Breakfast on #22 out of San Antonio?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

IHC

Service Attendant
I once rode #22 in sleeper out of San Antonio. This was a day where it originated by itself, there was no connecting #422 car from Los Angeles.

The dining car and cafe car were both closed, as the food service attendants for both cars did not get on the train until Austin. Sleeper passengers got a box breakfast. Coach passengers got nothing, and couldn't even buy anything either as the lounge car was closed.

My question is, on the days where the #422 car from Los Angeles gets attached, is the diner and cafe car open for breakfast on those days? Or will it be the same thing I encountered above, with no meal service until lunch?

I once rode #22 in sleeper out of San Antonio. This was a day where it originated by itself, there was no connecting #422 car from Los Angeles.

The dining car and cafe car were both closed, as the food service attendants for both cars did not get on the train until Austin. Sleeper passengers got a box breakfast. Coach passengers got nothing, and couldn't even buy anything either as the lounge car was closed.

My question is, on the days where the #422 car from Los Angeles gets attached, is the diner and cafe car open for breakfast on those days? Or will it be the same thing I encountered above, with no meal service until lunch?
Currently it will be exactly the same, however OBS staff have been informed that perhaps as early as the new schedule this fall that the diner crew will stay on the train until SAS instead of getting off in AUS. This was done because Amtrak didnt want to pay the diner crew for the extra time, resulting in the box breakfast, "dinner" served on #21/#421 @ 4:30PM in the afternoon etc. If and when the daily CHI-LAX train ever starts there will be a real diner on this train instead of a CCC I have been told!

Maybe in our lifetime? :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
No!
sad.gif
The last time I took #422, I had a box breakfast out of SAS.
sad.gif

The good news is I was in room 10, so I was 5 feet from the CCC when I woke up!
smile.gif
The bad news is I met Jim in Austin!
ohmy.gif

I would like to add that the cafe car has been open on my trips between San Antonio and Austin. I don't know the specific hours but the cafe opens before San Marcos on the Northbound train and doesn't close until an hour or so out of Austin on the Southbound train IIRC. Sleeper passengers won't get anything for free from the cafe car to my understanding, but it's there if you don't mind paying for it. Personally I wish there was some place near the station where you could get real food made fresh and simply take it onto the train for a nice leisurely outbound meal of your own creation. That would suit me just fine.

Currently it will be exactly the same, however OBS staff have been informed that perhaps as early as the new schedule this fall that the diner crew will stay on the train until SAS instead of getting off in AUS. This was done because Amtrak didnt want to pay the diner crew for the extra time, resulting in the box breakfast, "dinner" served on #21/#421 @ 4:30PM in the afternoon etc. If and when the daily CHI-LAX train ever starts there will be a real diner on this train instead of a CCC I have been told!

Maybe in our lifetime? :rolleyes:
I hope it does come to pass Jim.It would only make sense to have the full diner if they put on a stub eastbound to NOL; a CCC would be swapped after the train left SAS. I only wish I was the caterer for those box breakfasts. The SA told us they charge $20 a pop for juice, cereal, yogurt and a muffin!

Yeah Jay, $20 is pretty pricey for a boxed breakfast! :eek: I too have found the cafe in the lounge car open on the way to Austin, it closes around the Taylor stop for the attendants break. On the SB the lounge car usually shuts down after the San Marcos stop in order to have all the paperwork and cleanup done so the crew can head for the motel, 5AM comes early the next morning on the turnaround!If and when the diner crew does start running to/from SAS

(there has been crew gossip that the daily Eagle will change crews in FTW or SAS???)dinner should come later on the Southbound, a real breakfast should be served on the Northbound. Of course alot will depend on the new schedule also!

In one month, the CCC will be staffed all the way to SAS. No more boxed meals or short dinner times.

In one month, the CCC will be staffed all the way to SAS. No more boxed meals or short dinner times.
Excellent news Blake, sounds like TEMPO is getting stuff done even if the sleepers are constantly being HIGH BUCKET as the prices rise! Good revenue management but bad news for use poor folks! ;) Next step is the Daily Eagle to LAX when UP stops the extortian they are trying to pull off! :angry2:

So, the diner will be open for breakfast on #22 leaving San Antonio?
Yes, if the change finally does happen next month.
That'll get a big "WHO HOO!" from me, I'll be riding end of October.

(If I can remember, I'll personally report back my own personal investigation of this matter.)

The extended dining car service will begin on October 19 (train 21 departing CHI on October 18). Northbound service will start October 20.

The extended dining car service will begin on October 19 (train 21 departing CHI on October 18). Northbound service will start October 20.
Awesome! Sounds like I'll get the extended dining. :D :D :D

I've set a reminder for myself in Outlook to update this post on 11/1 (if someone else doesn't beat me to it or I forget to do it sooner, I very well could get distracted with video from the trip :rolleyes: ).

Awesome! Sounds like I'll get the extended dining. :D :D :D

I've set a reminder for myself in Outlook to update this post on 11/1 (if someone else doesn't beat me to it or I forget to do it sooner, I very well could get distracted with video from the trip :rolleyes: ).
Just got off TE 22 and I have personally confirmed this. Breakfast started roughly 30 minutes outside SAS. I don't remember how late dinner went, but I definately had dinner after Austin.

Chris and Thelma, my dining car attendants for the last 4 days, were excellent.

Many inches around my waist gave their lives to bring you this information. Long live the Angus Burger (with cheese)!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back