Unboard Upgrades

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amfleet

Engineer
While hoping that I might be able to purchase an onboard upgrade on my next trip (which is next week) I was wondering how you pay for it? I'm hoping that conductors are allowed to except debit or credit cards. What about a check? I would not always except a passengers to have that much cash to pay for the upgrade?

Conductors do accept the plastic stuff, credit wise, not sure about Debit cards though. They do take checks not sure on what the requirements are though for either, I'll ask on my next trip on Tuesday.

If the debit card is a Visa debit card they will. Or at least as of March they did.

battalion51 said:
Conductors do accept the plastic stuff, credit wise, not sure about Debit cards though. They do take checks not sure on what the requirements are though for either, I'll ask on my next trip on Tuesday.
Unless you live in California and are over 62 (see other posting on this subject) Amtrak will accept personal checks over $25 with a credit card and photo id.

Guest said:
If the debit card is a Visa debit card they will. Or at least as of March they did.
If your debit card has a Visa or Mastercard logo on the card, then it acts as a credit card in order for it to be accepted by the merchant. Then your bank immediately pays Visa or Mastercard and debits your bank account as a debit card. In other words, Visa or Mastercard plays middle man and takes care of the merchant (this enables regular debit or ATM cards to act somewhat as a credit card at the time of purchase), then they follow the procedures needed to complete the debit of your account. Usually if you have been issued a debit card with a Visa or Mastercard logo on it, then at the time of issue you had to be given a credit limit of some sort in case you don't have the money in your bank account for it to act as a debit card. Therefore, it can act as an actual credit card in that case (no money in your bank account), but depending on what's included in the contract of each individual's cardmember agreement, it could end up as a violation of that cardmember agreement. This isn't always the case, however, as all cardmember agreements are different in some way. This IMHO is why it is always a good idea to be somewhat familiar with your contract!

Anyway, from what I understand, I believe Amtrak only accepts cash, actual credit cards (and debit cards if logo is included), and checks with certain stipulations involved. And ID is usually required by the one who is purchasing the tickets, anyway.

I can't see how the conductor could accept a debit card, since he/she has no equipment to allow you to type in your pin number. They still use the old fashioned credit card imprinters. I don't think that they even take debit cards at the ticket counters in NYP.

Now if your bank card/debit card also acts as a credit card, then you are safe.

The conductor can also take travelers checks, should you wish to go and buy them from your bank.

AlanB said:
I can't see how the conductor could accept a debit card, since he/she has no equipment to allow you to type in your pin number. They still use the old fashioned credit card imprinters. I don't think that they even take debit cards at the ticket counters in NYP.

The conductor can also take travelers checks, should you wish to go and buy them from your bank.
Well as I previously stated, this is why many banks have contracts with Visa or Mastercard to have those worldwide known logos printed on the card! And usually, the card issuer (the bank or credit union) has to set the debit card up as a debit/credit card for it to work. Visa, Mastercard, and the others are technically not banks. Actually, it is best in my opinion to make any out of town, online, etc, purchase with a credit or a "logo backed" debit card. For my experiences, Visa is pretty good about resolving issues with a not so cooperative merchant!

Guest_slimGP30 said:
AlanB said:
I can't see how the conductor could accept a debit card, since he/she has no equipment to allow you to type in your pin number.  They still use the old fashioned credit card imprinters.  I don't think that they even take debit cards at the ticket counters in NYP.

Well as I previously stated, this is why many banks have contracts with Visa or Mastercard to have those worldwide known logos printed on the card! And usually, the card issuer (the bank or credit union) has to set the debit card up as a debit/credit card for it to work. Visa, Mastercard, and the others are technically not banks. Actually, it is best in my opinion to make any out of town, online, etc, purchase with a credit or a "logo backed" debit card. For my experiences, Visa is pretty good about resolving issues with a not so cooperative merchant!
I forgot to add........... If the card has a sixteen digit number on it, then it most likely will be accepted if it is a major card logo such as Visa or Mastercard, unless the merchant doesn't take cards period. And yes they are out there!

AlanB said:

My debit card can act as both. For instance if I went and filled up my tank with gas at a gas station I'm given the option of either debit or credit. I usually choose credit and thus I don't have to put in my pin. If I went to the grocery store I could do the same. Also my debit card does carry the VISA logo on the front.

Amfleet said:
AlanB said:
I can't see how the conductor could accept a debit card, since he/she has no equipment to allow you to type in your pin number.  They still use the old fashioned credit card imprinters.  I don't think that they even take debit cards at the ticket counters in NYP.

My debit card can act as both. For instance if I went and filled up my tank with gas at a gas station I'm given the option of either debit or credit. I usually choose credit and thus I don't have to put in my pin. If I went to the grocery store I could do the same. Also my debit card does carry the VISA logo on the front.
Mine is exactly as Amfleet's. A Visa Check card that is used as a debit/ATM/and credit card all in one. As long as your card has the Visa or M/C logo on it you can use it as a credit card for whatever amount you have in your account at the time.

Amfleet said:
AlanB said:

And in that case you are fine, Amfleet. Since you have one that acts like a credit card, the conductor can take that number.

However, if you didn't have that option then you would be in trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back