Amtrak Lifts Ban on Guns effective Dec 15th.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The ban on firearms aboard Amtrak will end on December 15th thereby allowing the law abiding citizen to again legally transport firearms. Guns must be encased, unloaded, in checked baggage and 24 hour notice must be given. The main problem as I see it is that you are only allowed 11 lbs of ammunition. I'd like to see this increased to at least 40 lbs.

Why would you need forty pounds of ammo?

Hunting trip, Moving, etc.

Ammo, by its very nature is quite heavy. 11 pounds is not that much. If Amtrak wants to get new riders I can see this as a novel way to do so because it will be a big difference between them and the airlines.

Active gun owners also tend to be more conservative than the average population. Getting more conservatives to be pro-Amtrak can only help passenger rail in America.

I have no idea why Amtrak would limit the amount of ammo in that way. Would there be a problem with 40 pounds of ammo popping off during a fire or similar emergency? How much greater would that be compared to 11 lbs.?

I was told in training that Amtrak's policy would mirror closely the airline's policies. Is 11 lbs. consistent with airline policy?

I'm generally against any policy that makes owning, using, or transporting guns any easier. Nor do I agree that with what my fat and lazy contemporaries call "hunting" these days. On the flip side Amtrak does serve some rather rural areas that probably have little if any direct police support. In that one situation I can see a benefit to owning guns for emergencies. Other than that I'm generally against them and I support the right of cities to regulate gun ownership, transport, and usage.

Why is it any of your business?
This isn't a private message Matt, it's an open thread where anyone can participate if they so desire. If you don't like that you're always free to take all your marbles and go home.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh Dax, you need to get out more. This regulation only affects the law-abiding gun owner. The bad guys will continue to do whatever they want to do.

I have transported guns many times via airlines with no problems. I've never been tempted to shoot up an airport, nor will I start shooting while in a train station while checking my guns.

I'm generally against any policy that makes owning, using, or transporting guns any easier.
The little guy with the mustache that ran Germany during WW2 felt the same way. So did Castro, Chavez, Kim Jong il, and Mao Tse Tung.

Freedom loving Constitutionalists like myself welcome Amtraks decision to allow the legal transportation of fireaarms.

I was told in training that Amtrak's policy would mirror closely the airline's policies. Is 11 lbs. consistent with airline policy?
A quick google check shows that American Airlines, Delta and Frontier all have a 11 lb / 5 kg limit on ammunition. So the 5 kg limit must be the standard airline limit for ammunition. So Amtrak is indeed following the standard airline policies. Will make it easier when dealing with people checking guns in baggage because many of them are likely to be familiar with the packaging and weight restrictions.

I'm generally against any policy that makes owning, using, or transporting guns any easier. Nor do I agree that with what my fat and lazy contemporaries call "hunting" these days. On the flip side Amtrak does serve some rather rural areas that probably have little if any direct police support. In that one situation I can see a benefit to owning guns for emergencies. Other than that I'm generally against them and I support the right of cities to regulate gun ownership, transport, and usage.

This isn't a private message Matt, it's an open thread where anyone can participate if they so desire. If you don't like that you're always free to take all your marbles and go home.
Yea, it's an open forum. He posted a question in an open forum. I was simply inquiring as to the reasoning behind said question.

Oh Dax, you need to get out more. This regulation only affects the law-abiding gun owner. The bad guys will continue to do whatever they want to do. I have transported guns many times via airlines with no problems. I've never been tempted to shoot up an airport, nor will I start shooting while in a train station while checking my guns.
I'm not that worried about a lawful gun owner shooting a stranger like me, that's statistically unlikely. Unfortunately today's law abiding gun owner can become tomorrow's family killing maniac. Hard times can make otherwise good people do very bad things, and guns can turn a bad thing into a horrible tragedy in a matter of seconds.

The little guy with the mustache that ran Germany during WW2 felt the same way. So did Castro, Chavez, Kim Jong il, and Mao Tse Tung. Freedom loving Constitutionalists like myself welcome Amtraks decision to allow the legal transportation of fireaarms.
I hope every American is someday free to experience the wonder of being shot by another American. I really don't care if it's over a cheating spouse or road rage or loss of a job, it's all equally patriotic to me.

