P32AC-DM 703

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

P40Power

OBS Chief
I have noticed that 703 has been at Beech Grove since April (thanks to Geoofs site) but I dont see anything explaining why. Im guessing it was damaged in some kind of large mechanical failure, or possibly a minor derailment or something along those lines.

Its just suprising that with such a relitively small pool of these type units that one would be sitting in Beech Grove for that long. Anyone got info on it?

BTW there are a total of 207 exactly P40s/P42s active (not long term damaged or in storage) of my last counting. I think I added 154 to the list of damaged ones after seeing the extent of damage it suffered a few weeks ago on the front of 48. Add to that the 20 Dash-8s you have an intercity fleet of 227 locomotives, which is quite a large fleet for a realively small intercity system. Especially so when you look at the numerous Corridors out west and the Empire corridor out east that use specialty locos for the most part.

At least with the intercity pool there is a nice sized buffer in the fleet so a few can get wrecked without crippleing the entire system, unlike the passenger car fleet which is always teetering on the edge of collapse it seems.

Actually, the system is currently in a power shortage. There aren't enough engines to keep all the trains moving throughout the system. With the cuts of Mail & Express, it will solve the power shortage.

With the neumber of trains Amtrak runs per day, in addition to layovers, PM, reserve power, the system is currently short of power.

battalion51 said:
With the neumber of trains Amtrak runs per day, in addition to layovers, PM, reserve power, the system is currently short of power.
This does seem improbable, in the face of the following facts.

One, Amtrak as it got out of the Express Trak business has steadily cut back on the number of ponys on each train. Trains that used to run with two, now run with one. Trains that used to run with three motors have now been scaled back to two and so on.

Two, the number of daily trains that Amtrak runs has gone down in the last few years. Not up.

Third, Amtrak just mothballed nearly half of the P40 fleet. I'll be the first to admit that many of Amtrak's decisions aren't logical. However to retire locomotives in their prime, while having a power shortage makes absolutely no sense.

I am aware that things are still tight with electric motors, but if indeed there is a shortage of diesel's, then something must be wrong. Either they aren't getting out of PM on a timely basis, or the engines are litterally blowing up at the rate of at least one per month, or someone simply isn't doing something right.

Either way, if indeed there is a shortage, then it sounds like Amtrak needs to reactivate those P40's put out to pasture.

I think that when they mothballed the P-40's, they did a couple too many. Obviously some motors have been lost due to accidents, thus stretching the fleet thinner. The complete exit in the Mail business should fix that problem. Along with the cuts to the Palmetto and Three Rivers that'll free up some more motors. Switchers will also be put back into the system since places like JAX and Denver won't need to be moving around boxcars and RoadRailers.

Once the mail and express is cut fully next week trains like the Three Rivers and Southwest Cheif won't need as many units as they have now. For instance, the Three Rivers with just 6 passengers cars can make it between PHL and CHI with only one unit instead of the current two. Like Alan was saying this affect will continue systemwide over the next few weeks. Also, the goal of sprucing up the Keystone corridor is so once again electric locomotives can be used between PHL and HAR.

Amfleet said:
Once the mail and express is cut fully next week trains like the Three Rivers and Southwest Cheif won't need as many units as they have now. For instance, the Three Rivers with just 6 passengers cars can make it between PHL and CHI with only one unit instead of the current two. Like Alan was saying this affect will continue systemwide over the next few weeks. Also, the goal of sprucing up the Keystone corridor is so once again electric locomotives can be used between PHL and HAR.
Don't forget Amfleet, that there won't be a 3R's after November, unless Amtrak makes a sudden reversal. There will only be a Pennsylvanian, which for six months will serve Chicago, after which it will return to its current run, NY to Pitt.

Amfleet-

I've been watching the Southwest Chief for about a year and a half now, and last summer it had 4 locomotives on a regular basis. It went as high as 5 a couple of times. As the express business winds down it has gone down to just 3 units. Last night it still had three units even though it only had two box cars on the back. I doubt it will make it down to being a 2 unit train because I think it still takes three units to make it up Cajon and Raton pass. Anyway, it takes 5 sets of power to operate the Chief, so there's 5 locomotives that have been freed up in the last few months.

-Firebert

Back