Changes to Accepted Forms of Payment

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I imagine there was similar outrage when some businesses stopped accepting gold dust, sea shells, and beads. That reminds me of a good joke a friend telegraphed the other day...

Before you tell us that joke PM me as I just got a good one via smoke signal, maybe it is the same one.

News Flash! just came in three ships spotted off the SE coast.

help.gif
help.gif
help.gif

During more than 30 years traveling as an airline employee on business or pleasure in the US and possessions as well as Europe, the Middle East and Africa I NEVER used Traveler's Checks/Cheques. They were/are a waste of time and have always been difficult to exchange outside of banks or large hotels. Not to mention severe cases of writer's cramp.

Best regards,

Rodger

I have never used Travellers Checks - I have a Visa card and a Mastercard and and generally one of them works. I also have a debit card which can be used in a magic machine in the wall to obtain hard cash :)

As long as Amtrak continue to accept my (UK) Visa card I will be happy (and I think a Visa card is a Visa card regardless of where it's from). I did once have my CC company call up "we want to verify a transaction of 300 pounds to a company called Amtrak" .. "yeah that'd be right" :lol:

In contrast, In the Netherlands it's seemingly impossible to get a ticket from a machine without either alot of coins or a Dutch debit card.. which isn't great for travellers!

There are few methods of transportation that I actively hate but taxis are fast becoming one of them. Here in our town licensed cabs are supposed to offer credit card purchases according to the sticker on the window, but they almost always have a sudden "malfunction" that is only discovered at the drop-off point.

It wouldn't be so bad were it not for the fact that every five minutes of driving results in another $20 on the meter. A ten minute ride to the Amtrak station can cost as much as $40, which is more than a round trip on Amtrak to Austin. Taking the cab both ways can be up to $80, which is as much as train ticket to El Paso. Keep in mind that there are ZERO passenger parking spaces at our Amtrak station in a catchment area of two million potential riders.

There are billboards all over town telling people to take a cab rather than drive while buzzed, which I strongly agree with, but how many folks end a night of heavy partying with an extra $50 in cash for cab fare home? If they really wanted people to take the cab they'd lower the city's taxi rates so average people could afford them on a regular basis. It's not like we're getting nice car to ride in, they're all junk heaps with a new coat of orange or white paint and some cheesy faux luxury name on the side.

Although credit card usage is much less outside the US, the opposite is true for debit card usage. The countries that still run mainly on cash are one that have iffy banking systems.
Wait, so you're saying Japan has "iffy" banking systems? How so?

I imagine there was similar outrage when some businesses stopped accepting gold dust, sea shells, and beads.
"Outrage" hasn't yet shown up in this thread. It's mainly filled with people who have never used travelers checks trying to tell those of us who have how it works. For instance...

I NEVER used Traveler's Checks/Cheques. They were/are a waste of time and have always been difficult to exchange outside of banks or large hotels. Not to mention severe cases of writer's cramp.
I love it when people who have NEVER done something tell you what it's like. ;)

"Outrage" hasn't yet shown up in this thread. It's mainly filled with people who have never used travelers checks trying to tell those of us who have how it works. For instance...
Can I change some of my beads for your "travelers checks?" I'm about to embark on a 3-month steamer trip to the Orient. I've heard that Siam does not participate in the bead trade, and as I'd like to be able to purchase rubies for my betrothed back here in the 36 states. Perhaps they will come in handy with the Maharaj in Bombay as well.

I used to use Traveler's Checks a lot, but they became somewhat redundant once ATMs became available across the world and they started giving the best exchange rates. So I stopped using Traveler's Checks. All that I was using TCs for was to not carry a pile of cash around. But on the whole using TCs is sort of like loaning that money to Amex for the duration without getting any returns. So I always tried to get rid of them as fast as possible, and never bought them from anyone who charged any money for them.

So at least I have no reason to be outraged.

Can I change some of my beads for your "travelers checks?" I'm about to embark on a 3-month steamer trip to the Orient. I've heard that Siam does not participate in the bead trade, and as I'd like to be able to purchase rubies for my betrothed back here in the 36 states. Perhaps they will come in handy with the Maharaj in Bombay as well.
I guess this is supposed to be funny? :huh:

DAXOMNI,

While it is TRUE, I never availed myself of the "convenience" of travelers checks/cheques; I seldom traveled alone and observed as my traveling companions attempted to write their names numerous times in a hotel in Cairo the same way they did at their local bank some weeks before. Additionally shared their frustration and had to loan them money because the items they were never to have left home without were not accespted at various agencies.

Thanks,

Best regards,

Rodger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back