Adirondack Full Dome Seat Strategy

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jim55

Service Attendant
For anyone who has done the fall color Adirondack trip or knows about it. My wife and I will board at Albany and hope to sit in the dome car (hope its there). Is there any strategy one can look for to improve the odds of getting a seat or is it full from previouse station stops? Thanks, Jim

For anyone who has done the fall color Adirondack trip or knows about it. My wife and I will board at Albany and hope to sit in the dome car (hope its there). Is there any strategy one can look for to improve the odds of getting a seat or is it full from previouse station stops? Thanks, Jim
You can try getting a conductor's hat and jacket. :giggle:

Last year I rode in the dome there were never more then 6-10 people in it. You shouldn't have a problem getting your pick of the seats.

DSC_0476.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The dome is put on in Albany, and runs north to Montreal on Thursday, Saturday and Monday. It runs south from Montreal to Albany on Friday, Sunday and Tuesday. Also it will only be there until (IIRC) the 3rd week in October!
ohmy.gif

I have not ridden the Adirondack when the Great Dome was on, but I used to ride it often when the old bubble top dome was on in the 70's and 80's. I was almost the only one up top for most of the route! (And the bubble top dome is only 1/3 of the car!)

The most scenic portion is just north of Whitehall to just south of Plattsburgh - where it follows the shoreline of Lake Champlain (right side)! Although this whole route is scenic!
wink.gif

I'll be on it on October 18 and 19.
cool.gif

The dome is put on in Albany, and runs north to Montreal on Thursday, Saturday and Monday. It runs south from Montreal to Albany on Friday, Sunday and Tuesday. Also it will only be there until (IIRC) the 3rd week in October!
ohmy.gif

I have not ridden the Adirondack when the Great Dome was on, but I used to ride it often when the old bubble top dome was on in the 70's and 80's. I was almost the only one up top for most of the route! (And the bubble top dome is only 1/3 of the car!)

The most scenic portion is just north of Whitehall to just south of Plattsburgh - where it follows the shoreline of Lake Champlain (right side)! Although this whole route is scenic!
wink.gif

I'll be on it on October 18 and 19.
cool.gif
Traveller: After your dome ride on the Adirondak I'd be interested in hearing your opinion as to which dome is better, the full or half dome. I've never ridden in a full dome car, many times in a half dome. From the picture above it looks like the forward view may be more difficult than in a half dome as it appears the front windows are smaller and higher up. I like the table set up in the full dome versus the straight chair arrangement in the half domes I rode.

Again, would be interested in your thoughts.

:hi: Big Iron: Wouldnt want to offend Whooz (official weather man/transportation co-ordinator for the gathering in St. Louis! ( also fez wearer and California Chamber of Commerce flack)

However The Big Dome, his personal car on the California Surliners, is pretty sweet :wub: ! I got to ride it from SBA-SAN this summer, however the partial Dome cars like on Private Varnish and the VIA LD trains ARE better for overall sight seeing! The point about he arrangments of the seats etc. is valid, the Big Dome is better IMO on this feature! Just wish they had a snack bar/bar like the old days! There's no such a thing as bad Dome Car, only too few of them! Hope that rumour about Amtrak buying some from Private sources (did I start it?)is TRUE! ;) BTW-the_traveler insists on having privacy when he is in the penthouse so his staff will probably keep all the rif raff away from hie and his guests on the trip to MTL later this month! :lol: :lol: :lol:

:hi: Big Iron: Wouldnt want to offend Whooz (official weather man/transportation co-ordinator for the gathering in St. Louis! ( also fez wearer and California Chamber of Commerce flack)

However The Big Dome, his personal car on the California Surliners, is pretty sweet :wub: ! I got to ride it from SBA-SAN this summer, however the partial Dome cars like on Private Varnish and the VIA LD trains ARE better for overall sight seeing! The point about he arrangments of the seats etc. is valid, the Big Dome is better IMO on this feature! Just wish they had a snack bar/bar like the old days! There's no such a thing as bad Dome Car, only too few of them! Hope that rumour about Amtrak buying some from Private sources (did I start it?)is TRUE! ;) BTW-the_traveler insists on having privacy when he is in the penthouse so his staff will probably keep all the rif raff away from hie and his guests on the trip to MTL later this month! :lol: :lol: :lol:
I can see two huge bouncers at the steps of the dome guarding the velvet rope only letting those in that are A-List celebs with the Traveller upstairs donning his Jack Nicholson sunglasses sipping on a Dos Equis. No slight on Whooz's favorite ride, never been in one so I can't begin to deride his ride. Some crew members on the CL, back in the dome days, called the dome car the "love shack" for reasons best left to ones imagination Stay thirsty my friends.

:hi: Is that Amtraks version of the "Mile High club!" Why didnt I think of that back in the day when lots of Domes on overnight trains and when all the old people and kids went to sleep, It was turn down the lights, break out the booze, turn up the music, party time baby! :D ;) :wub:

:hi: Is that Amtraks version of the "Mile High club!" Why didnt I think of that back in the day when lots of Domes on overnight trains and when all the old people and kids went to sleep, It was turn down the lights, break out the booze, turn up the music, party time baby! :D ;) :wub:
Is that the train doing the rocking or............... :giggle:

Amtrak buying domes from private sources.....some information in this thread at railroad.net.

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=75562

Amtrak buying domes from private sources.....some information in this thread at railroad.net.

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=75562
I believe the Amtrak report says new equipment for the Cardinal in FY2013

i

I rode the Adirondack this weekend. The dome was very well, and at times extremely well, patronized. Like there were times when there were no seats to be found in the Dome. So a good strategy would be to get to the Dome as soon as possible.