Yea, it's an open forum. You posted a question in an open forum. I was simply inquiring as to the reasoning behind said question which you sort of answered.
You seem to be confusing me with someone else.

I have no idea why Amtrak would limit the amount of ammo in that way. Would there be a problem with 40 pounds of ammo popping off during a fire or similar emergency? How much greater would that be compared to 11 lbs.?
Ammunition is not really a problem in a fire as long as it is not in a container that will hold pressure and ammo boxes specifically do not.

There are folks who just have an aversion to firearms. They will advocate stringent gun control despite the fact that the justification for it, namely the "rising violent crime rate" isn't. Violent crime has been declining since the '80 and is now what it was in the late 50's early 60's. It continues to decline even though we are in economic bad times. The FBI reported that in 2009, it declined by 5.5 percent vs 2008, one of the largest annual drops seen. This year's preliminary data show it still ongoing.

OTOH, this is an Amtrak board, arguing gun policy, other that carriage is not really appropriate.

In the National Opt out day thread, you were a bastion of freedom for all and a fearless defender of the Constitution. I guess that only applies to things that you agree with?

Yet you can't see the fact that since it's an open thread, he's allowed to ask questions like that?
The hypocrisy is mind blowing.

I'm generally against any policy that makes owning, using, or transporting guns any easier.
The little guy with the mustache that ran Germany during WW2 felt the same way.
Thanks for invoking Godwin's Law (Google it if you don't know what I'm talking about). This thread probably needed to be locked pretty quickly, anyway.

Freedom loving Constitutionalists like myself welcome Amtraks decision to allow the legal transportation of fireaarms.
The decision was not Amtrak's. It was legislated into effect with last year's budget.

In the National Opt out day thread, you were a bastion of freedom for all and a fearless defender of the Constitution. I guess that only applies to things that you agree with?
Although I'm not a fan of guns I do recognize that their possession and use are protected to some extent by the Constitution. For that reason I'd be happy to allow well regulated Militias to board with checked weapons as their various security focused duties require. Presumably the modern equivalent of these militias would be our various armed forces and police forces. I don't see "random gun fan" or "hunting party" as sufficiently regulated or protected by the Constitution.

Yet you can't see the fact that since it's an open thread, he's allowed to ask questions like that? The hypocrisy is mind blowing.
His question didn't seem to be asked in good faith the way I was reading it. If you really think I was being too harsh then feel free to take it up with a moderator instead of wasting my time with this endless baiting you're so fond of.

There are folks who just have an aversion to firearms. They will advocate stringent gun control despite the fact that the justification for it, namely the "rising violent crime rate" isn't.
I don't see that quote anywhere in this thread. Apparently you just conjured it up out of thin air as part of a straw man argument. My justification for increased gun control comes from the far fewer gun-related deaths seen in countries where guns are heavily regulated. There are some exceptions to this rule, and I'd be very interested in continued research aimed at discovering what influences result in these exceptions, but the tried and true method of reducing gun related violence and deaths comes from sharply increased regulation.

Oh Dax, you need to get out more. This regulation only affects the law-abiding gun owner. The bad guys will continue to do whatever they want to do. I have transported guns many times via airlines with no problems. I've never been tempted to shoot up an airport, nor will I start shooting while in a train station while checking my guns.
I'm not that worried about a lawful gun owner shooting a stranger like me, that's statistically unlikely. Unfortunately today's law abiding gun owner can become tomorrow's family killing maniac.
And the statistics to back this up say ? ? ? ? or are there any?

Better read the second ammendment: The ability to have a militia is the rationale behind the people's right to bear arms.

