Philadelphia Lounge

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

fin d

We will be traveling in September from Philadelphia to Orlando, our grandchildren 9 & 7 will be accompaning us. We have 2 roomettes Will they allow the children in the lounge before boarding?

Absolutely!

They just don't allow unaccompanied children into the lounge. But as long as at least one of you is with the kids at all times, you'll be fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
At the CA in PHL you will have direct access to the platforms via elevator. The CA attendant announces the train and the elevator number then meet you at the elevator and activate the elevator with a key. Enjoy your trip!

We will be traveling in September from Philadelphia to Orlando, our grandchildren 9 & 7 will be accompaning us. We have 2 roomettes Will they allow the children in the lounge before boarding?
I have done the Philly to Orlando trip with my grandkid too, many times.

In the mornings they have those buns, and in the afternoon, they have bags of chips, as the snack. Plus they have juice.

My grandkid likes to occupy the time by playing a game from his favorite website, on the free-use PC's.

Before you head for the lounge, be sure to take the kids (and yourselves) for a walk around the station. Philadelphia 30th Street Station is one of the country's best train stations, and it would be a shame to waste all your time there sitting in the Acela lounge.

The main concourse is a gem, with the marble floor and the soaring ceiling and the huge chandeliers. The "Angel of Mercy" statue in the east side of the main concourse was sculpted in 1950 and honors the men and women of the Pennsylvania Railroad who gave their lives in World War II. It is a remarkably moving piece of work. The Solari departure board with its flipping letters and clicking noise is a delight for all ages. The food court area is the best I've ever seen anywhere. If you want a bite to eat, you'll do better there than in the lounge.

You can head up to the SEPTA area and let the kids watch some trains come and go. I've never known a kid who didn't like watching trains. And, head outside for a moment and look down JFK Boulevard at Center City and the new Comcast Center - the tallest building in Philadelphia and the 15th tallest in the country.

Kids love the hustle-bustle of a big train station, and 30th Street meets that criteria and then some. The lounge is nice (and the bathrooms in the lounge are very nice), but please do not miss the chance to enjoy the station itself.

Before you head for the lounge, be sure to take the kids (and yourselves) for a walk around the station. Philadelphia 30th Street Station is one of the country's best train stations, and it would be a shame to waste all your time there sitting in the Acela lounge.
I agree wholeheartedly. PHL 30th Street is a gem of a station. When I was serving in Philadelphia I would often go to the station just to walk around, grab a bite to eat, buy a newspaper, and people watch in the main waiting room. My granddaughter (who is 6) was awestruck by the massive nature of the building and all the activity. We only made it up to the lounge about 30 minutes before train time.

I agree wholeheartedly. PHL 30th Street is a gem of a station. When I was serving in Philadelphia I would often go to the station just to walk around, grab a bite to eat, buy a newspaper, and people watch in the main waiting room. My granddaughter (who is 6) was awestruck by the massive nature of the building and all the activity. We only made it up to the lounge about 30 minutes before train time.
Why buy a paper when you can get a paper in CA for free!

But there me I'm so used to PHL that I just go directly to the lounge. I try to get there about an hour before train time. :) Gives me enough time to relax and enjoy the accommodations. :)

Y'all are making me wish I had a reason to to to PHL. Restoration of the Broadway Limited would a good enough one.

Y'all are making me wish I had a reason to to to PHL. Restoration of the Broadway Limited would a good enough one.
You still have the Cardinal and the Cap to WAS and connect to a Regional or Acela Express. Or The LSL to NY or BOS then to PHL on a Regional or Acela. If you goto BOS on the LSL you would have to stay overnight unless you want to connect with 67. But keep in mind that Acela goes 150 MPH only in MA and RI. So that's a reason to stay overnight. :D There are plenty of ways to get to PHL.

Acela goes 150 MPH only in MA and RI. So that's a reason to stay overnight. :D
Plus you get to see Chez Traveler East!
mosking.gif
THAT by itself is worth the trip!
tongue.gif

But there me I'm so used to PHL that I just go directly to the lounge. I try to get there about an hour before train time. :) Gives me enough time to relax and enjoy the accommodations. :)
I would just go and hang around the station even if I didn't have a train to catch. So I didn't always have access to the lounge.

I would just go and hang around the station even if I didn't have a train to catch. So I didn't always have access to the lounge.
I do that all the time! I go there for some lunch when I go visit my Fiancee at 22nd and the Parkway. Sit on the benches in the concourse listen to boarding announcements, the solari board clicking away! It's my version of a perfect lunch! :D

I do that all the time! I go there for some lunch when I go visit my Fiancee at 22nd and the Parkway. Sit on the benches in the concourse listen to boarding announcements, the solari board clicking away! It's my version of a perfect lunch! :D
I would go down and have dinner from the food court (never did the McDonald's). There are lots of selections and a generally nice atmosphere. I would on rare occasions be approached by a beggar and I never minded treating them to a meal if that's what they really wanted. The people watching is a great experience and, even though I'm 90 miles away now, this thread has inspired me to make a field trip in the near future.

I would go down and have dinner from the food court (never did the McDonald's). There are lots of selections and a generally nice atmosphere. I would on rare occasions be approached by a beggar and I never minded treating them to a meal if that's what they really wanted. The people watching is a great experience and, even though I'm 90 miles away now, this thread has inspired me to make a field trip in the near future.
If I have a few extra bucks I'll buy a beggar a meal. They always love that! I don't do the Mickey D's that often. Maybe once every 6 months at that.

But I agree that the people watching is truly a great experience!

If I'm on the Pennsylvanian in Biz class and connecting to a NER in Philly, does that get me access to the lounge?

Ok, thanks... at the rate we're late today, I'd only have enough time to peek my head in and then leave.

You still have the Cardinal and the Cap to WAS and connect to a Regional or Acela Express. Or The LSL to NY or BOS then to PHL on a Regional or Acela. If you goto BOS on the LSL you would have to stay overnight unless you want to connect with 67. But keep in mind that Acela goes 150 MPH only in MA and RI. So that's a reason to stay overnight. :D There are plenty of ways to get to PHL.

And the Crescent stops there too - which we'll be boarding this Friday. Yay!

And the Crescent stops there too - which we'll be boarding this Friday. Yay!
If you have a roomette or bedroom be sure to get to PHL early to use CA! See posts on page one in the topic about boarding at PHL CA.

Even if the LSL is on time, it arrives to late to connect to #67!
sad.gif

Even if the LSL is on time, it arrives to late to connect to #67!
sad.gif
I was thinking back to like 2002. When I was on the LSL to BOS. Someone in the compartment next to us was connecting to 67 at BOS. We were running just about 2 hours behind and she ended up getting a cab at SPG to I believe NLC. Where she caught 67. Funny thing was when we got to BOS 67 was still there! She woulda made it! But at least Amtrak stayed true to there word on Guaranteed Connections! :)

That was back in the "old days" when the LSL left at something like 5 or 6 PM. Now it departs CHI ~10 PM!

I remember once taking the LSL in those days to connect to #67. We finally puled into BOS about 3 AM!
ohmy.gif
#67 had left hours prior. However, I kept in touch with my family by cell phone. When they realized I would not make #67, they drove up to BOS (about 90 miles) to get me!
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back