Questions about Rail Pass

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PJRACER

Service Attendant
OK.....so you go buy the AMTRAK Rail Pass...the eight (8) segment pass for $389 (seniors 62+). Someplace in the forum I have seen mention that they have dedicated amount of seats just for those type of pass......or did I read something wrong. I realize, that once you purchase the pass, you then book your trip with pass in hand, or am I wrong again. I know I could dial the 800 # and probably get those answers, but the people on this forum are so much more knowlegeable about AMTRAK, most could pass as agents.

1. One segment counts as one stepping on the train, no matter if you travel from Chicago to Los Angeles or just to Galesburg.

2. Booking with a railpass is possible 180 days before the travel date.

3. Sleeper Surcharges are the same as quoted on the Amtrak Website.

4. As far as I know there are always seats available 180 before, but the may be sold out quickly.

So you will have just to do this:

How Do I Get My Tickets?Make Reservations: For travelers outside of the United States, send your name, desired travel date(s), your USA Rail Pass Confirmation Number and the train(s) on which you want to travel to [email protected] prior to arriving in the United States, or call (001) 215-856-7953 during regular business hours (Monday-Friday from 8:30-17:00 ET).

If you are already in the United States or Canada, call 1-800-USA-RAIL (1-800-872-7245) and speak to a reservations agent. Travelers outside of the United States and Canada, call (001) 215-856-7953.

Pick-up Pass and Ticket(s): You can pick up your pass and tickets at any staffed Amtrak ticket office in many Amtrak stations by showing your USA Rail Pass or Pass Confirmation Number.
I'm not sure wether you have to purchase the pass to let them check whether there are seats available.

But you can buy the pass and reserve the segments at the same time, so there is virtually no time in which seats may sell out.

Thank you......that is all good information......and I take it that there is no certain amount of seats that are dedicated (put aside) for those with Rail Passes.

I bought a pass for our upcoming trip. Before I purchased it, the reservation agent reserved all seats and accomodations. I paid for the pass and accomodations at the same time. The nice part about mine, is I was able to use it for the shuttle from Phoenix to Flagstaff and back too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back