Another Fatality

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That explains the 5 hour delay into Reno being shown at amtrakstatus. I've been keeping an eye on the 5 & 6 between EMY and RNO since I'll be taking that trip soon. A delay like this on the date of my return would force me to change to the thruway bus to SAC to get back home since waiting for a 5 that late would put me into EMY well past the last CC back to SJC.

That explains the 5 hour delay into Reno being shown at amtrakstatus. I've been keeping an eye on the 5 & 6 between EMY and RNO since I'll be taking that trip soon. A delay like this on the date of my return would force me to change to the thruway bus to SAC to get back home since waiting for a 5 that late would put me into EMY well past the last CC back to SJC.
Gee, that would really be a shame that you would be inconvenienced....because someone died....

Gee, that would really be a shame that you would be inconvenienced....because someone died....
Sorry... No sympathy for stupidity.

I was more pointing out that I need to be aware of all my options when sh!t happens (as it often does). Lately, it has been more due to some winter storms impacting travel over the Sierras.

But thanks for your concern. ;)

Sympathy for the deceased's friends and family, the engineer, conductor, and crew.

Unfortunately, the old Will Rogers quote is still true: "Common sense ain't common".

I do hope the passengers were able to avoid seeing the man's body after he ended up "right outside passenger windows." That could be a pretty traumatic experience. Sorry to hear about the death. I wish everyone would just assume that if the crossing arms are down they're not going to beat the train. I've seen cars creep around as well as bicyles--fortunately for my peace of mind they all made it.

It really is a shame to be inconvenienced by peoples stupidity. That they will never have the chance to inconvenience anyone ever again is the only plus point.

Cristobal, don't worry about all of the drama. Your statement was totally in line to note that if there is a 5 hour delay then you would have to change plans. When traveling, stuff happens.

Anytime somebody dies for whatever reason, it is tragic. I don't know the circumstances of the incident in Salt Lake City, but hopefully we can prevent this thread from becoming a series of remarks between people angered by the delay to the Zephyr, and those who are angered that there is not more compassion shown. There is some truth to both arguments.

Cristobal, don't worry about all of the drama. Your statement was totally in line to note that if there is a 5 hour delay then you would have to change plans. When traveling, stuff happens.

Anytime somebody dies for whatever reason, it is tragic. I don't know the circumstances of the incident in Salt Lake City, but hopefully we can prevent this thread from becoming a series of remarks between people angered by the delay to the Zephyr, and those who are angered that there is not more compassion shown. There is some truth to both arguments.
The man is suspected to have been under the influence of alcohol. He is believed to be a local and not attempting to board the train.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/705367928/Man-killed-after-darting-in-front-of-Amtrak-train-in-Salt-Lake.html

An update. Apparently he was deaf. I don't think there were bars or flashers in that area where it happened. It's right near where we used to live, there are RR tracks all over that area.

Even if there aren't flashers or lights in the area you've still got a P-42 with a pretty bright headlight and ditch lights to do the job.

My sympathy always has and always will go to the Engineers who have to deal with it. Some let it roll off their back no problem and are back on the motor the next trip, others take it harder. They're the victims in this in my mind, it happens through no fault of their own.

Even if there aren't flashers or lights in the area you've still got a P-42 with a pretty bright headlight and ditch lights to do the job.

My sympathy always has and always will go to the Engineers who have to deal with it. Some let it roll off their back no problem and are back on the motor the next trip, others take it harder. They're the victims in this in my mind, it happens through no fault of their own.
My sympathy as well. Also, like others, to the Conductors who have to see the "results" of such an accident.

And I'm sorry but being deaf is no excuse for not LOOKING before CROSSING tracks and only crossing at LEGAL crossings.

An update. Apparently he was deaf. I don't think there were bars or flashers in that area where it happened. It's right near where we used to live, there are RR tracks all over that area.
The 'deaf' part does want to pull on some heartstrings.

However...

WTH was he doing walking along and carrying 'groceries' at 2:30 AM?

Did he not notice the bright lights and ground vibrations from the oncoming train?

According to the initial report, the train had just left the SLC station and was only going 15~20mph (not the same as accidentally stepping in front of a 79mph Amtrak}.

Stupidity still rules. No sympathy for the 'victim'.

I do, however, sympathize for those directly involved with this 'incident' (family, friends, and train crew).

Once again they have the conductor operating the locomotive

noting that the conductor did not believe the man was going to cross the tracks
How could the conductor see the guy from the passenger cars :rolleyes:
The conductor has to get out and see what happened, so he sees quite a bit.
the article said the conductor saw the guy but didn't think he would cross the tracks.. the conductor could not see that part unless he happened to be in the locomotive for some reason.

The live-on-the-scene KSL television reporter is standing at a crossing with bars and flashers, claiming that is the crossing where the accident occurred....

Back