Capitol with Through Cars vs. Extended Pennsylvanian

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
All those mail cars did have one small side benefit for railfans, though: the view of your own train on Horseshoe Curve is much more interesting when there are a good 10-20 mail cars between you and the engines. Here's a photo I took heading eastbound on the Three Rivers in March 2002:

The downside was far, far worse, though: this particular train was a couple hours late departing Chicago because we were waiting for some freight to arrive and get loaded. Inexcusable.

Isn't the Capitol LTD all Superliner?

So how can the attaching of the Pennsylvanian cars work? since they are all single level coaches this would require a rransition car to connect both trainsets in Pittsburg

Amtrak cannot use superliner coaches under the catenary which extends from Harrisburg eastward, so possibly a resurrected service over the ex B&O Akron line would work.

So how can the attaching of the Pennsylvanian cars work? since they are all single level coaches this would require a rransition car to connect both trainsets in Pittsburg

Amtrak cannot use superliner coaches under the catenary which extends from Harrisburg eastward, so possibly a resurrected service over the ex B&O Akron line would work.
To add to what Ryan said, Superliners will fit under the catenary between Harrisburg and Philly, I believe (as I'm sure you're aware, Superliners run every day under the DC Union Station catenary). The only constraints, really, are bridge clearance restrictions on that stretch, which are fine for Superliners. This Saturday at the Wilmington Station rededication there may be a Superliner or two on display, in fact--under catenary.

Rafi

Read the FY10 Performance Improvement Plan, Capitol Limited - PRIIA Section 210 to learn the gory details of the proposal. The Cap already has a Trans-Dorm car fortunately.

The reason that I don't think any passenger train will ever run on Akron Line again is trackage charges and CSX's reluctance to allow any passenger service on that line.

As for Superliners, Amtrak can run them into certain select tracks at Philadelphia 30th St. But dragging them through New Jersey into Penn Station New York faces several low clearance issues.

Last edited by a moderator:

To add to what Ryan said, Superliners will fit under the catenary between Harrisburg and Philly, I believe (as I'm sure you're aware, Superliners run every day under the DC Union Station catenary). The only constraints, really, are bridge clearance restrictions on that stretch, which are fine for Superliners. This Saturday at the Wilmington Station rededication there may be a Superliner or two on display, in fact--under catenary.

Rafi
If you hear of anything interesting running up the corridor, lemme know! I'd love to get some shots of something interesting rolling through Odenton.

Reduce the Pennsylvanian

Leave the run up and down the NEC to the Regional, the Acela, and the Keystone, that's what they do best.

People heading west can board at PHL. If they could tighten up the schedule 45 minutes, they could get twice daily service out of the same equipment.

I would gladly change trains at PHL if it meant additional service across the state.

Reduce the Pennsylvanian

Leave the run up and down the NEC to the Regional, the Acela, and the Keystone, that's what they do best.

People heading west can board at PHL. If they could tighten up the schedule 45 minutes, they could get twice daily service out of the same equipment.

I would gladly change trains at PHL if it meant additional service across the state.
Very low chance of this happening. The problem again is trsckage fees and operating cost even if equipment could be found. The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania has to step upto the plate with funding. I also doubt that they would venture to run twice a day service with just two consists under the current circumstances, specially if Capitol OTP creates a schedule risk due to holding for connection.

Only the eastbound Capitol has any semblance of a connection to the Penny. Westbound, you're holding in Pittsburgh station for at least 4 hours.

Only the eastbound Capitol has any semblance of a connection to the Penny. Westbound, you're holding in Pittsburgh station for at least 4 hours.
Westbound is not an issue as far as schedule risk for the Pennsylvanian is concerned. That would be a schedule risk issue for the Cap if that.

* * * * * * * * * * * * 14 Month Old Topic * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

On trips to Texas and the west coast I have had to drive 2 ½ hours from Columbus, Ohio to board the Capital Limited in Cleveland, Ohio at 3:00 AM. The Pennsylvanian arrives in Pittsburgh around 8:00 PM but passengers going on to Chicago have nearly a 4 hour layover before boarding the Capital Limited at 12:00 midnight in Pittsburgh, PA. By extending the Pennsylvanian through Central Ohio it would pick up additional riders with stops in Columbus, Dayton (Cincinnati) and Lima before joining the northern route and arriving in Chicago several hours ahead of the Capital Limited. All Aboard Ohio an advocacy group for rail travel in Ohio has presented a proposal to Amtrak for extending the Pennsylvanian to Chicago through Central Ohio.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back