Happy Hour on the Silver Star

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ExtonFlyer

Train Attendant
Hey folks,

I'm planning an upcoming trip from Philadelphia-Tampa in March 2011 and have a question for you all. I will be traveling with two other adults on this trip and each of us will be getting our own roomette. We all are professionals and will be probably working most of the afternoon (PHL-PTB) but will probably break for happy hour before dinner as that will be the official start of our vacation. (Thanks to the wonders of VPN - we can depart PHL at 12:34 and not "clock out" until 6!!)

We will surely eat dinner in the diner - but I'm trying to figure out how we might be able to have a couple of cocktails before dinner together.

I fully understand that Amtrak's policy is that first class pax are only allowed to consume their own alcohol in the privacy of their roomette - however since we are three fairly large males (all above six foot and in the linebacker range in weight) - happy hour in one roomette would pose a bit of a logistical challenge :lol:

Anyway, do you think that if I poured a couple of cocktails (from my own personal stash) into some red paper cups - we could sit in the club car? Would slipping the sleeper attendant some green help here? I refuse to pay $$ for our drinks (from the club car) over and above the accommodation price we will be paying for the sleeper cars.

The only other option I can think of would be for one of us to upgrade and get a bedroom - split the cost evenly - and draw straws to see who is the lucky one to get it. That would add a lot of extra cost to our trip though - so only want to do that as a last resort.

Anyone have experience traveling in a group and trying to have some cocktails together? Appreciate your insights!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey folks,

I'm planning an upcoming trip from Philadelphia-Tampa in March 2011 and have a question for you all. I will be traveling with two other adults on this trip and each of us will be getting our own roomette. We all are professionals and will be probably working most of the afternoon (PHL-PTB) but will probably break for happy hour before dinner as that will be the official start of our vacation. (Thanks to the wonders of VPN - we can depart PHL at 12:34 and not "clock out" until 6!!)

We will surely eat dinner in the diner - but I'm trying to figure out how we might be able to have a couple of cocktails before dinner together.

I fully understand that Amtrak's policy is that first class pax are only allowed to consume their own alcohol in the privacy of their roomette - however since we are three fairly large males (all above six foot and in the linebacker range in weight) - happy hour in one roomette would pose a bit of a logistical challenge :lol:

Anyway, do you think that if I poured a couple of drinks into some red paper cups - we could sit in the club car? Would slipping the sleeper attendant some green help here? I refuse to pay $$ for our drinks (from the club car) over and above the accommodation price we will be paying for the sleeper cars.

The only other option I can think of would be for one of us to upgrade and get a bedroom - split the cost evenly - and draw straws to see who is the lucky one to get it. That would add a lot of extra cost to our trip though - so only want to do that as a last resort.

Anyone have experience traveling in a group and trying to have some cocktails together? Appreciate your insights!
When I rode the Cresent, I saw people openly drinking adult beverage in coach that they had purchased onboard.

Anyway, do you think that if I poured a couple of drinks into some red paper cups - we could sit in the club car? Would slipping the sleeper attendant some green help here? I refuse to pay $$ for our drinks (from the club car) over and above the accommodation price we will be paying for the sleeper cars.
From my experiences on the Silvers, there is a good chance you will not find a common place for all of you to sit, even without drinks, in the lounge car. The lounge car tends to be fully populated by coach passengers, who want the extra space/comfort, and "camp out" there for entire journey.

If you can get roomettes across the hall from each other, you can easily talk and socialize between them.

The SCA has little-to-no control over the lounge. So tipping him/her a few extra bucks is a really nice idea, but it will probably not help change anything.

On a recent Amtrak trip I gave a friend of the family a bottle of 21-year single malt Scotch as a gift. He graciously shared some of it with us in the lounge car before lunch with no problems or difficulties encountered. I don't know if the staff would have approved but since they're almost never around it's not something I tend to worry about. I wouldn't be conspicuous about it or imbibe excessively or get too rowdy but discreet enjoyment of alcoholic beverages is unlikely to result in any hassling. I hope you enjoy your trip and that you come back to tell us how it went.

Last edited by a moderator:
Where are your roomettes located? If you get 2 of the across the hall from each other you can go 2 in 1 and one in the other and it'll be very much like sitting together without having to worry about getting chased out of the lounge car (or worse) for drinking your own booze.

