New to Amtrak - travel with young children

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How well behaved are your kids? There will be other people on this train, a lot of other people actually. Who won't want t deal with kids crying and screaming most of the trip because they are bored or over tired. Make sure you bring stuff for them to do or use baby benadryl. Of course you are worried about yourslef and the kids on your trip, that is to be expected, but please think of those around you as well on this trip.
I found this post googling the topic. I realize it is an older post. However, I was completely appalled by the oringinal poster's attitude. NO I will not be drugging my kids to suit you. They are well-behaved, but they are very young still and act like kids, not adults. If this is a problem for you, DRIVE!! Apparently PUBLIC transportation is not for you!!
Julie: If you havene't figured out by now, the most self assured experts in may fields are those who have never had to get their hands dirty working in it. This goes double for dealing with children and child raising in general. Either tune them out completely or tell then to call you when there youngest has reached the age of 18. We have five. My baby just turned 30. Let me tell you raising kids is a wild ride and not for the fainthearted. Are they all living the way we taught them? No. Are they all self supproting useful members of society? Yes, although for a couple we were wondering for a while. Have they been hauled about on public transortation? Yes, quite a few times.

How well behaved are your kids? There will be other people on this train, a lot of other people actually. Who won't want t deal with kids crying and screaming most of the trip because they are bored or over tired. Make sure you bring stuff for them to do or use baby benadryl. Of course you are worried about yourslef and the kids on your trip, that is to be expected, but please think of those around you as well on this trip.
I found this post googling the topic. I realize it is an older post. However, I was completely appalled by the oringinal poster's attitude. NO I will not be drugging my kids to suit you. They are well-behaved, but they are very young still and act like kids, not adults. If this is a problem for you, DRIVE!! Apparently PUBLIC transportation is not for you!!

Since it would be most likely you and your child causing the disturbance, maybe you should drive. That way when they start to get out of hand you can pull over at a rest stop or gas station and get them to behave a again. Rather than disturb those who are riding in the same rail car as you.

Hi,

I think it is important to remember that all children cry sometimes, many don't like to sit still for long, and at the end of the day, they should be allowed to behave as children.. Amtrak trains are not a private members club for passengers without children, so lets all be nice to each other..

Ed :cool:

As was saids this is an old thread! This topic is like discusing, guns,gays,relgion and politics, everyone has their own ideas, entitled to express them but WC Fields did say that "Anyone who dislikes children and dogs can't be all bad!" :lol: Of course kids are great, and their mothers are even better, but unruly kids in public is a problem and how else can I say it, it's the parents fault when they can't behave, as was saaids if your darlings act up, drive,fly or leave them home with with the grandparents! (Of course my grandaughter is a saint! :lol: ) Id suggest the Admin close this one, it's pretty much run it's course, all Hate mail can go to SPAM or to the_traveler in RI! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Julie: If you havene't figured out by now, the most self assured experts in may fields are those who have never had to get their hands dirty working in it. This goes double for dealing with children and child raising in general. Either tune them out completely or tell then to call you when there youngest has reached the age of 18. We have five. My baby just turned 30. Let me tell you raising kids is a wild ride and not for the fainthearted. Are they all living the way we taught them? No. Are they all self supproting useful members of society? Yes, although for a couple we were wondering for a while. Have they been hauled about on public transortation? Yes, quite a few times.
Kids are a wild ride, indeed. Our "baby" is 27, and our oldest just turned 33. Both our kids hit the road with us before they were two, and both developed our love of travel. I have often said that kids are like computers. Once you think you have a good handle on things, something happens that simply confounds you. The difference: no "CNTR-ALT-DEL" reboot. We survived, and they are great adults.

Our kids were both extremely well behaved on trains and planes, to the point that flight attendants would sneak first class desserts to them for being so good. Hey, wait: my wife and I never got a special dessert. Maybe WE were the trouble makers. ^_^

Last edited by a moderator:
My mom had some words of wisdom when I became a mom. Don't ever think "My child wouldn't do that." She told me that absolutely they will have done it. I could never get by with anything. While other parents believed the teacher was out to get their precious darling, my mom sided with the teacher. Are my kids brats? What kid isn't? Are they angel? Heck no. When you accept that your children aren't perfect your parenting improves. I'm not their friend and I'm not here to be liked. Would my kids misbehave on Amtrak? If I wasn't next to them, without a doubt they would. Children need supervision. When they have had expectations their entire life and it has been enforced, they generally perform well. Why would my kids not misbehave when I am with them. Because they would be afraid I would boot them off the train! Could be because we left Disneyland early once when they were not behaving (fighting with each other). Don't think they have ever forgotten that or forgiven me, lol. But I am a parent not a friend. They don't have to like me, they just have to obey me. Funny thing is I have a closer relationship with my kids than my friend who doesn't make hers mind and wants to play friend does. Could be I can take my kids on a vacation without fear. And yes, I would really take them home if they caused problems on the train. Not even my child with bipolar has a many behaviors as some kids out there. I'm not a better mother than anyone else nor are my kids any better. I just mean what I say, never use empty threats and believe that my kids are like any other - with potential to misbehave without supervision. But I work in the behavior field, so I have seen all the examples of children without rules and parents afraid to be a parent.

I agree with sainted grandchildren. I couldn't get away with anything but before my parents passed away, my children were angels. Not fair!

Children are human too and we parents pay for their ticket and they have every right to be themselves on a train just as they would be at home. I agree the kids that are misbehaving need to be corrected and need to mind but parents don't always have control over the behavior of their children.

This does not make them less of a person and they need to be respected. I am planning to travel a very long distance on a train with 4 children, I hope that I do not run into any people who will treat me badly for traveling on Amtrak with my children, we have family on the East coast and live in Wyoming. We do not own a vehicle that is reliable to travel that far but my children need to visit their family so Amtrak was the best choice.

I will pack a lot of things for them to do and my husband and I will do our best to keep the under control but there are no guarantees with children and people need to be respectful.

*********************** Moderator Note - this thread is 7 months old ******************************************

Last edited:
Children are human too and we parents pay for their ticket and they have every right to be themselves on a train just as they would be at home.
What an interesting chose of words. Too bad the train is not your home. When you start paying for everyone else's ticket you can start letting your kids treat the train like it's their own home. Until then your ticket will continue to end where my ticket begins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back