Crew Car

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this what's also called the Trans Dorm?

Isn't there an odd window in the transitional staircase?

There is no room 25/26. The center stairs are on the even numbered side. The center restroom and shower are actually one single room (no separate hallway door). Next to room 17 is room 15, which is actually just a roomette-sized space with a single seat (supposedly the "conductor's office" though nobody ever uses that space, except perhaps for storage). Across from 15 is another restroom/shower combo.

The lower level is also reversed. The "staff lounge" has a couple of cafe-style booths, and just an empty space behind where supplies are usually stored. The lower-level "conductor's office" doesn't exist, at least not in the few that I've been on. I know there are two subtly different configurations, but off the top of my head I can't remember how they are different. The lower-level "staff bedroom" is a regular handicap bedroom, but it's never sold as such.

The Conductor's office is upstairs on the low end of the car. If you look at the car on the low end fireman's side (assuming low end is leading) the office is on that side. The stairs are also set up a bit differently on the low end. About half run parallel to the rail before turning to descend the remainder. Also downstairs in the lounge area, most cars have two booths and four captains chairs. However 39000, 39001, and 39002 (which are captive on Auto Train) have six booths downstairs.

First, I guess I'm a bit confused as to why you would labor to make a drawing of something that is already available online. You can view the actual layouts of the Trans/Dorm here (Upper level) and here (lower level).

Next, to answer Robert's question, there are indeed two variations of the dorm car. The bulk of them are as pictured in the links above. However, there are a few where the H-room does not exist. Instead there is a large power room for the ladies, complete with attached shower. The two toilets on the top of the diagram on the lower level don't exist. And the toilet to the left on the bottom of the diagram is for men only and it has the attached shower. There is no shower attached to the upper level toilet in this variation.

Can you ever get lucky enough to get a tour of the crew car? Who would you ask to see it (if they aren't busy)?
On most trains you can actually book a sleeper in the crew car; only the Auto Train does not sell rooms in the Trans/Dorm and simply because they have so many crew members that they need all of them for the crew, and maybe even more.

As for a tour of the rest of the car that's normally off limits to passengers, you might get lucky to find someone to give you a tour but I wouldn't bet on it. In general the crew sort of frowns on people walking through their section of the car. It's there one area to go to get away from the paying passenger when they're on a break.

If you live near a big station, you might get lucky like I did in DC 2 years ago on National Train Day when they included a crew dorm in the display consist. So everyone actually got to walk through the entire car and down the stairs to an attached single level car.

First, I guess I'm a bit confused as to why you would labor to make a drawing of something that is already available online. You can view the actual layouts of the Trans/Dorm here (Upper level) and here (lower level).
Now I'm confused Alan...just where is the shower room from your illustrations? The T/D I rode last week had no H room but a big ladies powder room downstairs with a shower room attached.(Does this mean males can't shower?) There was no shower upstairs for rev pax but I did not check the crew's end for another shower room out of respect for their territory.

Can you ever get lucky enough to get a tour of the crew car? Who would you ask to see it (if they aren't busy)?
YES!!

I was actually booked in 21, I had to be taken as I had no idea where my bunk was and did not dream I was in the Crew Car. It was like entering Trump Tower! I was in true awe of the vast enhancements! Low lighting, soft music, cocktails served, high tea and plush beds, hot tubs and tanning salon, huge pillows and wood grained carvings with gold fixtures! Champagne/Godiva chocolates on the night stand. The Queen does not travel this well! Oh Yes, easy access to the engine and late night chats with engineers.

NOT!!!!!!

Had ya thinkin for a while.............

Actually, it was just like any other sleeper car, did not go downstairs where the piano bar was, as all facilities were up top. Not many other mere mortals booked there as I was one of the few. Never really saw the crew. My attendant was just super and really was a cool lady. Prompt 0700 wake up call for breakfast. I did have the best nights sleep ever on the train. I suspect it was the sound of the engines and the horn. Many will dislike the horn, but it did not bother me. I was in the car for 2 nights on a trip out west. It was just like any other room on the train, just not so many people in bunks. Very quiet, just train noises! I loved it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Now I'm confused Alan...just where is the shower room from your illustrations? The T/D I rode last week had no H room but a big ladies powder room downstairs with a shower room attached.(Does this mean males can't shower?) There was no shower upstairs for rev pax but I did not check the crew's end for another shower room out of respect for their territory.
If you look at the lower level diagram shown at the link, on the stairs side there are 2 bathrooms. The bathroom closest to the H-room in that drawing in a Mens only bathroom. Extending off of that mens only room into the space occupied by the H-room in the drawing is a shower room of traditional size. Then what's left of the H-room is the womens powder room/shower.

Thanks! That is just what I was looking for. I got confused on which way the car was going so everything got flipped.

Are they still running baggage cars? When I went from LA to Dallas I know there wasn't one on the Texas Eagle but I am not sure if there was one leaving LA.

Is there a diagram of the baggage car and engine? Can the crew walk all the way from the Trans / Dorm car to the engine inside the train?

