every month on Amtrak and most never seem to have any complaints. You may wish to consider a pair of sweats to sleep in, and perhaps something to cover your eyes to block out the light. They do dim the lights at night, but for safety reasons they cannot be turned off totally. Some people also recommend ear plugs to help keep down any noise.

HAHA!!! Thanks for the photo! You and your seat mate look like ya'll are dreaming happy dreams!!!
Full disclosure: it's not me. The couple were only going from ALB to BUF. My wife and I were heading to CHI and had a roomette. We all had just completed a bicycle ride from BUF to ALB on the Erie Canal; so that might explain the happy dreams.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back