If you are boarding at Albany you will be placed in one of the two Amfleet I cars which are closer to the Dome, which should make grabbing a seat in the Dome easier.

The train back from Montreal started from Montreal about 2/3rd full and then pretty much filled up completely as it got closer to Albany.The Two Amfleet IIs which in which all New York passengers were placed started from Montreal with perhaps a total of maybe 10 or less empty seats. In short the train was jam packed.

The US CBP did a commendable job clearing the train in almost exactly one hour at Rouses Point. They did damn site better than the Canadian CBSA at Lacolle going the other way on far less heavily loaded train, in which they dillied and dallied and spent an hour and a half doing god knows what.

Adirondack consist is:

NYP - ALB:

P32ACDM

3x Amfleet I

1x Amfleet 1 Food Service

2x Amfleet II

ALB - MTR

P42

[superdome Ocean View] on dome days

2x Amfleet I

1x Amfleet I Food Service

2x Amfleet II

Usually all through Montreal passengers are place in the Amfleet IIs and the rest in the Amfleet Is,

I was on the Adirondack this past weekend as well, and I can say that the Great Dome was very well patronized. They also had the Trails & Rails guides on board in the dome. IMHO, I think there were too many guides on 69 on Saturday, Some of the info was interesting, but I was tuning in and out most of the time. On #68 on Sunday, there was only one guide on board i believe, and I liked how he presented his knowledge by having conversations with sections of the car instead of the big PA system that Saturday's crew brought on board.

Honestly, I wouldn't wait for an announcement to let you know the dome is open. As soon as your ticket is collected, hop on up there! :)

I was on the Adirondack this past weekend as well, and I can say that the Great Dome was very well patronized. They also had the Trails & Rails guides on board in the dome. IMHO, I think there were too many guides on 69 on Saturday, Some of the info was interesting, but I was tuning in and out most of the time. On #68 on Sunday, there was only one guide on board i believe, and I liked how he presented his knowledge by having conversations with sections of the car instead of the big PA system that Saturday's crew brought on board.
Yeah, when I rode we had a guy with speakers plop down right across from us and it was kind of annoying. He eventually turned the speakers off after people politely complained about the volume. (Actually somebody said something as a joke that made it clear that he thought it was too loud, and several other people laughed in agreement. But I can't remember what the joke actually was.)

I personally can do without the guides, although it was ok without the speakers. I like to just take things in on my own, and if there's something I see that's interesting enough to remember, I'll look it up later.

I also rode the Adirondack recently - on Friday 10/1 fro MTR to NYP.

They did not open the dome car until after they collected all tickets at St. Catherines, so we could not see Montreal from the dome.

They closed the dome at customs obviously. It reopenned just after customs.

They shut it down at Saratoga for arrival into Albany.

It was 1/8 full up until customs and then 7/8 full through the scenic parts (along Lake Champlaine).

It was a real treat! I sat right up at the front - immediately behind the engine. Anytime the tracks curved left, I could see the tracks ahead. I call that the ultimate railfan window!

They did not open the dome car until after they collected all tickets at St. Catherines, so we could not see Montreal from the dome.
Surely you mean St. Lambert? If you went to St. Catherines you were clearly on the way to Quebec City and not New York :p The Adirondack turns right off the Quebec City main way before St. Catherines.

Surely you mean St. Lambert? If you went to St. Catherines you were clearly on the way to Quebec City and not New York
tongue.gif
The Adirondack turns right off the Quebec City main way before St. Catherines.
Isn't there also a St. Catharines stop on the Maple Leaf as well?

Surely you mean St. Lambert? If you went to St. Catherines you were clearly on the way to Quebec City and not New York
tongue.gif
Yes, there's a stop for St. Catherines on the Maple Leaf.

tongue.gif
You're correct of course. Talk about being disoriented, that would be moi. :blush: If you passed St. Catherines, you are indeed headed towards Niagara Falls and not Quebec City :)

I tried to book train for today but its sold out and turned into a bus.

3069 Bus

2010-10-06T11:05:00.000-04:00 Albany-Rensselaer, NY

Albany-Rensselaer

(ALB)

Departs: 11:05 AM

Wed Oct 06 2010

Albany-Rensselaer, NY (ALB)

Station News Arrives: 7:10 PM

Wed Oct 06 2010

Montreal, QC (MTR) Montreal, QC

Montreal

(MTR)

Station News PT8H5M Duration: 8 hr, 5 min Amenities

Train sold out

I tried to book train for today but its sold out and turned into a bus.

3069 Bus

Station News PT8H5M Duration: 8 hr, 5 min Amenities

Train sold out
There's a bulletin on Amtrak's website today, stating that CP is doing track work today.

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?c=AM_Alert_C&pagename=am/AM_Alert_C/Alerts_Popup&p=1237608345018&cid=1248542777907

One Day Service Change - Adirondack Trains 68 and 69
Effective October 6, 2010 Only

On Wednesday, October 6, track work being performed by Canadian Pacific Railway will affect Adirondack Trains 68 and 69, as shown below:

Train 68, which normally originates in Montreal, will operate between Albany-Rensselaer and New York. Passengers will be provided alternate transportation from Montreal to Albany-Rensselaer and all intermediate stations.

Train 69, which originates in New York, will terminate at Albany-Rensselaer, where alternate transportation will be provided to Montreal and all intermediate stations."
At least they waited until Wednesday when the Great Dome isn't running at all.

Re getting to the dome early: The conductor won't let you in until he/she lifts your tickets. When Whooz and I rode last year, we boarded before the dome was attached then were allowed to wait in the coach that would be next to it for quicker entry as soon as he opened it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back