What Routes should I take

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MattN

what routes would be the best for me?

What routes have you had the best experience on?

What routes are just down right amazing.

Input is appreciated :)

Where are you going from LA?
huh.gif
New Orleans? Chicago? Seattle? San Diego? Or just riding the train?
huh.gif
Our answers depend on knowing!
wink.gif

How much time do you have? Have you ridden any routes that originate in LA?

Edit to add: What's your budget? You paying cash only, or are you looking to redeem any AGR awards?

Last edited by a moderator:

Edit to add: What's your budget? You paying cash only, or are you looking to redeem any AGR awards?
I dont have a budget I have ridden the CS, the CZ, and the LSL and im looking to go in a bedroom in all of them.

I dont have a budget I have ridden the CS, the CZ, and the LSL and im looking to go in a bedroom in all of them.

A "quick" but full trip take the SC to Chicago and take the TE/SL on the way back. If you want it to be longer I strongly suggest the EB

If it was I the creme de la creme would be first~ Coast Starlight to Seatle, Empire Builder to Chicago, Cardinal to Charlottsville or Washington (depending on OTP) and Crescent to NOL to Sunset Ltd.(only because its OTP has been extraordinarily good lately) back to L.A. Happy riding~ you'll get a good mix of Superliner and Viewliner equipment as well as the best Amtrak has to offer on the west coast trains. :rolleyes:

In planning my travels, I'm trying hard to not ride the same train twice so that I can see all that Amtrak has to offer. Given that, I would take the previous two suggestions and combine them:

LAX-CHI on the Southwest Cheif

CHI-WAS on either the Cardinal or Capitol Limited

WAS-NOL on the Crescent (if you take the Cardinal, you can also transfer at Charlottesville, VA (CVS))

NOL-LAX on the Sunset Limited.

What the hell, if ya dont have a budget , just throw a dart at the TT Map on the inside cover!!!

Have Fun!

Spring or Summer - I would guess that the Empire Builder is the ultimate Amtrak train, certainly in the warmer months with much more daylight. We are riding the Builder this December - about a week prior to the winter solstice, so I expect to see maybe see 9 hours of daylight. However, in the summer it's more like 15 to 16 hours of daylight. But at least for us - in the winter it may be less crowded, and will certainly put us in a seasonal mood.

If you were looking at a winter trip - I was thinking of suggesting the Southwest Chief and return via Sunset Limited.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back