Extra Cars on the Consist

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Anderson

Engineer
Ok. I know the standard Capitol Limited consist is 3 coach, 1 lounge, 1 diner, 3 sleepers. Assuming they had the cars to do it (since I know such is an endless issue for Amtrak), how hard would it be for them to slap an extra sleeper and coach car on the train around Christmas? I'm especially thinking of the sleepers, which tend to sell out a bit earlier. I know at least part of the issue there is diner capacity (though on my CL, they didn't seem to be using the full diner) as such meals are guaranteed, but how hard would it be to stick 2-3 extra cars on the consist during the "blackout" periods?

Amtrak already does this on various routes when equipment permits. During the Thanksgiving week, for example, every serviceable Viewliner was put into service and several eastern LD trains operated with three sleepers instead of the standard two.

You already have extra coaches added to numerous trains during the peak season as well.

If more Superliner sleepers are available, I'm not sure where the Capitol Limited falls in the raking of trains in line to get an extra sleeper if one becomes available.

Amtrak already does this on various routes when equipment permits. During the Thanksgiving week, for example, every serviceable Viewliner was put into service and several eastern LD trains operated with three sleepers instead of the standard two.

You already have extra coaches added to numerous trains during the peak season as well.

If more Superliner sleepers are available, I'm not sure where the Capitol Limited falls in the raking of trains in line to get an extra sleeper if one becomes available.
Looks like the red headed step child Sunset got left at the station again; Monday of turkey day week it left NOL with just two coaches and one of then was a coach bag. Supremely poor planning as kids were sleeping in the overhead luggage racks for lack of room. :angry2:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd like to see some documented evidence of "kids...sleeping in the overhead luggage racks."

I'd like to see some documented evidence of "kids...sleeping in the overhead luggage racks."
I'd like it if Amtrak converted the overhead baggage racks to sleeping berths! Definitely worth a few extra dollars to be able to stretch out fully on overnight coach trips.

Ok. I know the standard Capitol Limited consist is 3 coach, 1 lounge, 1 diner, 3 sleepers. Assuming they had the cars to do it (since I know such is an endless issue for Amtrak), how hard would it be for them to slap an extra sleeper and coach car on the train around Christmas? I'm especially thinking of the sleepers, which tend to sell out a bit earlier. I know at least part of the issue there is diner capacity (though on my CL, they didn't seem to be using the full diner) as such meals are guaranteed, but how hard would it be to stick 2-3 extra cars on the consist during the "blackout" periods?

I'd like it if Amtrak converted the overhead baggage racks to sleeping berths! Definitely worth a few extra dollars to be able to stretch out fully on overnight coach trips.
It would take 2 years to design, engineer, do safety considerations ,and construct to get it done.

It would take 2 years to design, engineer, do safety considerations ,and construct to get it done.
I would willingly and with full consent take my chances as it is right now. There's just enough room for one person up there.

Unless the world has changed since I last rode it, the Cap runs with 2 P42s, an H-bag, a Transdorm, 2 sleepers, a CCC serving as a diner, a lounge, and 2 to 3 coaches.

The only Superliners I know that run with more than two full Superliner sleepers are the Starlight, Builder, and Auto Train. And the former 2 only do so on peak.

Don't forget the mandatory environmental study.....that'll add another 2 years and a few mil.

Unless the world has changed since I last rode it, the Cap runs with 2 P42s, an H-bag, a Transdorm, 2 sleepers, a CCC serving as a diner, a lounge, and 2 to 3 coaches.

The only Superliners I know that run with more than two full Superliner sleepers are the Starlight, Builder, and Auto Train. And the former 2 only do so on peak.
You're right...I was in the Transdorm and there were two sleepers (the New Hampshire and one other), the diner (not being used at capacity as far as I could tell), the lounge, and 3 coaches.

...a CCC serving as a diner...
It's a full diner.
To the untrained eye (mine) how can one tell the difference between a full diner and a CCC?
From the outside, the CCCs have numbers in the 37000 series and are labeled "Diner Lounge." Full dining cars are in the 38000 series, and are labeled "Dining Car."

Inside, the full diner has four-seat booths on each side of the aisle, on both ends of the car, with the service area in the middle (and an aisle that runs through the middle of it).

The CCC/diner-lounge has a staggered layout of four-seat booths and three-seat booths (where one person sits in the middle with his/her back to the window). Most of the tables are on one side of the car, with a small "lounge" section (similar tables) on the other. The center of the car has a service area somewhat similar to a dining car, but immediately attached to that is a counter setup for an LSA. The intent of that was originally that you would get cafe service from the same car as your dining car service.

Word has it that the table configuration of the diner-lounge is going to be modified (no timeline set) to replace the three-seat booths with standard four-seaters.

difference between a full diner and a CCC

Thanks for the answers. Now I know that on my recent TE trip the diners were CCC cars. And the "3 seat" tables often held 4, including once for us at breakfast.

...a CCC serving as a diner...
It's a full diner.
I haven't been keeping up with this, since GML Glove, Safety & Apparel (not its real name) has been a full time job for me since I started the business about a month ago, but I am pretty sure that at least one of the cars regularly on the caps rotation is a 37000 series car, that if Chicago is short on 38000 series cars they take it from the cap, and that when there are spares in Washington, they are 37000 series cars.

The Starlight had an extra coach today and it looked full. The standard number of 3 sleepers however plus the tranny.

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back