a couple of questions from a rookie

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JeanineB

My friend and I are taking our sons (13) out west this summer. Here is the plan: Cardinal from STA to CHI (was able to get two roomettes at a good price) and then Empire Builder from Chi to WGL--Coach. After a few days at Glacier and Yellowstone, we will get on the California Zephyr at HER and travel back to CHI then back to STA on the Cardinal, also coach the entire way back.

Here are my two questions:

1. I see the Empire Builder has a family bedroom at a decent price and we are considering getting that knowing that two of the beds are short. The beds will be several inches shorter than our boys, but they claim that that won't be a problem because they don't stretch all the way out and figure a shorter bed is still more comfortable than a coach seat. What is your opinion on this? It is tempting given that will include all our meals and we would have a place we could leave all our stuff. Will Amtrak allow you to book this room even if the children are not small children?

2. Connections. I only have about 2.5 to 3 hours layover in Chi from CZ to Cardinal. That makes me a little nervous given how often CZ is later. What are my chances of making that connections and what are my options if I do not given that there is not another Cardinal leaving for another two days.

Thanks for all the information. I have enjoyed reading all your posts.

I've read posts on here before, that if the CZ is late - I think they have a bus meet the CZ at Galesburg - and it will just take the Cardinal passengers over to a stop in Indiana (one of the first sops that the Cardinal makes - after departing Chicago), for the Eastbound Cardinal. Smart idea for sure... And the bus ride is not that long.

1. I see the Empire Builder has a family bedroom at a decent price and we are considering getting that knowing that two of the beds are short. The beds will be several inches shorter than our boys, but they claim that that won't be a problem because they don't stretch all the way out and figure a shorter bed is still more comfortable than a coach seat. What is your opinion on this? It is tempting given that will include all our meals and we would have a place we could leave all our stuff. Will Amtrak allow you to book this room even if the children are not small children?
As long as the boys still qualify under Amtrak's rules as children (15 & under), then you will have no trouble booking the family room. If they qualify as adult, then you could have a problem.

Please note, once the beds are down, you won't have very much room to store things within your room. Most of the floor space will be gone with the beds down. So unless you have duffles or flat bags that can slide under the seat (read maybe 8 to 10 inches at most high) most of your luggage will have to remain in the common luggage rack just down the hall.

If you can get the family bedroom at what you consider, a reasonable price, then get it. Not only does it include your meals, consider, that during the summer months, it is not easy for passengers traveling in coach to even get into the diner, especially for dinner at anytime earlier than about 9pm.

Thanks everyone. I went ahead and booked it for $352 which I thought was pretty good for four people since it included the meals. I figured a short bed may still be more comfortable to sleep than a coach chair. Now I just need to watch to see if I can snag cheap sleepers on the return. First class out at this point, coach back.

Also thanks for the info about the luggage. We'll keep that in mind.

Thanks everyone. I went ahead and booked it for $352 which I thought was pretty good for four people since it included the meals. I figured a short bed may still be more comfortable to sleep than a coach chair. Now I just need to watch to see if I can snag cheap sleepers on the return. First class out at this point, coach back.

Also thanks for the info about the luggage. We'll keep that in mind.
I booked two roomettes right across from each other, which acutally ended up being cheaper for us. My daughter, 11 and taller than me, and my 9 year old son will sleep in one and me and my 7 year-old in another. I imagine during the day, my daughter will sit with me and the boys will keep the bed down and play in the other. I see you have two on the way out. I think the kids like to have their own area.

Last edited by a moderator:
Concerning the CZ->Cardinal, yes it does seem to be short. But as mentioned, Amtrak may bus you between trains.

Once I was on the CZ connecting to the Cardinal. I believe in Iowa we were running 1-2 hours late, and I was concerned about my connection. However, due to so much padding, the CZ actually arrived into Chicago EARLY!
biggrin.gif
I had no problem with the connection!
cool.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back