Amtrak November Schedule Change

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NativeSon5859

Conductor
I'm pretty anxious (as I'm sure everyone else is) to get a look at the November schedule change. Any word on when they will be made public?

Happy railroading.

Usually the new schedules are posted less than a week before the change, so after October 26 or so. If you want times between two particular stations you can always use the online reservation system for up to date schedules.

As Amfleet mentioned, Amtrak's online reservation system seems to be updated, although there are still a couple of quirks (such as both the old and the new timeslots appearing for some trains). As I always do, I'm currently scanning the changes and will provide a synopsis when ready.

Superliner Diner said:
As I always do, I'm currently scanning the changes and will provide a synopsis when ready.
You answered my question before I could ask it. Looking forward to it! B)

battalion51 said:
I did post the new Silver Service schedule in this topic.
I have a feeling Nativeson5859 may be interested in the new system wide timetable, not just Silver Service. And BTW there have been a few minor changes to the schedule since you posted it, though only differing in a few minutes or so on the new actual schedule. I would imagine the new national timetable will be available in a couple of weeks. .......OBS EMPL

Couple minutes, no biggie, couple hours, biggie. I think they'll see a ridership dropoff and go back to something closer to what they have now.

battalion51 said:
Couple minutes, no biggie, couple hours, biggie. I think they'll see a ridership dropoff and go back to something closer to what they have now.
If you wanna talk on that line regarding the major change of the Silver Service trains; that is a totally different issue. But I think "nativeson" may be or have been more interested in the new National Timetable being there are considerable changes nationwide this time. You only posted the proposed "Silver Service" timetable. And there are some slight changes within minutes in that new schedule since you posted it (and as you say "no big deal")! One thing to keep in mind, however, is whether CSX has "actually" approved the proposed new schedule. Technically CSX has a hand in the decision when the train(s) will run, too!

Now in the respect regarding the schedule comparision (old and new) as well as the changes to which are near, in my opinion it is not a good deal other than the direct ORL-TPA service on the A-line (that is good at least). This change in combination with the loss of the "Palmetto," has/or will cause some problems IMHO. I feel an evening departure should be available for the passengers leaving out of NYC and still would be nice out of MIA (I was mad after they changed the Palmetto to leaving at 15:00 instead of 17:00); now that will be history after Nov 1. Hopefully adjustments will be made primarily up North in some of the schedules so passengers will be able to connect to and from the "Silver" trains. Service on the S-line between DDE-WDO is gone (other than a stupid bus) after Nov 1, and personally that just sucks IMO! And lastly a lot of OBS, T&E, mechanical crews are forced to look at their options being many are fixin' to be displaced due to the loss of their jobs! And that really sucks for them! I am not really in any danger other than a bump to another position. But we on the railroad are a family as a whole, and we have some concerns for each other during hardships. I am sure you are aware of that as much as I see you on the rails, my friend.

A rideship dropoff?..... Yeah, possible if not likely at first. Going back to something closer to what they have now?...... maybe an adjustment to the "Meteor's" schedule, but I highly doubt it anytime soon. But in regard to the coming changes, I am positive in the "grand scheme" of things that actual "rail" service on the S-line IS history, in other words never to return! I am sure THAT makes CSX very happy! So we'll see what actually happens. You may be on the money (as this is the "biggie" as you say), but I have a feeling the ridership dropoff (if any) will be short lived with that "Star" connecting MIA-TPA-ORL-JAX-CLB-RGH-RVR- with the rest of the Northeast all with one train! Especially the JAX-ORL-TPA-MIA portion all connected.

Amtrak OBS Employee said:
One thing to keep in mind, however, is whether CSX has "actually" approved the proposed new schedule. Technically CSX has a hand in the decision when the train(s) will run, too!

But in regard to the coming changes, I am positive in the "grand scheme" of things that actual "rail" service on the S-line IS history, in other words never to return! I am sure THAT makes CSX very happy!
I suspect that CSX was so happy to be able to drop Amtrak from the S-line, that they approved the new Meteor schedule as part of the deal in the same handshake.

Isn't the new Meteor schedule (within Florida, and up through Savannah, I guess..) pretty close to the old (present) Star? So within Florida it is really the Star that would have CSX shifting things, not the Meteor. North of Savannah it's a different ball game since they have differing routes, and as pax I would certainly not be a happy camper for, say, CHS-WPK on Meteor's new sched, with a 3:29AM CHS Dep. Midnight is a bit late to arrive there, too. We took 98/97 WPK-CHS-WPK last year and the times were reasonable. I don't think we'd be interested in that trip with the new schedule.

One other question - isn't max crew "on" time 12 hours? The draft 92 schedule that was posted had crew stops at Lakeland and Hamlet, 6:10 p.m. and 6:27 a.m. How's that gonna work if indeed it's a 12 hour max? Currently isn't MIA-JAX a one-crew leg with change at JAX? That's about a 9 hour leg, I think, for current Star and Meteor crews, without the new Tampa dog-leg that Star will be doing. We're really looking forward to trying out the new WPK-TPA trip.

There will still be a JAX crew change for the Star. You will have MIA-TPA-LAK, LAK-JAX, JAX-HAM, HAM-RGH, RGH-WAS, and WAS-NYP crews. There will be an additional Engineer change at RVR.

Back