Amfleet Is on Eastern LD Trains

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Daniel

Has Amtrak ever used Amfleet Is instead of IIs on its eastern LD trains for passengers traveling shorter distances?

Yes! And there is a current example.

The Adirondack travels between NYP and MTR (Montreal). When you board in NYP, if you're going to MTR you are seated in the AFII. If your destination is anywhere else, you are seated in the AFI. However once your ticket is collected and you get your seat check, there is nothing to stop you from moving. (I did in October!)
biggrin.gif

What about for eastern trains over 1,000 miles, such as the Crescent, Lake Shore, Silver Service? Any of those trains ever use Amfleet Is in the past?

What about for eastern trains over 1,000 miles, such as the Crescent, Lake Shore, Silver Service? Any of those trains ever use Amfleet Is in the past?
Normally, no. AMF 1s only appear in the event of an emergency equipment change. So it has happened, but rarely, fortunately.

Has Amtrak ever used Amfleet Is instead of IIs on its eastern LD trains for passengers traveling shorter distances?
Yes. On the old Cardinal/James Whitcomb Riley, Desert Wind, InterAmerican, National Limited, and Pioneer.

I can't speak for the other trains, but when I grew up in upstate NY, the LSL used both. West of ALB, it only had AFII cars. But at the time it carried local traffic from ALB to NYP (or NYG - Grand Central Terminal - for a while). When I boarded in SDY, I was seated in an AFII. However all passengers boarding in ALB were all put into AFI's they attached to the LSL!

Initially, Amfleet Is were configured as either LD or SD, and LD cars were used on LD trains. When the Amfleet IIs came in, that practice largely stopped until recently, because Amtrak still had quite a number of LD capable Heritage cars.

That being said, I would expect that practice of using Amfleet Is for short turners on LD trains will increase. Service expansion is under consideration, and doing that is a way to free up Amfleet IIs for other trains.

That being said, I would expect that practice of using Amfleet Is for short turners on LD trains will increase. Service expansion is under consideration, and doing that is a way to free up Amfleet IIs for other trains.
I think they may be starting this on some of the intermediate distance trains... I took the Palmetto from WAS to RVR in November, and before boarding was directed by the conductor into an AF1 based on my destination while other passengers going further along were directed to AF2's. I've got another trip down south on the Carolinian next month that I'll have to see where they seat me then...

But TT is absolutely right in that once they take your ticket and give you your seat check, there's no real way for them to keep you from moving from one car to another... I too have done that on occasion :giggle:

Since when did medium distance trains, such as the Adirondack, Maple Leaf, and the Pennsylvanian have Amfleet IIs as well as Is? Has this occurred recently?

There have even been Horizon coaches on eastern LDs such as the Lake Shore. Not normally, but if that's all that's available, it's better than no car at all.

OK - what is Amfleet?
Amfleet (AF) cars are the single level cars used on eastern routes, except for the CL and Auto Train. AFI cars have more seats per car, thus a very tight seat pitch (distance between seats). These are used mostly on the NEC. AFII cars have less seats per car, and are normally used on LD trains. The 2 level cars are called Superliners, but they can not be used on most routes in the east, because these routes go thru tunnels in Baltimore and New York City, and Superliners do not fit in those tunnels.

And the change to AFIIs on some routes like the Adirondack was recent - like in the last year, IIRC.

Whenever this subject comes up, I am reminded of the historic role the Amfleet cars performed in that dreaded winter of (1976-1977?), when Superliners were not made yet. and the HEP program had not yet commenced. The Chicago yard, the heart and soul of the national long distance fleet, was in a very deep freeze. For days, entire trainsets of heritage equipment with frozen broken pipes had to be sent down to New Orleans to thaw out. Long distance routes one by one had to be cancelled of all service, as there was nothing to run. Amtrak was at its knees. Nothing that is until they started sending Amfleet equipment out together with what remaining heritage cars that were serviceable. One by one routes were restored with at least some service. The Amfleet cars performed heroically, and saved Amtrak from going under.

When the freeze ended, the service went back to normal, but the lessons learned sparked the Head End Power conversion program.

But TT is absolutely right in that once they take your ticket and give you your seat check, there's no real way for them to keep you from moving from one car to another... I too have done that on occasion :giggle:
There may not be a tried and true way to prevent one from moving one's seat. However, some conductors do make note of the seat checks as they pass through the cars looking for tickets from the newly boarded, and they will make you move back to the correct car. Some conductors don't care, unless they know that the long distance car is going to be sold out, in which case they have to make you move.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back