If 2 of you don't mind standing in the hall (of course allowing other thru if need be), there will be no problem. I did just this in October while traveling with 3 others!
wink.gif

on virtually every trip I take, I pour myself a tall glass of wine, in the Amtrak-provided "eco-cups" and have never once been asked or challenged.........

I truly think it's a matter of how you behave on-board, more than anything else.

Common sense prevails.

If 2 of you don't mind standing in the hall (of course allowing other thru if need be), there will be no problem. I did just this in October while traveling with 3 others!
wink.gif
But Dave, you draw a crowd no matter where you travel! btw, r u saying that you DIDN'T invite anyone up to your penthouse suite? SHAME!

From my experiences on the Silvers, there is a good chance you will not find a common place for all of you to sit, even without drinks, in the lounge car. The lounge car tends to be fully populated by coach passengers, who want the extra space/comfort, and "camp out" there for entire journey.

If you can get roomettes across the hall from each other, you can easily talk and socialize between them.

The SCA has little-to-no control over the lounge. So tipping him/her a few extra bucks is a really nice idea, but it will probably not help change anything.
Great tips - will keep in mind each. Wasn't aware that the lounge car was heavily utilized (only used it once or twice in the past for coffee in the AM) Thank you for the heads up.

PS: Since you are sleeper passengers, don't forget to make complimentary use of the Club Acela lounge in the Philly station. Its one of the best in the system.
Absolutely will. I was a SELECT Plus member of AGR in 2009 and used ClubAcela Philly often. I miss it and can't wait to get back!

On a recent Amtrak trip I gave a friend of the family a bottle of 21-year single malt Scotch as a gift. He graciously shared some of it with us in the lounge car before lunch with no problems or difficulties encountered. I don't know if the staff would have approved but since they're almost never around it's not something I tend to worry about. I wouldn't be conspicuous about it or imbibe excessively or get too rowdy but discreet enjoyment of alcoholic beverages is unlikely to result in any hassling.
Excellent. That's what I'm looking for. We won't be rowdy - or excessive in any way. Just want to enjoy a fine cocktail (hoping one of my traveling partners would bring along a 21-year single malt!) or two. Your post was very helpful, thank you.

I hope you enjoy your trip and that you come back to tell us how it went.
Promise to write a trip report and will mention how this works out!

Where are your roomettes located? If you get 2 of the across the hall from each other you can go 2 in 1 and one in the other and it'll be very much like sitting together without having to worry about getting chased out of the lounge car (or worse) for drinking your own booze.
Interesting....I never thought about "or worse". I figured the worst that could happen would be that they would ask me (us) to return to our roomettes. I could easily plead "first-timer" couldn't I? Like I said earlier - we will be respectful and won't be causing any ruckus. The only issue I could foresee is a coach pax seeing our "private stash" and perhaps saying something.

wink.gif
That's great to hear, thank you. I have ridden this route with one other person - and we accomplished what you describe with no issues. I wasn't sure how it would work with 3 people. Good to hear that it can work. We of course will be respectful to other pax as they pass and to the SCA as he/she does their job.

on virtually every trip I take, I pour myself a tall glass of wine, in the Amtrak-provided "eco-cups" and have never once been asked or challenged.........

I truly think it's a matter of how you behave on-board, more than anything else.

Common sense prevails.
Cheers (will stock up on some eco-cups) - my confidence is high now that we won't have any issues. Thanks to everyone for the input!

Interesting....I never thought about "or worse". I figured the worst that could happen would be that they would ask me (us) to return to our roomettes. I could easily plead "first-timer" couldn't I? Like I said earlier - we will be respectful and won't be causing any ruckus. The only issue I could foresee is a coach pax seeing our "private stash" and perhaps saying something.
I would think it highly unlikely, especially if you're well behaved about it and can plead first-timers. But you can't count out the remote possibility of some jackhole on a power trip. Still, I agree that you should go for it. :D

I would think it highly unlikely, especially if you're well behaved about it and can plead first-timers. But you can't count out the remote possibility of some jackhole on a power trip. Still, I agree that you should go for it. :D
Ryan,

Why would an Amtrak employee carrying out Amtrak policies be a "jackhole on a power trip." You are obviously a seasoned Amtrak rider, but by suggesting that ExtonFlyer "go for it," you are encouraging a violation of rules, as if not being able to consume your own alcohol in the lounge is some sort of social justice violation. If we want to encourage ExtonFlyer to "go for it," let's encourage fighting malaria in sub-tropical climates, assuring that women receive equal salary for equal work, or even spending a day working in a homeless shelter. Maybe after they sneak a couple of drinks, the boys can go to the restroom and try to sneak a smoke. I spend enough times on Amtrak to encounter many "jackholes on power trips," but rarely are they Amtrak employees.

