Cats that travel

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not really, since you're not supposed to be able to bring pets on the train.
I think what he is saying is people bring the cat stuff with them on their clothes on the trains, just as the article said they do on planes.

True, but that's far less than actually having the animals onboard.

It would be interesting to have the same testing done on the seats on Amtrak and see what the results are.

Last edited by a moderator:
cat-carrier.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats a pretty bizarre ad joke and cat owners like us consider this a rather cruel statement. Our cats are well behaved and in no way bother or harm anyone.

I have seen a cat go aboard an Amtrak train on one occasion. It was on the AutoTrain in 2009. I asked the passenger how she got permission to take her cat with her. She said that the cat was a service animal which I could only imagine went with her to calm an emotiional disorder. Needless to say she did board a sleeper (with her mom) and she arrived in Florida with her feline friend in hand. I also met a women in Penn Station NY last year who was giving water to her little Toy Yorkie in the amtrak waiting area. She put him back in a carry bag and took the little dog onboard. I asked her if she knew dogs were not permitted and she said that she knew this but her dog didn't bark always slept quietly in the carry bag during the trip and remarked that the conductors never bothered her.. She got on the train and I don't know what appened afterwards.

In years past I believe that pets were allowed on the trains but since Amtrak took over its been forbidden. I would not like to see the policy changed as LD train travel is very different from LD air travel. Air travel is usually done in one day so small animals can be caged while LD train travel presents a different set of circumstances.

Are dogs really banned from Amtrak? We were on the CS this past October, and 2 different rooms had dogs. One had a small fluffy dog, and the other was a large thin one. Neither were service dogs, and both were in sleepers. One in a roomette downstairs, and the large dog in a bedroom upstairs with it's owners.

Are dogs really banned from Amtrak? We were on the CS this past October, and 2 different rooms had dogs. One had a small fluffy dog, and the other was a large thin one. Neither were service dogs, and both were in sleepers. One in a roomette downstairs, and the large dog in a bedroom upstairs with it's owners.
According to Amtrak policy, only service animals are allowed to travel, and of course that opens up a whole new argument as to what exactly constitutes a service animal.

According to Amtrak policy, only service animals are allowed to travel, and of course that opens up a whole new argument as to what exactly constitutes a service animal.
http://www.ada.gov/qasrvc.htm

It appears that if a person says it is a service animal, one has to take it at face value. Maybe they should ask if the animal is a pet instead of a service animal. Just from going to stores, it appears that many folks are taking animals that don't appear to be service animals just about everywhere.

Dan

Not only did the cat trigger Vieth's asthma, requiring him to use an inhaler later, the animal, scared by the storm, also lost control of its bowels.
Oh get the heck over it! The animal can't help. Babies crap too and the smell is just as bad, heck pretty sure an adult or two has lost control of their bowels and it didn't smell so good.

If you are worried about allergies get in your car and drive. Plain and simple.

In terms of the question about what constitutes a service animal... In my opinion, this policy will spiral out of control and will only be reviewed and revised when we start seeing people bring their service sheep into their roomettes.

Oh get the heck over it! The animal can't help. Babies crap too and the smell is just as bad, heck pretty sure an adult or two has lost control of their bowels and it didn't smell so good.
not-this-again.jpg

You still fundamentally don't get the difference between "unpleasant" and "allergies". Nobody has ever died from an unpleasant smell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back