Norm

Next, to answer Robert's question, there are indeed two variations of the dorm car. The bulk of them are as pictured in the links above. However, there are a few where the H-room does not exist. Instead there is a large power room for the ladies, complete with attached shower. The two toilets on the top of the diagram on the lower level don't exist. And the toilet to the left on the bottom of the diagram is for men only and it has the attached shower. There is no shower attached to the upper level toilet in this variation.

POWER ROOM Alan? I think you meant Powder Room??!! Boy the ladies have enough power over us, give them a little more and then they'll really be in charge!!

(Now being whacked on the head by my wife!) :lol:

Thanks! That is just what I was looking for. I got confused on which way the car was going so everything got flipped.

Are they still running baggage cars? When I went from LA to Dallas I know there wasn't one on the Texas Eagle but I am not sure if there was one leaving LA.

Is there a diagram of the baggage car and engine? Can the crew walk all the way from the Trans / Dorm car to the engine inside the train?

Norm
Norm,

When there is a Trans/Dorm the crew can reach the baggage car from the rest of the train. They cannot however get into the engine, at least safely and maybe not at all. Depending on how the engine is orientated, they may be able to get in the rear door, but it's probably not all that safe to try it. And on most trains, there are two or more engines, so the crew would only be able to get into the rear engine and not the lead engine where the engineer is. And if the engine is running backwards, that is to say that the headlight is facing the baggage car, then there is no way to get into the engine at all.

The Eagle is one of two long distance trains, IIRC, that does not run with a baggage car. The Sunset Limited out of LA however does run with a bag.

As for a diagram of the baggage car, there's really not much to diagram. Just picture a box car, but with doors on both ends and on the sides.

As for a diagram of the baggage car, there's really not much to diagram. Just picture a box car, but with doors on both ends and on the sides.
There really isn't much to diagram, but Amtrak helpfully provided one anyway. Its Fleet Strategy Plan (pdf) included a diagram of a typical heritage baggage car. Many engine diagrams are also available, although some don't have cutaways.

baggage_car_diagram.jpg

Are they still running baggage cars? When I went from LA to Dallas I know there wasn't one on the Texas Eagle but I am not sure if there was one leaving LA.Is there a diagram of the baggage car and engine? Can the crew walk all the way from the Trans / Dorm car to the engine inside the train?
On some of the smaller trains like the CONO and Texas Eagle all checked baggage are stored in a Coach Baggage car. There's usually a pretty low volume of checked bags, not to mention limited fleet availability. This wasn't possible 10 years ago as most all of the Coach Baggage cars were converted to Coach Smoking cars (with a penalty box for smokers on the lower level), but these cars were not designed with good ventilation systems, and consequently the cars reeked of cigarettes, not pleasant for non-smokers. In recent years the cars were converted back to baggage coaches and are used as such today.
As Alan indicated, if there is a Trans Dorm and a single engine on a train it is possible to enter the engine from the back door and proceed through the air compressor room, engine room, and into the cab where the Engineer is. On a train with two engines or more, if the rear engine is facing forward you are able to access the cab of the trailing motor. This would only be useful if there was a fault with the engine that the Conductor was going to investigate en route, or if there is some sort of HEP issue that they needed to address en route. But on trains where there is only one motor it is possible to get to the cab if it the train is single level or has a Trans Dorm.

So if I got this right, the crew takes up about half of the sleeping car? Those baggage/dorm cars that have been ordered will sure be useful to create more passenger sleeping compartments.

There really isn't much to diagram, but Amtrak helpfully provided one anyway. Its Fleet Strategy Plan (pdf) included a diagram of a typical heritage baggage car. Many engine diagrams are also available, although some don't have cutaways.
Mind you now the new Viewliner baggage cars won't be just open cars inside. They're going to have shelving modules to hold the bags. And of course some of them will be half bag/half crew dorm.

So if I got this right, the crew takes up about half of the sleeping car? Those baggage/dorm cars that have been ordered will sure be useful to create more passenger sleeping compartments.
I believe that Amtrak actually tries to split up the crew between the sleepers on the single level trains, at least when they can. But yes, you are essentially correct, they do take up the equivilent of half of a Viewliner sleeping car. This became necessary when Amtrak retired the old Heritage crew dorms.

So the new baggage/dorm cars will be quite helpful and welcome once they arrive, as they'll have room for 9 crew members. With the possible exception of the LSL during busy periods, that should get the crew out of the regular sleepers entirely.

I believe that Amtrak actually tries to split up the crew between the sleepers on the single level trains, at least when they can. But yes, you are essentially correct, they do take up the equivilent of half of a Viewliner sleeping car. This became necessary when Amtrak retired the old Heritage crew dorms.
They currently do split the crew up amongst the various sleepers (depending on how many the train is carrying). This is done so that the crew is in the "less desirable" rooms (closer to the axle) and so that one Attendant doesn't have half a car that is crew members that won't tip, and the other has a full house. Of course this will all be a moot point when the Dorms come online.

Just wondering.... does the car attendant ever get a room-mate on the Viewliners?

baggage_car_diagram.jpg

Thanks! You guys are the best.

Just wondering.... does the car attendant ever get a room-mate on the Viewliners?
Only if it's of their own choosing. Like a mom bring along her kid whose on vacation or something like that. But Amtrak will never assign a room mate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back