If we want to encourage ExtonFlyer to "go for it," let's encourage fighting malaria in sub-tropical climates, assuring that women receive equal salary for equal work, or even spending a day working in a homeless shelter. I spend enough times on Amtrak to encounter many "jackholes on power trips," but rarely are they Amtrak employees.
Dave, I think you and I would see eye-to-eye on a lot of issues, but I'm guessing in this case that Ryan was actually referring to another guest and not an Amtrak employee. Maybe I'm wrong, but I've yet to see any Amtrak staff get excited about reasonable consumption of alcohol. I've seen them get excitable when they thought they smelled smoke, but that's about it.

Dave, you completely misinterpreted my post. The "jackhole on a power trip" that I referred to would be an Amtrak conductor that insisted on putting EF and his companions off the train for a relatively minor violation of drinking private stock in a public area (assuming that they're responsible about it and not acting like a bunch of rowdy drunks). (S)He'd certainly be well within his rights to, but it'd be such an extreme overreaction that I wouldn't expect it (but thought it wise to warn EF of the possibility). I'm not really sure where malaria, pay for women or the homeless really figure into the equation.

The "jackhole on a power trip" that I referred to would be an Amtrak conductor that insisted on putting EF and his companions off the train for a relatively minor violation of drinking private stock in a public area (assuming that they're responsible about it and not acting like a bunch of rowdy drunks). (S)He'd certainly be well within his rights to, but it'd be such an extreme overreaction that I wouldn't expect it (but thought it wise to warn EF of the possibility).
IMHO, it was quite correct to point out to EF what the consequences might be, no matter how unlikely it is to actually happen. The risk is a judgement call to be made by EF, but he can only make such a call a good call, when he understands all the possibilities.

Here are some tips regarding "Happy Hour"

First - I will often buy my first drink from an Amtrak attendant, and leave a very nice tip in the cup. Then they kind of look out for you. From that point, if you are in the lounge car, just refill from your own stock. I keep a cooler with me in the lounge. Just try to appear responsible, dress nicely and don't talk too loud, etc... BTW - I have never been questioned regarding my personal cooler. Just use discretion. I do keep several cans of "green tea" so it is not just beer and wine. In fact - during the day on the western trains - I mostly drink Green tea throughout the day. Then around 4 or 5 PM I switch over...

However - on the Silver Star you may want to stay in your rooms. But try to get at least two Roomettes across from each other - then you can actually seat 4 adults. The doors can slide open and pry the curtains open as far back as you can place them, to get them completely out of the way.

On a recent trip - it was my grown son and I, and an attorney friend (3 adults). So we found it to be OK to hang out by just one Roomette - with two seated and a third standing in the hallway. In fact, a few other passengers joined us. We had the last Roomette in the car - at the end. So it was especially private - no one really had a reason to go past us. Anyway - the Roomettes on the Silver Star are really nice - with high ceilings, two large windows in each Roomette, which provide a generous amount of natural light. And the car just seems quieter and smoother. The large windows are really nice just for viewing the afternoon countryside. A great place to enjoy a drink.

wink.gif
But Dave, you draw a crowd no matter where you travel! btw, r u saying that you DIDN'T invite anyone up to your penthouse suite? SHAME!
Did you actually think that I would let anyone past my private security force?
huh.gif
Besides, I wanted to see how the "regular" folks travel!
mosking.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

The fact that you are considered getting a larger room tells me that finances are not much of a problem for you.

That being the case, what's the objection to paying a little more to purchase drinks from Amtrak, and enjoying them worry-free in the lounge?

The difference in cost from bringing in your own couldn't be any where near the cost of the upgraded accommodation, could it?

Let me chime in again - without any poor attempts at scarcasm.

Amtrak has rules. If you want to ride Amtrak follow the rules. If you don't want to follow the rules find a different means of transportation. If you really disagree with the rules take the effort through proper channels to change them.

If you can, and are willing to upgrade one to a bedroom, problem solved!
biggrin.gif
The bedroom had a couch, sitting 3 comfortably, and another chair. Thus all 4 of you could easily fit in the bedroom, enjoy the "Happy Hour"
tongue.gif
and close the door!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back