Although I'm not a fan of guns I do recognize that their possession and use are protected to some extent by the Constitution. For that reason I'd be happy to allow well regulated Militias to board with checked weapons as their various security focused duties require. Presumably the modern equivalent of these militias would be our various armed forces and police forces. I don't see "random gun fan" or "hunting party" as sufficiently regulated or protected by the Constitution.
The courts disagree with your interpretation. I'm going to go ahead and put my faith in them rather than some random dude on the internet.
Yet you can't see the fact that since it's an open thread, he's allowed to ask questions like that? The hypocrisy is mind blowing.
His question didn't seem to be asked in good faith the way I was reading it. If you really think I was being too harsh then feel free to take it up with a moderator instead of wasting my time with this endless baiting you're so fond of.
It's an open thread where anyone can participate if they so desire. If you don't like that you're always free to take all your marbles and go home
There are folks who just have an aversion to firearms. They will advocate stringent gun control despite the fact that the justification for it, namely the "rising violent crime rate" isn't.
I don't see that quote anywhere in this thread. Apparently you just conjured it up out of thin air as part of a straw man argument. My justification for increased gun control comes from the far fewer gun-related deaths seen in countries where guns are heavily regulated. There are some exceptions to this rule, and I'd be very interested in continued research aimed at discovering what influences result in these exceptions, but the tried and true method of reducing gun related violence and deaths comes from sharply increased regulation.
Try comparing violent crime and homicide (by any method, not just guns) rate and you'll discover that the facts lead you elsewhere. Are you any safer in a country where you're just as likely (if not more so) to get stabbed or beaten to death just because you're not going to get shot? I don't think so.

I'm not that worried about a lawful gun owner shooting a stranger like me, that's statistically unlikely. Unfortunately today's law abiding gun owner can become tomorrow's family killing maniac.
And the statistics to back this up say ? ? ? ? or are there any?

Better read the second ammendment: The ability to have a militia is the rationale behind the people's right to bear arms.
And here I thought the 2nd Amendment was interpreted as this: http://youtu.be/bCgCceg042w

And the statistics to back this up say ? ? ? ? or are there any? Better read the second ammendment: The ability to have a militia is the rationale behind the people's right to bear arms.
You're looking for a statistic that says a lawful gun owner can quickly mow down his family after facing a mental breakdown? Considering that I read about this sort of thing all the time I guess I took it as obvious and uncontested. A family that is attacked with a fists or a knife would have a much better opportunity for survival than a family attacked with a gun. The first person hit or stabbed can alert the others to the danger. One person can defend against the attack while the others assist or flee or call for help. With a gun there's far less time for defending or running or calling for assistance. Seems pretty obvious to me but if you have information that contradicts this I'd be interested in taking a look. As for the second amendment I noticed you left out "well regulated." What we call "militias" today are barely regulated at all in states like mine.

The courts disagree with your interpretation. I'm going to go ahead and put my faith in them rather than some random dude on the internet.
Which courts? Today's right-leaning courts may indeed agree with you. Yesteryears left-leaning courts may have indeed agreed with me. There is no court in this country which is infallible and their views change with every new appointment and departure.

Try comparing violent crime and homicide (by any method, not just guns) rate and you'll discover that the facts lead you elsewhere. Are you any safer in a country where you're just as likely (if not more so) to get stabbed or beaten to death just because you're not going to get shot? I don't think so.
I'm curious where you're getting your information from. From what I've read US has one of the worst homicide rates among industrialized democracies. Countries that are generally lawless, are in the midst of civil war, or suffer from routine coups are far worse but why would I compare them with us? Surely we should expect more than what Zambia can provide? Among the countries that have fewer homicides they generally have far stricter gun control laws. Why wouldn't I be safer in a country where the weapons of choice are fists and knives? At least I'd have a chance of besting my opponent or holding them off long enough for someone else to escape. Against a gun-wielding maniac? Not so much.

daxomni, I tried to respond favorably, though sarcatically to your comments, but it seems the site editor might favor gun rights, but not freedom if speech. My comments were censored out of existance.

Militias have jack diddly squat to do with the second amendment. I don't have the link handy, but an English professor did a linguistic analysis of the second amendment. It all boils down to something about the "well regulated militias" being subordinate rather defining, meaning the second amendment's power would be unchanged if you removed the part about "well regulated militias."

What we are talking about in this post is the right of the law abiding citizen to peacefully and lawfully transport his legal weapon on an Amtrak train. Apparently Amtrak agrees as they just changed their regulations to accomodate firearms transportation. If anyone is on this post to condemn or is somehow paranoid about the lawful and proper transportation of firearms on a train, I will only say that this may be an indication that they have a deep seated hatred of people who own firearms for target shooting, hunting or self defense.

Yes gun owners ride Amtrak and I intend to take advantage of the new regulation.

For the record I am neither a Republican or a Democrat so this left vs right nonsense means nothing to me..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back