Dual Power on 66/67

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Acela150

Super Buff
Last night spent the night at my Girlfriends apartment in the city which has a great view of the northern end of 30th Street. :D 66 came out right on time. :) A toaster was leading! :cool: At first I thought it was a late 50 as it had a viewliner on the front but it was in front of the baggage car. So it looks as if the Dual Power with the P42 and AEM-7 is no longer running on 66/67. I did hear through some rail newsletter that the Dual Power would be ending soon. So it looks as if it's time has come. :eek:

Steve

Ok, I am going to show my extreme ignorance......

What does "A toaster was leading!" mean to the unwashed masses like myself?

:rolleyes:
One of Amtrak's common electric locomotives, the AEM-7, was pulling the train. The AEM-7 is affectionately known as a "toaster" due to its boxy appearance. (I know this and I've never been on the NEC. :D )

Ok so to clarify. The 66/67 used to run with a combination of diesel and electric locomotives. (presumably to save time when swapping power in WAS?) Now they are running only electric (I assume North of WAS and there is the normal swap to Diesel South of WAS?)

Then the next obvious question. There was a viewliner on the consist. It was between the baggage car and the locomotive so not in revenue service and likely removed with the engine in WAS?

IIRC others have advised 66/67 used to be called the "night owl" and ran with sleepers at one point in history

Just making sure I have it right. Again understand a little bit of a neophite here. Ask me about commercial aviation and I can cite facts and statistics rote. Trains are a new variant for me.

Just as a bit of a side note, I read that sometimes they wouldn't pull the AEM-7 off at WAS southbound and so people along the diesel-only WAS-NPN line would get to see the AEM-7 :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok so to clarify. The 66/67 used to run with a combination of diesel and electric locomotives. (presumably to save time when swapping power in WAS?) Now they are running only electric (I assume North of WAS and there is the normal swap to Diesel South of WAS?)

Then the next obvious question. There was a viewliner on the consist. It was between the baggage car and the locomotive so not in revenue service and likely removed with the engine in WAS?

IIRC others have advised 66/67 used to be called the "night owl" and ran with sleepers at one point in history

Just making sure I have it right. Again understand a little bit of a neophite here. Ask me about commercial aviation and I can cite facts and statistics rote. Trains are a new variant for me.
I am not sure if it has been called the Night Owl but it has definatley been called the Twilight Shoreliner and reaching into preAmtrak history has been called the Federal.

Yes, definatley there have been sleeping cars in its past, the further back you go, the more cars.

Under the preAmtrak name Federal the most noteworthy thing it ever did was lose control and slam into Washington Union Station. The station was full of people in town for President Eisenhower's inauguration in the early 50s.

Various trains around the country have been called names like Owl and Night Owl through the years, esp. preAmtrak.

Ok so to clarify. The 66/67 used to run with a combination of diesel and electric locomotives. (presumably to save time when swapping power in WAS?) Now they are running only electric (I assume North of WAS and there is the normal swap to Diesel South of WAS?) Yes and No. They Ran Diesel and Electric due to overnight caternary work on Metro North and the Shore Line.

Then the next obvious question. There was a viewliner on the consist. It was between the baggage car and the locomotive so not in revenue service and likely removed with the engine in WAS? Correct.

IIRC others have advised 66/67 used to be called the "night owl" and ran with sleepers at one point in history Also, Correct.

I am not sure if it has been called the Night Owl but it has definatley been called the Twilight Shoreliner and reaching into preAmtrak history has been called the Federal.

Yes, definatley there have been sleeping cars in its past, the further back you go, the more cars.

Under the preAmtrak name Federal the most noteworthy thing it ever did was lose control and slam into Washington Union Station. The station was full of people in town for President Eisenhower's inauguration in the early 50s.

Various trains around the country have been called names like Owl and Night Owl through the years, esp. preAmtrak.
Bill, it has been called the Night Owl. Back in the early to mid 2000's IIRC. Just a guess though. But I'm 90% sure it has. :blink:

Generally, in the 1960s, the Federal was a WAS - BOS overnighter while the Night Owl was NYP-BOS also.

Then there was the Edison which carried the WAS - NYP thru coaches and sleepers of the SOU RFP ACL SAL secondary day trains often to the 18 car maximum.

Just as a bit of a side note, I read that sometimes they wouldn't pull the AEM-7 off at WAS southbound and so people along the diesel-only WAS-NPN line would get to see the AEM-7 :p
I can't imagine any reason why that would be the case.

Bill, it has been called the Night Owl. Back in the early to mid 2000's IIRC. Just a guess though. But I'm 90% sure it has. :blink:
The Night Owl name goes back to before the Twilight Shoreliner name (which is what the train was called from some time in the 1990s until around 2003 or 2004, when it briefly became the Federal, before becoming just another Regional).

The Night Owl name goes back to before the Twilight Shoreliner name (which is what the train was called from some time in the 1990s until around 2003 or 2004, when it briefly became the Federal, before becoming just another Regional).
I knew I was leaving out some names. Was it not also called something like the Executive for awhile?

Time. If the diesel's already on there and the train is running late, why waste the time cutting a car out?

I knew I was leaving out some names. Was it not also called something like the Executive for awhile?
Bill,

You're likely recalling the Executive Sleeper name, which was the sleeping car service provided aboard 66/67 when it carried a sleeper that was uncoupled in NYP, hooked to station power, and allowed sleeper passengers to wake up in NYC long after the train departed.

Rafi

Time. If the diesel's already on there and the train is running late, why waste the time cutting a car out?
Because Amtrak is a tad short of the electrics, it is highly unlikely that they will send an AEM-7 for a random tour of the Virginias when it can be used on another train during the day.

I would assume that if they did it, they did it on days when they could handle one less AEM-7 in the pool.
Trust me Amtrak would not do that just to keep 67 on time :) There is severe shortage of serviceable electric power at this time. They will happily take a 10-15 min delay for 66 to keep an extra AEM-7 available for use. I would really be quite surprised if they actually did it.

I'm not saying that it's a regular occurrence, just trying to fill in on Trogdor's imagination a little bit. It's certainly not inconceivable and I know someone that's seen it personally, so it's happened at least once.

Ok so to clarify. The 66/67 used to run with a combination of diesel and electric locomotives. (presumably to save time when swapping power in WAS?) Now they are running only electric (I assume North of WAS and there is the normal swap to Diesel South of WAS?) Yes and No. They Ran Diesel and Electric due to overnight caternary work on Metro North and the Shore Line.

Then the next obvious question. There was a viewliner on the consist. It was between the baggage car and the locomotive so not in revenue service and likely removed with the engine in WAS? Correct.

IIRC others have advised 66/67 used to be called the "night owl" and ran with sleepers at one point in history Also, Correct.

If you saw a Viewliner sleeper on train #66 in Philly, then there is no way that sleeper is going to be cut off in Washington; as train #66 will never get to Washington since it's going east to Boston.

If you saw a Viewliner sleeper on train #66 in Philly, then there is no way that sleeper is going to be cut off in Washington; as train #66 will never get to Washington since it's going east to Boston.
Thanks for clarifying Alan. Now that I look at it, What I should have put was. Correct but Incorrect. It wasn't in revenue service but most likely deadheading to Boston or New York.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back