Amtrak Crescent Running Heritage Equipment-video

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pressed into service? What the heck are you talking about?

It's the same baggage car and single level dining car that are used all over the fleet everyday. The locomotive is a P42 that's been painted up in that paint scheme to celebrate Amtrak's 40th anniversary (and has been discussed extensively here).

Pressed into service? What the heck are you talking about?

It's the same baggage car and single level dining car that are used all over the fleet everyday. The locomotive is a P42 that's been painted up in that paint scheme to celebrate Amtrak's 40th anniversary (and has been discussed extensively here).
Look at the car behind the lounge. That looks like Heritage equipment to me.

Yeah, that's the diner. Same diner that Amtrak has been using forever. Yes, it's heritage equipment, but it isn't anything special.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you for real? It's the same diner that Amtrak uses on every single level LD route, and yes, they really are that old.

We've been trying to tell you that Amtrak is cash strapped over and over again when you suggest that it's simple for them to go out and buy more sleeping cars.

The Crescent, Cardinal, Silvers, Lake Shore Limited, Palmetto, Capitol Limited, NE Regionals #66/67 Carolinian, California Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Southwest Chief, Empire Builder, Coast Starlight, all use Heritage baggage cars with most (but not all) of the first trains in the list also using Heritage Diners. It's nothing new, it's nothing special. (and yes, I'm probably missing one or two routes)

Yeah, that's the diner. Same diner that Amtrak has been using forever.
Wow. They must be really cash strapped on this route. That diner looks like its right out of the 1950's. We will see first hand what it is like in June when we travel to NOL.
There aren't any single-level full diners except for Heritage (and ONE Viewliner diner prototype that isn't in service). They were all built in the 50's.

Today's headline: "Sun rises in the East"

at the current moment I wouldn't even call the Viewliner Diner "not in service" seeing as last I knew it was gutted, and awaiting a decision on which interior to build in it.

peter

I didn't realize that all the Viewliner trains ran with a Heritage diner and Amtrak is worrying about the baggage car to the extent that they've put them on the rear?

I've always wondered why that prototype Amtrak built Viewliner diner was never finished. The shell appears to be in like new shape. All that I can guess is that Amtrak was considering converting it to a sleeper and left it without an interior Anyone know its fate?

the diner was finished and used for a while. It was then mothballed for a while. When Amtrak began looking at getting Viewliner IIs they pulled out the mothballs and are re-building it to be the prototype View II Diner.

peter

I didn't realize that all the Viewliner trains ran with a Heritage diner and Amtrak is worrying about the baggage car to the extent that they've put them on the rear?
Informed speculation.

I've always wondered why that prototype Amtrak built Viewliner diner was never finished. The shell appears to be in like new shape. All that I can guess is that Amtrak was considering converting it to a sleeper and left it without an interior Anyone know its fate?
That's been discussed extensively as well. It was finished, and the layout was awful, so they took it off the road. It's currently at BG getting kitchen mockups installed and modified to come up with a better layout for a future delivery of Viewliner based Diners.

just 'cause here is what it looked like back when it was being used:

Mike02.jpg

I'd love to see some picture looking the other direction.

peter

That's been discussed extensively as well. It was finished, and the layout was awful, so they took it off the road. It's currently at BG getting kitchen mockups installed and modified to come up with a better layout for a future delivery of Viewliner based Diners.
It's not getting mockups, it's getting the real thing. It will return to service when the work is done.

Right, I left that part out. Wasn't there a post and some pictures here (I can't think of where I saw it) that they were using cardboard cutouts inside to simulate different layouts to see what worked?

There aren't any single-level full diners except for Heritage (and ONE Viewliner diner prototype that isn't in service). They were all built in the 50's.

Today's headline: "Sun rises in the East"
Some are older than that: several of the Heritage diners were built in the 1940s.

Mike02.jpg

peter
Yup. I've eaten in that Viewliner diner. I think it was on the Crescent quite a while back. The Heritage Diners have been nicely refurbished at least on the inside. I'm sure the reliability's not a strong point though considering their age.

Mike02.jpg

peter
I don't see what is so terrible about that layout. Looks OK to me. The only issue might be the kitchen as its not shown.

As for Heritage equipment in general, there is nothing wrong with it if it has been refurbished to proper FRA standards. It just looks a bit out pf place on a Viewliner consist. I've traveled on several tourist railroads like the Cape May Seashore Lines and those RDC cars run quiet, smooth and look as good as the day that Budd built them. The Smokey Mountain railway also has some nice restored equipment that ran on the ACL, SAL & SCL. It too runs great. The AutoTrain car carriers have millions of miles on them and they too run well.

Amtrak could use some new diners so that they blend with the rest of the train but what they now have will need to do until 2013. I believe that new Viewliner equipment will be put into service at that time.

peter
Yup. I've eaten in that Viewliner diner. I think it was on the Crescent quite a while back. The Heritage Diners have been nicely refurbished at least on the inside. I'm sure the reliability's not a strong point though considering their age.
It would have had to be quite a while back. I think that the car ran for about 2 or 3 years, before it was pulled from service. So that would have been the very early 90's.

As for the Heritage diners, only about half have received what's known as the Timoinsa rebuild kit, which gives you the pleasing pinks & greens and the starfield ceiling. The remainder of the cars have a much older interior.

Last edited by a moderator:

peter
I don't see what is so terrible about that layout. Looks OK to me. The only issue might be the kitchen as its not shown.
That was exactly one of the bigger problems, the kitchen. The layout of the kitchen was incredibly poor; the product of letting engineers design things without consulting those who actually use the kitchen. As such, you had crazy things like a waiter having to walk behind the cook making omelets on the grill, to get orange juice for the passenger.

They also had major issues with the AC and the trucks IIRC.

The AutoTrain car carriers have millions of miles on them and they too run well.
The car carriers on the Auto Train are essentially brand new; they came online in 2006 and as such are amongst the newest cars owned by Amtrak.

Informed speculation.
You mean uninformed speculation. The baggage car was moved to the rear because of the ride quality ("tail wagging") of the Viewliner when it is the last car in the consist. That is the only reason it moved back there. Meanwhile, a dozen or so Superliner trains run with the baggage car up front every day, not to mention that Amtrak's longest consist (except for the Auto Train), the Lake Shore Limited, continues to have a baggage car up front of the Boston section.

If the Heritage baggage cars can pull the Lake Shore and the Empire Builder without breaking, then I don't see why there should be any concern about any other train.

No back to our regularly scheduled program.

Informed speculation.
You mean uninformed speculation.
No, I meant exactly what I typed. GML said that he got it from someone inside Amtrak, so I would consider that to be more informed than random posters on an internet message board.

Except that GML's inside-Amtrak sources tend to be wrong more often than not.

Anyone inside Amtrak can check the internal daily advisories on the intranet and see the very exact, explicitly stated reason that the baggage cars were heading to the rear of certain (not all) trains, and the plan for returning them to the front of those same trains when the sleepers return to the front.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back